Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 15:33

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I'm 66" tall with an hourglass figure, so a 33" waist puts me in the obese BMI category and over 180 lbs. When my weight is in the ideal-normal range, my waist is 27-29". So I don't think this simple formula is useful for hourglass or pear-shaped people.

You're missing the point -

>>>People concerned about heart disease and diabetes should simply take their height and waist measurements to figure out their risk, say British researchers.

So, you are at low risk.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 18:29

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

My point is that if I believed I was safe because my waist was 33" (half my height), I'd be obese and not safe (my BP, cholesterol, asthma and mobility were all bad when my waist was 33"). So the formula can give hourglasses and pears a false sense of good health. It probably works well for apple-shaped people.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, May-16-12, 19:00

This is for risk of heart disease and diabetes though.

>>>this ratio was a better predictor of high blood pressure, diabetes and cardiovascular events like heart attacks and strokes than body mass index.

If people want to take that to mean that's all they need to know, well, what can you do?
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 04:14

Plan: No factory-processed food
Stats: 230/147/147 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
My point is that if I believed I was safe because my waist was 33" (half my height), I'd be obese and not safe (my BP, cholesterol, asthma and mobility were all bad when my waist was 33"). So the formula can give hourglasses and pears a false sense of good health. It probably works well for apple-shaped people.

It's banana-shaped people that need to worry.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 07:41
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

Well this is all good news for me, being conference pear shaped. I'm 5'9 and at 220lbs my waist was 30 inches. Even at just under 400lbs my waist is 48inches, so I should get down to a healthy waist measurement way before I hit a healthy BMI. If I remember rightly, just in the healthy BMI range at 160, my waist was around 23 inches (my widest point around hips and bottom was 40 inches- yes scarily large backside).

Lee
  #21   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 08:14

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 184.0/141.5/152.0 Female 66.25 inches
BF:35%/???/???
Progress: 133%

Well dang i don't have to worry about losing anymore. i'm 66" and have a 31 inch waist. LOL so waht if I'm jiggly in the butt and thigh. Is that what the report is saying?

Can't say that I agree. I am a pear. I wear med tops and large bottoms in most cloths. I am not at a healthy weight. I am fit, I do lots of cardio but my weight isn't healthy. I am guessing i'm at 167. Haven't got on a scale lately but I would think that is about right.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 10:08
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xturkeyldy
Well dang i don't have to worry about losing anymore. i'm 66" and have a 31 inch waist. LOL so waht if I'm jiggly in the butt and thigh. Is that what the report is saying?

Can't say that I agree. I am a pear. I wear med tops and large bottoms in most cloths. I am not at a healthy weight. I am fit, I do lots of cardio but my weight isn't healthy. I am guessing i'm at 167. Haven't got on a scale lately but I would think that is about right.

I'm curious. What is the major factor in you deciding you're unhealthy? You've said you're fit. Is it that you're 2 points over a 'healthy' BMI (which is of questionnable validity) or the fact that you don't feel you look like you want to? If its the latter, what do you think you should look like and what do you base it on?

Hope you don't mind me asking.

Lee
  #23   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 10:54

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinge

#24   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 12:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinge

I am potato-shaped. Should I worry?
  #25   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 13:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Or star-fruit shaped people?
  #26   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 13:51

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 184.0/141.5/152.0 Female 66.25 inches
BF:35%/???/???
Progress: 133%

Lee based on the fact that my thighs measure 25 inches and my hips almost 42. That is large. I am healthy. I want to appear as healthy as I am. I want the inside to show on the outside. I do heave issues with my left foot also. I am hoping that lightening the load on the foot will ease the discomfort. Orthotics have helped but I think I can't help but think a lighter load would help more
  #27   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 14:47
NEVER GIVING UP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xturkeyldy
Lee based on the fact that my thighs measure 25 inches and my hips almost 42. That is large. I am healthy. I want to appear as healthy as I am. I want the inside to show on the outside. I do heave issues with my left foot also. I am hoping that lightening the load on the foot will ease the discomfort. Orthotics have helped but I think I can't help but think a lighter load would help more

Thanks for responding, I'm always curious how people choose their goal weights.

Lee
  #28   ^
Old Fri, May-18-12, 09:17

Plan: No factory-processed food
Stats: 230/147/147 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonwtwindo
I am potato-shaped. Should I worry?

Just don't stand too close to the fire.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, May-20-12, 12:03

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:

male, 69 tall, 34 waist (just under half), 31.5 inside leg
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Apr-12-16, 05:37

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Waistline may predict heart disease better than weight

Waistline may predict heart disease better than weight

Quote:
SATURDAY, April 2, 2016 -- When it comes to heart health, new research adds to the argument that a pear-shaped body, which is heavy in the hips, may be better than an apple-shaped body, which carries more weight around the belly.

A study of diabetes patients found that increasing waist size appears to be a stronger predictor of serious heart disease than body weight or body mass index (BMI, the weight-to-height ratio). "We have known that abdominal obesity is more linked to coronary atherosclerosis [plaque buildup in the arteries] than other forms of obesity," said Dr. Brent Muhlestein, a study author and co-director of research at the Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute in Salt Lake City. "We found that left ventricle heart function got worse with progressive waist circumference. The relation between left ventricle function and waist circumference remained highly significant, even after adjusting for body weight," Muhlestein said. The left ventricle is the heart's primary pumping chamber, and abnormal ventricular function is a common cause of heart disease, including congestive heart failure, the study authors noted. Muhlestein added that reducing your waist size may reduce your risks.

For this investigation, scientists measured waist circumference, total body weight and BMI in 200 men and women with type 1 or type 2 diabetes. Diabetes can raise heart risks, but patients did not start the study with any symptoms of heart disease. The researchers evaluated the heart function of study participants by using echocardiography -- a type of ultrasound. They noted that left ventricular function got progressively worse as waist sizes got bigger, with heart decline eventually leveling off at 45 inches of waistline. The study authors noted that the link between waist circumference and reduced heart function was independent of total body weight and BMI.

Dr. Sarah Samaan, a cardiologist and physician partner at the Heart Hospital at Baylor in Plano, Texas, said these results support previous research indicating that fat in the abdominal area is much more risky than fat elsewhere in the body. "Abdominal fat produces a wide range of inflammatory substances, and is more highly correlated with heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes than other types of fat," said Samaan, who was not involved with the study. "We know that heavier people are more likely to have stiffer hearts, which in turn can predispose to heart failure. This study shows us that fat in the abdominal area is especially harmful to heart function."

When compared to men, women in the study in general had better heart function at each increasing level of abdominal obesity. "In general, abdominal obesity had a greater adverse effect on men than women," Muhlestein said. He said women are advised to maintain a waist size of about 34 inches or less, while men should try to keep their waist circumference at 40 inches or less. Previous research from the same team of scientists at Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute and Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore showed that the greater your BMI, the greater your risk of heart disease.

Exercise and diet remain the mainstays of treatment for all obese persons, including those with an apple shape, said Muhlestein. "This study emphasizes, however, that those of us who have an apple shape should perhaps be even more motivated to reduce all of our cardiovascular risk factors, including our waist circumference," he said. Samaan added that aerobic exercise is the best type of exercise to burn belly fat. "While crunches may strengthen the abs, they won't necessarily burn abdominal fat," she said. "Also, smokers tend to hold more belly fat, even if their total body weight is normal, so quitting smoking may help."

The report was to be presented Saturday at the annual meeting of the American College of Cardiology, in Chicago. Until published in a peer-reviewed medical journal, data and conclusions presented at meetings are usually considered preliminary.