Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-20, 14:25

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default Ketone Ignorance

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/br...-olympic-games/

The article, as a whole, implies that ketones are a form of athletic doping. No mention at all of the ketones being natural and made by healthy human bodies. The cyclists are taking an external source of ketones instead of having their bodies make it naturally.

Quote:
British cyclists were given ketones and warned they might trigger doping violations

Quote:
Ketones, a synthetic form of the energy source produced during fasting, are not banned under anti-doping rules but have caused ethical concerns, given their supposed performance-enhancing effects, and health concerns, given the potential side effects.

There is nothing synthetic about ketones. Anyone eating a true low-carb diet will be using ketones for energy. Their performance-enhancing effects is the only potential side effect I'm aware of.

Quote:
The Mail on Sunday reports that 40 percent of the athletes involved in the trial reported side effects, including vomiting and stomach problems, with 28 of them withdrawing as a result.
That's a problem with taking the ketones externally. They are not a natural part of the human diet.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-20, 15:00

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Dr Bikman studies insulin in the marathon runners.... the super runners: 24 hrs or 100milers. They are not running on glucose.......

Cant imagine there is a test to diffetentiate between body formed ketones and consummed. If all are allowed to do it, does that make it fair?? My limited understanding of performance enhancing is its harmfulness to the body or covers such a drug.
Does mct oil fit this..... ?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-12-20, 15:14

Plan: <20g when motivated
Stats: 229/219/145 Female 175 cm
BF:40%/40.6%/less
Progress: 12%

I feel like the journalist is spinning this as testing a quasi-illegal substance. And yet, they clear themselves at the end by stating " WADA had ‘no reason to consider such substances as banned under the 2011 List of Prohibited Substances and Methods’.""

So ketones aren't banned. Is this a bunch of made-up hype over some athletes getting paid some extra money to test a sports drink?

Athletes are asked to participate in biomedical research studies all the time. Nothing new there and it's not a secret. I sometimes request high performance athletes as a "super-fit control group" in certain physiological studies.

But yeah, there's going to be a whole bunch of idiots who think that ketones are a banned substance now.

What is the moral difference between consuming a sugar sports drink and a ketone sports drink? (I just don't like the over-sensational spin on this one.)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-20, 05:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

It's more than likely internally produced ketones have none of the drawbacks of the added ones.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-20, 08:49
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I keep my blood ketone levels between 1.0-3.0mmol/L. I do this for pain control and mental clarity. It's called Therapeutic Keto. I use external products to keep my levels this high as my nutritional health would suffer if I ate 90% fat.

It takes time to find the exogenous ketone product for the individual body. Some I tried made me quite sick. The one I'm presently using is C8 powdered MCT oil and my body accommodates it well. I have to assume that these athletes were administered a product somebody wanted to sell the UK.

If hormones and fuel the body naturally produces were made illegal, just think about it. Higher testosterone levels give some athletes more power and stamina. As you said, the body produces ketones naturally. It's our survival mechanism. They can never make ketones illegal. Even if they ban exogenous ketone products, the athletes can still produce get high levels of ketones by diet.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-20, 09:37

Plan: <20g when motivated
Stats: 229/219/145 Female 175 cm
BF:40%/40.6%/less
Progress: 12%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It's more than likely internally produced ketones have none of the drawbacks of the added ones.

I absolutely agree, especially since internally produced ketones come along with a profoundly changed physiological environment. I'm wondering if artificially adding them to food wouldn't do something more akin to diabetic acidosis, but I know nothing about stomach/gut absorption, or the characteristics of harmful diabetic ketosis. But the fact that some of the athletes are vomiting is a big red flag.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-20, 09:39
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Hello! I've been using exogenous ketones for at least a year and I'm fine. I don't have diabetic ketoacidosis. May I suggest a bit of research?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-20, 20:23

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have faith that I'm producing them now and then and that my brain and other organs benefit from the sugar break.