Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 06:45

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Long time Maintainer trying low carb for first time!

Hi everyone, I've been maintaining a larger weight loss for years now doing mostly plain old calorie tracking (which I'm soooo bored with lol). I always have some seasonal weight creep in the winter but by this time of the year it's usually almost gone and I'm ready for summer. Unfortunately that's not the case this spring and I've got 7ish pounds that I've been wrestling with for a couple months now and I'm ready to try something new, to see if I can get it taken care of!

I gravitate towards a higher carb way of eating-a mostly whole foods, plant focused style that hits around 200 carbs a day with the majority coming from whole grains, beans, fruit and then some starchy veggies. Wondering if the majority of those extra pounds/stomach bloat is just from the carbs/water retention. I'm also now in my 40s and suspect I may be easing into pre-menopause, so that may be a factor as well.

Anyways, in all my years of successfully losing/maintaining weight I've never really paid attention to my carb intake or have tried to reduce them. So, I'm feeling very overwhelmed and have no idea what I'm doing lol. Starting out I'm thinking maybe try to reduce my carbs to around 100g a day? I've also been reading a bit about the South Beach diet, which seems to line up with how I eat, so I need to look into that some more.

Wow, sorry this is so long! Just wanted to say hi and that I'm excited to dive into this whole thing and see where it takes me
-Dawn

Last edited by DaisyDawn : Tue, Apr-16-19 at 07:01.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 07:50

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Dawn,

I already ran into your post on DD, but now that I see this, you could look at his website both for the "Moderate Carb Plan"and recipes and information on Vegetarian Low Carb (search box works well there)also recipes can be filtered by vegetarian.

There is a Vegetarian forum under the Health section here: https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=109

All the best,
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 07:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Welcome Dawn,

I already ran into your post on DD, but now that I see this, you could look at his website both for the "Moderate Carb Plan"and recipes and information on Vegetarian Low Carb (search box works well there)also recipes can be filtered by vegetarian.

There is a Vegetarian forum under the Health section here: https://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=109

All the best,

Thank you! At this point I do think I'm leaning more towards a moderate carb plan, since I still want to keep some grains/beans/higher carb fruit in my diet. But, I'm realizing that I just can't eat them all at one meal LOL.

I'm not a vegetarian, since I still eat fish several times a week as well as chicken/beef 1-2 times a week, but I definitely gravitate towards a more plant based diet. I am going to work on incorporating some pork back into my diet though (maybe once a week starting out), and I'm also going to start using eggs more

I'm heading to the library this morning and going to check out a couple of the SB books, I'll also grab any other low carb plan books they have-lots of reading ahead of me!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 11:55

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hello DaisyDawn! I'm moderate carb too, similar diet to yours, I think it sounds pretty healthy :-)
No/very low processed food is number one. this cuts out 90% fast carbs and loads of rubbish ' not really food'
I eat mostly plants, some pulses and fruit, but not vegetarian. Have you tried intermitant fasting?-this was massive game changer for me. I stopped breakfast-cut down and pushed back eating to a later cup of creamy coffee to only a black coffee over the course of a few weeks. Now I'm never hungry before lunchtime and often not till late afternoon. Some weeks I only have 10meals, it's simpler and helps with weight a lot.
I tend to think pork is one of the unhealthier meats, no scientific evidence behind this, just seein how they're raised puts me off. I'll gladly enjoy eating outdoor foraging pork! Lamb and beef is all outdoor reared on grass here so I beleive it's healthy. I would be just tweaking your diet rather than chnging it. Sorry this is long now too, all the best x
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 12:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieScot
Hello DaisyDawn! I'm moderate carb too, similar diet to yours, I think it sounds pretty healthy :-)
No/very low processed food is number one. this cuts out 90% fast carbs and loads of rubbish ' not really food'
I eat mostly plants, some pulses and fruit, but not vegetarian. Have you tried intermitant fasting?-this was massive game changer for me. I stopped breakfast-cut down and pushed back eating to a later cup of creamy coffee to only a black coffee over the course of a few weeks. Now I'm never hungry before lunchtime and often not till late afternoon. Some weeks I only have 10meals, it's simpler and helps with weight a lot.
I tend to think pork is one of the unhealthier meats, no scientific evidence behind this, just seein how they're raised puts me off. I'll gladly enjoy eating outdoor foraging pork! Lamb and beef is all outdoor reared on grass here so I beleive it's healthy. I would be just tweaking your diet rather than chnging it. Sorry this is long now too, all the best x

