Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-06-13, 16:55

Plan: Low Carb/High Fat
Stats: 271/262.6/170 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 8%
Question They always advised to eat MORE to lose weight. Hmmmmmm

Hi everyone,

Five years ago I did the SBD and was very successful with it. This time, I don't know WHAT diet I am on, I'm just trying to cut out bad carbs and I'm eating a ton of meat and cheese and heavy cream, and a little green veggies. Oh, and eggs.

The reason I don't want to do the SBD again was that I remember how I had to eat eggs, legumes (pinto beans or something), and a veggies (usually green beans or broccoli for me) for breakfast. And I was NEVER a breakfast eater. I dreaded getting up, knowing I had to eat legumes and those green beans AND legumes for breakfast. I was told we HAD to eat breakfast AND snacks inbetween meals (string cheese or an egg) and then lunch, snack, dinner and if we wanted, some small sf treat for dessert. I gagged about the breakfast. HATED eating breakfast!!

So this time, I'm NOT eating any legumes and I'm definitely NOT eating breakfast! I'm eating when I feel like I'm ready to eat and then I eat a big ribeye and maybe some cheese/broccoli soup I made, or some deviled eggs...

Anyhow, to get on with it, I was on another forum just for SBD and a lot of the time people would STALL. And the hard core SBD'ers and long-lifers said, "Hey, post your menu and wow, we see now that you need to eat MORE!!!"

HOW can that be?? I guess it seemed to work, I don't really remember--it was five years ago. But with the legumes in phase 1, and the allowance of milk, that is a lot more carbs than say, Atkins.

So, do you guys doing SBD think eating more when you stall really made you start losing weight again? Or was it something else going on?? I always wondered about this.

All I know is, I'm so happy to not be eating stuff like black beans and broccoli and scrambled eggs with cheese for breakfast now! Blechkk!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-13, 13:15

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 222/203/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 31%

I would recommend you pick a plan, buy the book, read it, re-read it and then follow it to the letter. Then if it's not working, or you are having an issue... ask questions, post menus, etc and ask for guidance. People here are great at advising on stuff like that. I really think all of the plans I've seen on this forum work, as long as you "work the plan". I've lost on Atkins, I've lost on SB. I'm back on SB now.

As far as being advised to "eat more" I think that would depend on a lot of variables including what plan you choose and foods you like, don't like, have allergies to, etc. I would never just tell someone "EAT MORE to lose weight!" It depends on what that "more" consists of and a lot of other things.

I have no idea if I actually answered your question because it was a hypothetical and almost seemed rhetorical but I tried. lol

Anyway, welcome to the forums. And good luck on your journey
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-13, 14:39

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

AAAAH RAMMSTEIN IST GUT!!!! \,,/ \,,/

That being said, the easiest low carb plan in my opinion is Protein Power. Thirty total carbs and you can eat what you want as long as the carbs are below that number.

Feuer frei!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-13, 15:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I'll answer in more detail later but will start with this..NO, you do not have to eat anything that you don't like. You don't have to eat eggs or beans...its always your choice!

more later!!

Welcome...by the way!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-13, 16:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
AAAAH RAMMSTEIN IST GUT!!!! \,,/ \,,/

Feuer frei!

I'm SO excited there is another R+ fan on board here! Du bist was du isst!! Rammstein für immer!

Thanks for the advice, and stay LIFAD!!

*For those of you who don't speak German, basically what I said was "You are what you eat" and LIFAD means "Liebe ist für alle da" which means There is Love for Everyone. ;-)
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-13, 16:16

BF:

Thank you, JudyNYC, I am looking forward to your thoughts on this.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-13, 16:52

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly B
Du bist was du isst!! Rammstein für immer!

Thanks for the advice, and stay LIFAD!!

*For those of you who don't speak German, basically what I said was "You are what you eat" and LIFAD means "Liebe ist für alle da" which means There is Love for Everyone. ;-)

Und ihr wisst was es ist!

("and you know what it is" for the non-German speakers)

Um .. the catchiest song about cannibalism you'll ever hear.

#8   ^
Old Wed, Aug-07-13, 18:07
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Hi everyone,

Five years ago I did the SBD and was very successful with it. This time, I don't know WHAT diet I am on, I'm just trying to cut out bad carbs and I'm eating a ton of meat and cheese and heavy cream, and a little green veggies. Oh, and eggs.

The reason I don't want to do the SBD again was that I remember how I had to eat eggs, legumes (pinto beans or something), and a veggies (usually green beans or broccoli for me) for breakfast. And I was NEVER a breakfast eater. I dreaded getting up, knowing I had to eat legumes and those green beans AND legumes for breakfast. I was told we HAD to eat breakfast AND snacks inbetween meals (string cheese or an egg) and then lunch, snack, dinner and if we wanted, some small sf treat for dessert. I gagged about the breakfast. HATED eating breakfast!!

So this time, I'm NOT eating any legumes and I'm definitely NOT eating breakfast! I'm eating when I feel like I'm ready to eat and then I eat a big ribeye and maybe some cheese/broccoli soup I made, or some deviled eggs...

