Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-13-06, 11:52

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%
Default What could you have bought?

I've been trying to give up for 2 years, longest I've lasted is 9 weeks. Tried patches, inhalators, chewing gum, liquorice root, and had hypnosis 3 times.

I'm gonna try Zyban next (I think you guys call it Wellbutin?), but I have to wait till I can come off some other stuff first and I've just been told I have to wait till spring at least

Things keep breaking round here - both cars, the washing machine, dishwasher ...

Anyway, in the past year, with the money spent on ciggies, I could have bought 15 tumble dryers, or 6 dishwashers, or 185 paperback books.

God that really makes it sound like a lot of money.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-15-06, 14:31

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I imagine the whole family could have had a fairly nice vacation with the money that I chose to spend on cigarettes in the year before I quit (not to mention the 25 years I smoked prior to that). Something that I'm doing is putting the money that I would have spent on cigarettes into a separate bank account and in a year or two, the family is taking a nice vacation with the money I've saved.

Quote:
I'm gonna try Zyban next (I think you guys call it Wellbutin?), but I have to wait till I can come off some other stuff first and I've just been told I have to wait till spring at least

****Warning...Personal opinion ahead!******

Waiting until spring to quit becuase you can't take Zyban right now isn't a very good reason to keep smoking. To tell you the truth, you probably don't need it anyway. If you need some motivation and/or assistance to think about quitting sooner, then perhaps this website may help: www.whyquit.com

When you choose to quit is completely up to you, but just think...the sooner you quit, the more money you'll have in your pocket to fix all those things that keep breaking.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 15:32

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
****Warning...Personal opinion ahead!******

Waiting until spring to quit becuase you can't take Zyban right now isn't a very good reason to keep smoking. To tell you the truth, you probably don't need it anyway. If you need some motivation and/or assistance to think about quitting sooner, then perhaps this website may help: www.whyquit.com

When you choose to quit is completely up to you, but just think...the sooner you quit, the more money you'll have in your pocket to fix all those things that keep breaking.

I do understand where you're coming from, but I've made 6 or 7 attempts to kick it in the last two years. I tend to cry most of the first fortnight or so, if I get that far. I know I'm not normal, but there you go.

I read late last year that nicotine enhances noradrenalin in your brain, and it's possible that some smokers are actually self-medicating for depression. Zyban was originally designed to be an anti-depressant, and works on noradrenalin (the popular drugs like prozac work on serentonin), so I though it was something that was deffo worth trying.

However, I have been thinking to try quitting again anyway, spring is a long time to wait, and I'd have to wait longer as it'll take a few months to wean myself off paroxeteine, which is the drug i have to come off before I can try it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-16-06, 17:57

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

alisbabe, I understand where you're coming from as well. I made so many attempts to quit I lost count but in the end, it's the quit that sticks that matters most, right?
I remember reading somewhere that the average number of attempts at quitting before success is in the area of 6 or 7 times, so you're really about average in that respect. Me, I must be a slow learner or exceptionally stubborn.
The link that I gave you before also has a support forum for quitters. The hitch is that you can't post until you are nicotine free for 72 hours. You can read all you want in the mean time, though, and there is plenty of material there to read. I still go back every so often and read posts there.

You can do this. Each quit is different so you may find that it's not so bad this time around. It only takes 72 hours to get the nicotine out of your system and after that, it's all downhill. By the end of 2 weeks, your brain should be functioning like that of a non-smoker.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-06, 16:52

Plan: low fat, low calorie
Stats: 283/283/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 0%

I just wanted to put in my two cents about the subject of Zyban, I figured out how it works. I took The Wellbutrin for about a month, man, when they say dont stop smoking when you start the drug, I thought that was wonderful! Well about a week into it I noticed the cigarettes started tasting really bad. At the time my hubby was taking it too. He had the same effect...so I guess if you continue to take it , the cigarettes taste so bad you automatically cut down and quit. We opted to quit the Zyban. ha ha...now have been nicotine free since October 15 2005. Just decided I wanted to quit, week by week kept tapering down. the day I got by without a cigarette with my morning coffee, I knew I had it made...Good luck to you \

QUOTE=alisbabe]I've been trying to give up for 2 years, longest I've lasted is 9 weeks. Tried patches, inhalators, chewing gum, liquorice root, and had hypnosis 3 times.

Things keep breaking round here - both cars, the washing machine, dishwasher ...

Anyway, in the past year, with the money spent on ciggies, I could have bought 15 tumble dryers, or 6 dishwashers, or 185 paperback books.

God that really makes it sound like a lot of money.[/QUOTE]