Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-19, 12:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Love Ottawa!!! Lots of fond memories.

Fruits-- think of fruits as condiments rather than a "dish". Small fruits like strawberries, blue berries, blackberries and raspberries are easier to control, for me, if frozen and I take just a couple to have with a meal. Otherwise other fruits are less sweet but still have that fruit aroma and mouth feel: dragon fruit and guava. Guava is very seedy with a mild lemony -piney sent. Small fruits so easy to keep in fridge and portion them out.

I love apples and while I can give them up for a while, I really do enjoy apples. Finding small apples is tough as the push if for BIG apples. Some varieties hold well after cutting, maybe Cortlands, allowing for a half apple for a couple days. ( Otherwise I toss to the dog or chickens.)

The initial phase is get the sugar cravings under control. Hence no fruits. Dried fruits are a real danger.

Again I had to change from thinking of fruit as a meal to moving it to dessert or condiment role. Like the Europeans.

( Have the trees started blooming? The tulips?? Probably still too early.)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-19, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: Keto
Stats: 293.6/261.6/180 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 28%

I can control my fruit cravings, chocolate however....
I told my wife and son to hide everything chocolatey, and hide it well. I think I would eat deep fried racoon's arse on a stick as long as it's covered in chocolate LOL
No tulips in Ottawa right now. We had 4 inches of snow, some freezing rain and 23F (-5C) yesterday. I had enough of this winter.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-19, 12:48

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Yes, winter is over here--- the tulps are 3-5 inches of green spears here.

Chocolate-- try 100% cacao chocolate. The baking type. Zero sugar. It is very bitter, and that controls consumption yet allows a tastey treat. ( CHocolate is medicine in my house. )
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-19, 13:37

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Ron
Grav, you've mentioned the insulin levels? Is that something that did not show in your regular blood work? What does the insulin level tell you?

Insulin is a hormone that - among other things - not only discourages the mobilisation of existing fat stores as an energy source, but also encourages the accumulation of additional body fat. If your insulin levels are elevated, you're going to struggle to lose weight. What drives high insulin? High blood sugar. What drives high blood sugar? Primarily, eating carbs. Which is basically what eating low carb is all about.

It's interesting that measuring insulin is not actually something that's included in standard blood work, at least not where I'm from (New Zealand). I've asked my own doctor to measure my insulin and his response was basically words to the effect of "that's not something that we do." So to this day I've never actually had my insulin measured, but that doesn't mean I still don't want it to happen someday in the future.

You might find Toronto-based Dr Jason Fung's book The Obesity Code a useful read. In it, he explains that he can make anyone fat by simply prescribing insulin, and then goes into the mechanics of it all, but in a pretty easy-to-read, matter-of-fact way.

Quote:
BTW Grav, dude, I just saw your photos! Man, you look fantastic, 50 kg, congratulations! I hope I can get there at some point. Amazing!

Thanks mate. I'd been overweight my whole life until it all fell off with low carb, so it's been quite the journey of personal discovery these last couple of years, getting used to how normal-sized people live.

Stick around this forum and you'll get all the support you need, as I have.
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-19, 08:46

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Quote:
I can control my fruit cravings, chocolate however....
I told my wife and son to hide everything chocolatey, and hide it well. I think I would eat deep fried racoon's arse on a stick as long as it's covered in chocolate LOL
No tulips in Ottawa right now. We had 4 inches of snow, some freezing rain and 23F (-5C) yesterday. I had enough of this winter.

BC’er here ... welcome to the forum. Over time I have completely lost my taste for sweetness, so now I fulfill my love of chocolate with 100% cocoa in my coffee with heavy cream and other savoury uses, like mole sauces and spice mixes that include cocoa that I sprinkle on ribs etc. But my daily afternoon mocha .... to live for!
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 09:03
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you everyone for your support. I'm still going strong, the weight is not moving much, but my GERD is almost gone. Funny, it took me just two weeks and I am almost completely off of my pills.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-19, 10:03

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I’ve gone Full Metal Low Carb and enjoy Baker’s chocolate. Two blocks = 1 carb.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-19, 06:57
Registered Member

BF:

I've tried 100% cocoa chocolate and... I thought I was going to die LOL
Maybe it's me, but it felt like that teaspoon of cinnamon challenge
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-19, 07:42

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I'm no chocoholic, but for a while, this recipe for a treat was helpful.

Chocolate Bark (or Bites) "Recipe" (this is a do-it-to-taste idea)

Coconut oil
Baker's cocoa powder
small amount of artificial sweetener

Melt the oil, mix in chocolate to taste: try equal parts in TBS to start. Add some sweetener.

Pour this on a non-stick surface, put it in the freezer for a while, and break it into pieces as bark after it hardens. I prefer spooning measured portions into a VERY COLD metal muffin tin--about 1 1/2 TBS each. Stick this in the freezer until hard. Pop them out and store in the fridge. These melt at room temperature, so they are not your portable pocket snack!

This is also cheap compared to commercial very dark chocolate bars.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-19, 08:59
Registered Member

BF:

Sounds good, thank you. I will try that once I'm comfortable tempting myself with some sweets LOL Right now my cravings are not too bad, to be honest.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-19, 09:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Thank you everyone for your support. I'm still going strong, the weight is not moving much, but my GERD is almost gone. Funny, it took me just two weeks and I am almost completely off of my pills.

This might sound crazy at this point in your 18 days Low carb, but as Thud mentioned in your menu thread, eating within a compressed window, like 8 hours, or time restricted eating, can actually help with hunger over time. You get more in tune with real hunger vs. cravings for something chocolate. https://www.dietdoctor.com/intermittent-fasting When you are fully fat-adapted, your body easily switches from eating the food you gave it for dinner to eating your stored body fat.