Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 06:19
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 242/178.5/145 Female 162cm
BF:
Progress: 65%
Default Do I need to move on from induction?

Hi, looking for opinions.
During my lurking today I've read that Atkins isn't induction, and that you need to move on and add carbs back. Lots of lurking, not sure where I came across this.

I'm not measuring or counting carbs as such, but am eating only protein, fats, little bit of cheese and veggies. About three cups of non-starchy veg a day.

I'm not weighing myself but know my size is going in the right direction.
(Stopped weighing as numbers on the scale didn't seem to move at the same pace as I was shrinking)

So if it's working, do I need to change it?
Maybe I just read wrong?

Thanks all......
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 06:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 347/320/220 Male 6 foot 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 21%

Have you read any of the books? The way that Atkins is setup is after your induction, you add in little bits of other food options at a time during the OWL phases until you reach pre-maintenance and maintenance. These OWL rungs teach you which foods you can eat and which may give you trouble in terms of your diet/goals. I know your plan does not list Atkins but just low carb so if you are doing your own thing, then it is entriely up to you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 11:02

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

My personal opinion is that you are at a good weight to start working on adding foods back in. This is where having a specific plan comes in very handy so that you know how to navigate this phase. It will give you a little structure and help you determine what foods can and can not become part of your lifetime woe. If you add in one new food and just a few carbs more at a time the weight loss should continue steadily.

The closer you get to goal the slower your loss will be, so if you wait until you are very close to goal to begin this process it will be harder for you to determine if a food is causing you problems.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 11:22

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

What they said!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 15:37
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks guys.

I did read Atkins when I started, and believe my plan is pretty much Atkins.
(I know how you all love it when people say that , so that's why I have general low carb in my details.)

You're right, it probably is time I reread and thought about adding some things in.

I'm a bit scared to do so though - scared I'll stop losing, scared of the sugar monster cravings. Still have a long way to go yet, and I'm not the quickest loser.....
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 16:54

Plan: 4
Stats: 65/60/12 Male 45
BF:
Progress:

thanks posts
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 17:20

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:

Im pretty lax with my approach to atkins, too. For the first few months, though, i was religiously following it, and im very glad i did that because its a base of information and experience that i now can rely on. I eat basically what you do, plus a few things i added cus i want them, but thats because i follow atkins 72, which does add carbs gradually but not in a system of rungs. Its up to you, once you learn/figure out how you're gonna start expanding out into carb-land, but definitely read an atkins book. Youll feel more confident knowing exactly how to do what youre doing. Personally, me, i stopped adding when i got to the point that i knew how much of every possible thing i would WANT to eat i could handle, and now, there just isnt any more variety i want.

OWL is more fun than it sounds. I know it might seem nervewracking to move out of the induction comfort zone, and might sound like a pain in the behind, but it is something to be enjoyed. And it makes your whole lowcarb comfort zone bigger. Room to stretch out your legs. And fork.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 20:24

BF:

About you being scared....I will add that this is my third time to goal. The first two times I got to goal I only ever added in the first several rungs of food (extra veggies and dairy, berries, nuts and seeds) because honestly I did not think I'd ever be able to eat more than about 30-40 carbs or that I would be able to tolerate higher carb items like beans or apples or whatever. This time I was <determined> that if I really wanted this to be for <life> I had to give any thing I liked a good go instead of just assuming that I couldn't have it.

I have done that and it has not been easy, but it has been worth it and I have found that I can tolerate many more carbs than I suspected and even am able to eat things like a few tortilla chips, a little rice, most fruits, etc. with no ill effects (symptoms or weight gain). It's been amazingly freeing to me and now I know what I can and can't eat and how many carbs, etc. FOR LIFE.

I will say that when I tried adding cherries cravings set in and honestly it took other peeps on here to point out to me that the cherries could be the cause of my cravings and wanting to eat anything I could get my hands on! I never would have thought cherries would do it. Now I know. I can eat most other fruits (still have not tried grapes or bananas yet because I don't really love them).

So yes, it is scary to leave the comfort of induction and the lower carb foods, but it is also very rewarding.

One more thing...instead of adding in one new food/5 carbs each week, do it over two weeks....very slowly so you are sure that something isn't causing problems - or that it seems like it is, but it really isn't. I actually lost better as I started up the ladder (all three times I did it)! It's very personal and you'll have to find what works for you, but the only way to do that is to try it.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 20:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
Room to stretch out your legs. And fork.

Great quote!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 23:05

Plan: Suzanne Somers; LC
Stats: 182.5/158/105 Female 5'
BF:Melting!
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by freckles
I will say that when I tried adding cherries cravings set in and honestly it took other peeps on here to point out to me that the cherries could be the cause of my cravings and wanting to eat anything I could get my hands on! I never would have thought cherries would do it. Now I know. I can eat most other fruits (still have not tried grapes or bananas yet because I don't really love them).

Freckles, your posts are so informative. Do you mind if I ask why cherries in particular might cause a problem? I am asking because I recently got some and have been having them in the morning following my plans rules - and today my insulin is spiked - hot flashing all over the place. I am usually not hungry and don't flash anymore since I've been LC-ing. I am wondering if maybe its the cherries.
Kat
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-12-12, 23:41
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Trag and Freckles for the reassurance - it's much appreciated.
Freckles I do enjoy reading your posts!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-12, 04:10

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Just want to suggest in the event that you are a diabetic and use a blood glucose meter that you can use your meter to determine what foods most affect you rather than wait until you see how they affect your weight.

This might be one of the only actual advantages to being a diabetic in fact.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-13-12, 12:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviesprite
Freckles, your posts are so informative. Do you mind if I ask why cherries in particular might cause a problem? I am asking because I recently got some and have been having them in the morning following my plans rules - and today my insulin is spiked - hot flashing all over the place. I am usually not hungry and don't flash anymore since I've been LC-ing. I am wondering if maybe its the cherries.
Kat

Thank you. I don't know. I suspect its because they are so sweet and full of natural sugars. However, I know someone here that has never mentioned a problem with cherries, but does have problems eating strawberries, which are much less carby. Other people can't eat dark chocolate or nuts or any number of foods without them causing cravings and/or symptoms and/or weight gain. It's just a very individual thing. Have you changed anything else about your woe besides adding in the cherries? Or could it be hormones or some other cause?

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Caz*

Thanks Trag and Freckles for the reassurance - it's much appreciated.
Freckles I do enjoy reading your posts!

Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg
Just want to suggest in the event that you are a diabetic and use a blood glucose meter that you can use your meter to determine what foods most affect you rather than wait until you see how they affect your weight.

This might be one of the only actual advantages to being a diabetic in fact.

Actually, this is a great idea and I think anyone can use one for the same purpose? I bought an inexpensive one at Walmart to use for this purpose, but never ended up taking the time to do it.