Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-19, 08:43

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Vitamin D Supplements and Prevention of Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease 1-3-2019

Vitamin D Supplements and Prevention of Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease 1-3-2019 [ nejm.org ]

Abstract
BACKGROUND
It is unclear whether supplementation with vitamin D reduces the risk of cancer or cardiovascular disease, and data from randomized trials are limited.

- - -

CONCLUSIONS
Supplementation with vitamin D did not result in a lower incidence of invasive cancer or cardiovascular events than placebo.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-19, 09:42

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Anyone notice the abstract doesn’t match the conclusion?

SCIENCE, people!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 01:42

Plan: General low-carb
Stats: 197/166/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 84%

It could be due to the fact that taking 2,000 IU/day isn't enough for optimal health. I find that I need at least 5,000 IUs during spring and summer and upwards of 10,000 during winter to feel well.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 05:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

My response exactly the same as Frankie, with my oncologist's support I have been managing D levels to over 50, 70 ideal but under 100. It is tested in February and I need to be taking 10K then to be in range. In addition, what has made a supplements actually effective, was removing all processed seed oils from diet, adding and using only natural saturated and mono-saturated fats. Vit D is a fat solvable vitamin, and without good fats I could take those super high supplements and the Vit D serum level would not budge. Safely getting more sun is first line treatment, then supplements. More than 2K, especially if older.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 06:49

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
My response exactly the same as Frankie, with my oncologist's support I have been managing D levels to over 50, 70 ideal but under 100. It is tested in February and I need to be taking 10K then to be in range. In addition, what has made a supplements actually effective, was removing all processed seed oils from diet, adding and using only natural saturated and mono-saturated fats. Vit D is a fat solvable vitamin, and without good fats I could take those super high supplements and the Vit D serum level would not budge. Safely getting more sun is first line treatment, then supplements. More than 2K, especially if older.

I'd been reading about vit d on these forums for years and finally started taking some awhile ago. When I got up to 5k iu, I began to notice it seems to help my depression. I was happy when my gyn ordered a vit d test for me this past year. Thanks to these forums, I knew that the 47 I got as a result, while the lab said this was good, was not enough, and have since added another 1k (being conservative) daily.
If I don't take this for 2-3 days, for whatever reason, I def. begin to get the blues as I will call it.
My goal this year, in part as a way to deal with many issues at once, is to get out onto my back deck, and soak up that sun.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 07:54

BF:

Quote:
what has made a supplements actually effective, was removing all processed seed oils from diet, adding and using only natural saturated and mono-saturated fats. Vit D is a fat solvable vitamin, and without good fats I could take those super high supplements and the Vit D serum level would not budge.

That is fascinating, Janet. I am concentrating on no seed oils in my restart, and every bottle of salad dressing (all thrown out) had canola oil as the first ingredient.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 08:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Here is an earlier post on it with links to two articles, https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...554&postcount=8

And my favorite Dr. Gary Fettke quote:
"Sugar Makes You Hungry, Carbohydrates Make You Fat, and Polyunsaturated Oils Make You Inflamed and Sick. "

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-15-19 at 08:54.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 09:03

BF:

Great points everyone! Especially on omega 6 seed oils.

#9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 11:25

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I tossed the seed oils several months ago-- use grape seed oil in its place right now. Otherwise sesame oil in stir fries, CO for sauteing, and butter when I can. And EVOO.

Still have resurvations about using grain fed fats, hoping to find a reasonable source of grassfed fats and meats. But in the meantime using animal fats that are grain fed.

Talked to a friend yesterday about VIt D. SHe was having problems with her thyroid about ten years ago; she upped her VIt D intake and the problem resolved itself.

As far as feeling better, aka the blues, several things seem to have made life better for me. One was taking Mg citrate. I take only one rather than two tablets, and that seems to be helpful. The absorbtion rate is still not super but FAR better than the oxide form. So my estimate is about 20% of RDA for magnesiumvia a daily tablet has helped. Also recently added l-tyrosine. Crying is less, and the waterworks shut off sooner. Overall, I have been able to avoid frank depression for MANY years; and even the fall/ winter SAD is far away for MANY years. The use of L-tyrosine is a new addition, and not for everyone; I am ADD and naturally too low in dopamine.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-19, 12:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Still have resurvations about using grain fed fats, hoping to find a reasonable source of grassfed fats and meats. But in the meantime using animal fats that are grain fed.
fatworks has grass fed fats! got an order of beef tallow & organic grass fed cultured cow milk ghee coming.

#11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 13:13

Plan: General low-carb
Stats: 197/166/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
My response exactly the same as Frankie, with my oncologist's support I have been managing D levels to over 50, 70 ideal but under 100. It is tested in February and I need to be taking 10K then to be in range.

When I first started getting tested years ago, I was shocked that my numbers were in the 20s. It was in the middle of summer, I had been sunbathing every day in my bathing suit for about two months. I can't remember if I had been taking D3 at the time; if I had, it was only a measly 1 or 2,000 IUs.

Now it's in the 60s to 70s. However, I only started taking a higher amount of D3 about a year ago. Ever since then, I haven't been sick. Even when I've over-done it on the crappy carbs or stayed up too late too many nights in a row. I just get a few sneezes, and that's it.

Quote:
In addition, what has made a supplements actually effective, was removing all processed seed oils from diet, adding and using only natural saturated and mono-saturated fats. Vit D is a fat solvable vitamin, and without good fats I could take those super high supplements and the Vit D serum level would not budge. Safely getting more sun is first line treatment, then supplements. More than 2K, especially if older.

I agree, especially with removing processed oils. It sure makes staying compliant with a LC diet easier, since most chips and other snacks contain sunflower, safflower, canola, and/or other oils not fit for human consumption.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 13:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
I tossed the seed oils several months ago-- use grape seed oil in its place right now. Otherwise sesame oil in stir fries, CO for sauteing, and butter when I can. And EVOO.

I am confused. Aren't grape see and sesame oil both SEEDS?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 14:09

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I am confused. Aren't grape see and sesame oil both SEEDS?

That's what I've wondered before so I keep the sesame oil to once in a blue moon and I don't use grape seed oil at all. I Can't remember what, but it was something not so good about Grape seed...
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 12:07

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I grabbed the first google result that showed up and it says grape seed oil is 70 percent polyunsaturated fat. Omega 6 polyunsaturated fat is inflammatory in large amounts, so not looking good for this product. Fairly high omega 6 polyunsaturated fat in sesame seed oil, too, although it's so strongly flavored that who would use very much of it, I just add a little for flavoring in some dishes. For making home made mayo and dressings I've found avocado oil is mild in flavor and much lower in polyunsaturates. EVOO is a good oil but I find the taste too strong for mayo. Coconut is a good healthy oil but too stiff when cooled for stuff like mayo making.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 12:19

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hi Zei, I see you're in Texas. I buy California Olive Ranch at most of the stores here. It is fresh with an expiration date on every bottle and has a very mild taste that is mostly unnoticeable.
It's first cold press, extra virgin olive oil. I've read a lot about the imports that might sit in warehouses for months and many times articles said it's not pure olive oil. There is nothing worse than a bottle that has gone rancid.
Years ago it wasn't available like now but only imported in tiny bottles and it always tasted very strong probably because it was already rancid. I always remember ruining some good food because of that.