Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-17, 08:36

Plan: Lchf
Stats: 211/211/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress:
Default Snack Ideas?

Hello, I'm relatively new to low carb. I gained a lot of weight in pregnancy and have struggled to find a new balance after this massive change, but I've finally figured out a way of eating that I believe I can maintain (moderate low carb) and am carving out time to exercise despite the hectic grind of work and motherhood.

The time of day that is my biggest challenge is after work / before dinner. I'm starving and need a plan to curb this. This is the best time for me to exercise as well. I need a snack that I can eat on the bus ride home that will fuel my workout. I can't eat dairy, my other snacks during the day are veggies and hummus or pepperettes. I need suggestions!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-17, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, IF, VLCHFLC
Stats: 375/270/225 Male 6ft 0in
BF:Nope I'm Straight
Progress: 70%

One thing for me and a lot of my friends is that the need to snack goes away. Nuts. Macadamia especially work well.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-17, 11:09

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 209/201/190 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress:

First off, you made a great decision going with the low carb. I started six months ago and it has been the easiest, most effective way I have lost weight and become healthier.

As far as snacks that have helped me, I definitely agree with Tim on the macadamia nuts (although they can be very expensive). I also will always keep a few hard boiled eggs on hand or beef jerky. These help with the energy. Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-17, 16:35
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 182/176/176 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizorra
Hello, I'm relatively new to low carb. I gained a lot of weight in pregnancy and have struggled to find a new balance after this massive change, but I've finally figured out a way of eating that I believe I can maintain (moderate low carb) and am carving out time to exercise despite the hectic grind of work and motherhood.

The time of day that is my biggest challenge is after work / before dinner. I'm starving and need a plan to curb this. This is the best time for me to exercise as well. I need a snack that I can eat on the bus ride home that will fuel my workout. I can't eat dairy, my other snacks during the day are veggies and hummus or pepperettes. I need suggestions!!!!

Here are a few more you could have:

- dark chocolate
- avocado
- nuts
- latte (coconut milk?)
- eggs
- sardines
- olives
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 17:35

BF:
Progress:

Omg olives. Thank you for the suggestion! The salty goodness also kills any potential craving for chips haha! I also brought some sardines to keep at work. I havent eaten those since pregnancy. So good...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 13:13

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Salty goodness? Try pork rinds. I find I can't actually eat too many of these at a sitting, and they sure do meet that "mouth need." I also drop them in hot broth as "noodles." And crushed for "breading" in meatloaf. And lots of other uses.

Sardines on the bus! That'll make you popular!

Best wishes.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 14:16

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots

That would be an incentive to eat them on the bus

Nuts have been mentioned- also look at seeds like pumpkin seeds. They have lots of nutrients a new mother needs like magnesium and iron.
Also, roasted edamame is really good.

For a different veg and dip, try grape tomatoes or mini sweet peppers with wholly guacamole 100 calories guacamole packs. They are so convenient.

Hard boiled eggs or make "quiche cups"- just bake eggs, meat or veg of choice, salt and pepper in muffin tin for grab and go

low sugar jerky or pepperoni (I love epic bars and VT farms)

Deli meat like turkey wrapped around pickle spears

Celery with pb or almond butter (just wrap in foil)

At whole foods, there is a brand called kite hill which makes unsweetened yogurt from almond milk. I love it!

Macaroons

Congrats on the baby and starting a healthier diet!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 15:25

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

Pepperoni chips ( 20 pepperoni on a paper towel. Nuke 1 minutes, enjoy with some cream cheese),
half an avocado with one TBS Marie's ranch dressing (less than 1 carb).
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 08:44

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots

LOL...Sardines are in the office. not bold enough to bring those on the bus!