As I said, you don't have to eat eggs or beans/legumes. They are part of the plan but so are many other food choices. I ate tuna, steak, hummus or cottage cheese for breakfast and mostly just had a small amount of yogurt with my morning coffee.
There is a meal plan guide and food list for you to choose from. You can find them on the first page of my journal, just click on my journal button, bottom right of my post.

Quote:
Anyhow, to get on with it, I was on another forum just for SBD and a lot of the time people would STALL. And the hard core SBD'ers and long-lifers said, "Hey, post your menu and wow, we see now that you need to eat MORE!!!"

We don't know what or how much you were eating back then nor do we know how much you'd lost and where you were in your journey. So I can really speak to this at all, sorry!

I hit 2 stalls during my weight loss phase.
1st stall I had to reduce my protions to break through it. It happens at about every 40-50 lbs of loss...you just have to be eating less when you don't have as much to lose as at the start.
2nd stall was tougher for me and I really had to reduce my total calorie count down to break it. So, I knocked out all cheese and nuts for 2-3 weeks until I broke through. Added them back in but in very small quantities.

Quote:
HOW can that be?? I guess it seemed to work, I don't really remember--it was five years ago. But with the legumes in phase 1, and the allowance of milk, that is a lot more carbs than say, Atkins.

So, do you guys doing SBD think eating more when you stall really made you start losing weight again? Or was it something else going on?? I always wondered about this.

All I know is, I'm so happy to not be eating stuff like black beans and broccoli and scrambled eggs with cheese for breakfast now! Blechkk!

Did I answer your questions? or some of them?

You can review my food entries for all 800 days that I was in weight loss mode by going to page 1 of my current journal and finding the link to my first journal.
I've not regained any of my weight in 8 yrs now...simply because I still eat now the way I ate to lose it. I created my food plan to be something that I enjoyed and could live with and that is the key to all of this!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-13, 16:45

Plan: south beach
Stats: 123/123/123 Male 5
BF:
Progress:

Eating breakfast really helps avoid excessive hunger later in the day. If you don't like eggs don't eat them. You can have salad, peanut butter on celery, the south beach granola recipe or a ton of other options for breakfast. Try getting some low carb tortillas you can do a lot with them and some cream cheese and a little ham. Or nuke a couple turkey sausages.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 14:39

BF:

Yes, you answered my questions, thank you, Nancy.

And oh yes, I remember when doing SBD I did find some low carb tortillas for burritos. They were great! Can't remember the brand name now though, but I'm sure they would be easy to find again.

I wish this forum had a way to make a thumbs up sign for the great posts. Rock on,
MandalayVA !!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-13, 16:10
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Yes, you answered my questions, thank you, Nancy.

And oh yes, I remember when doing SBD I did find some low carb tortillas for burritos. They were great! Can't remember the brand name now though, but I'm sure they would be easy to find again.

I wish this forum had a way to make a thumbs up sign for the great posts. Rock on,
MandalayVA !!

Hmmm, did Nancy answer you? or was it me?
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-13, 03:48

BF:

Oh Judy, I'm so sorry I got confused and meant to put your name down!! My apologies.

:::BLUSHING WITH EMBARRASSMENT:::
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-13, 09:07
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Oh Judy, I'm so sorry I got confused and meant to put your name down!! My apologies.

:::BLUSHING WITH EMBARRASSMENT:::

No problem! Apology accepted.
I only wish you to succeed.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 16:29

Plan: Old diet divas plan
Stats: 272/226/180 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Eating "more" could mean a few different things... like eating less but more often throughout the day. It really depends on your strategy. Your goal is to keep yourself metabolizing foods consistently... I have lost large amounts of weight with and without exercise. When I mixed exercise into the mix I strategically eat more of my carb allotment within the hour before I exercise and then a protein element within 20 minutes after exercise.

Then it comes to consuming "more" and more often to produce lean muscle to help burn more fat.

Other periods in my life I would lose weight without exercise I would balance my carb/protein balance thought out the day differently. What you want to do is eat more foods that curve hunger and that do not stumble the metabolism.

I average about 2-5lbs per week of weight-loss. I'm on my own personal challenge to lose 40lbs in 10 weeks and I am including exercise to see if that average weekly weight-loss will change.

I say be careful not to eat too much... read some of the books and hit up a low carb nutritionist to put together a diet for you.

Eat predictably and consistently with something that is easy to repeat. We are all creatures of habit. And if you are able to... work on trying to train your brain to eat for utility and find pleasures in other areas of life. Then you are on track to long term success. I've done the "roller coaster" and I am finally on track to end that ride.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-14, 19:15

Plan: SBD
Stats: 365/295/195 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress:

Anytime I've been told to eat more, it was more in reference to spreading meals out rather than eating it all at one sitting. Like instead of 3 meals a day, do 6, but it's the same calories, just portioned in a way that you don't get super hungry and start downing all the food you can.

Also by eating more often throughout your regular daily routines, you give your body burns off the calories better by you being active as opposed to you eating a large meal then going to sleep right afterwards.