Thanks for the reply! I actually lost the bulk of my weight with IF protocols, back during my active weight loss phase, (mostly JUDDD/5:2IF), but at this point in the journey I'm a bit burned out from it and have left it for now, though I do tend to naturally follow a meal timing pattern similar to 16:8IF
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 13:03

16:8 IF is a good solution. As for South Beach, check out his newer Gluten Free version. After Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis, I think eliminating grains has other health benefits. Paleo/Primal would be a good choice as well.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 18:32

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Quote:
16:8 IF is a good solution. As for South Beach, check out his newer Gluten Free version. After Wheat Belly by Dr. William Davis, I think eliminating grains has other health benefits. Paleo/Primal would be a good choice as well.

I started out with no specific meal plan/woe in mind. After looking at what I was eating combined with wanting to eat gluten free, Primal fits perfectly for me. I don't count carbs or calories and eat what I feel like the majority of the time. (I actually counted carbs for a couple of days out of curiosity and I sit between 60g and 80g on average)

Your carb count per day can really only get so high if you are eating an all natural whole food diet. My carb count would probably be higher if I ate more fruit - I usually only consume a glass of orange juice and the occasional banana or some strawberries.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-19, 01:29

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Yes, I think gluten and veg oil free has really helped my health and loss.
I’m pleased you’re into IF. (I used to be resistant to the idea and now look back at all my years of big, lchf, completely unnecessary breakfasts while asking why I wasn’t losing weight!) what is JUDDD?-sorry for my ignorance.
When you say burnt out from your weight loss I feel sorry for you! I have more energy now than when I was big. Makes me wonder if there’s something else going on for you. Maybe lower carb will help you. I’d recommend cutting gluten and the oils for a month and see how you feel.
Weight training is meant to be the other important tool, both for weight loss, and for health, reg of hormones, maintaining bone density, etc. Is that something you’ve tried or would consider?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-19, 04:04

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieScot
Yes, I think gluten and veg oil free has really helped my health and loss.
I’m pleased you’re into IF. (I used to be resistant to the idea and now look back at all my years of big, lchf, completely unnecessary breakfasts while asking why I wasn’t losing weight!) what is JUDDD?-sorry for my ignorance.
When you say burnt out from your weight loss I feel sorry for you! I have more energy now than when I was big. Makes me wonder if there’s something else going on for you. Maybe lower carb will help you. I’d recommend cutting gluten and the oils for a month and see how you feel.
Weight training is meant to be the other important tool, both for weight loss, and for health, reg of hormones, maintaining bone density, etc. Is that something you’ve tried or would consider?

JUDDD is ADF (alternate day IF)-where you alternate very low calorie days (under 500), with maintenance calorie days.

I'm just a bit burned out from IF at this point-I did it for over 5 years. I've been at this whole thing for around 7 years now-6 of those in maintenance. I'm very happy with where I'm at, but it's a bit overwhelming to think that I still have 40+ years of maintenance/being mindful of my food choices ahead of me
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-19, 05:23

I agree you should drop the IF for now and focus on changing to a lower carb diet and adding more healthy fats. Later when you are Fat-Adapted, you might consider trying it again. Dr Fung insists that you "Feast" when you are not fasting, or you are just doing standard low calorie restriction, that lowers your BMR.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-19, 06:35

BF:

Quote:
I agree you should drop the IF for now and focus on changing to a lower carb diet and adding more healthy fats. Later when you are Fat-Adapted, you might consider trying it again. Dr Fung insists that you "Feast" when you are not fasting, or you are just doing standard low calorie restriction, that lowers your BMR.

I've never intentionally tried to be low fat but looking through what I have in the house right now I realize that I've definitely jumped on the low fat wagon, ugh! I hate wasting food so I'll use up what I have on hand, but then I'll be replacing things with the full fat options!