Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-29-20, 02:16

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Over 100 doctors call for tax on junk food to handle obesity epidemic

Over 100 doctors call for tax on junk food to handle obesity epidemic

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/27/100-...demic-12765023/

Quote:
They have put forward a number of proposals to overhaul the UK’s ‘unfair, unhealthy and unsustainable’ food system when the pandemic passes. This includes a tax on foods that are high in salt and fat, a tax on food derived from animal agriculture, subsidies for plant-based diets and a return of public sector catering to stop processed meat being served in schools and hospitals.
Quote:
The changes proposed are in-line with the recently published report by the EU’s European Commission A Farm to Fork Strategy, which calls for ‘a move to more plant-based diets… to reduce the risk of life-threatening diseases and the environmental impact of the food system’.
Quote:
According to a 2019 study published in British medical journal the Lancet, adopting a more plant-based diet could prevent approximately 11 million deaths each year.

Three in four of the world’s new emerging diseases are caused by animals, with coronavirus leading to calls for more people to go vegan to avoid a future pandemic.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-29-20, 21:10

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Predictable with more to come. Those supporting taxes as a way to force healthy behavior must make sure taxes are actually levied on unhealthy food. Never pass up a tragedy in the form of an epidemic to accuse and vilify certain foods as unhealthy especially when they don't fit with your agenda. Forget about corroborating scientific evidence, there's no time for that when everyone already knows animal foods are unhealthy.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 05:23
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Never pass up a tragedy in the form of an epidemic to accuse and vilify certain foods as unhealthy especially when they don't fit with your agenda.

Indeed. This group (Plant-based health professionals UK Ltd) is headed by Dr. Shireen Kassam, well-known vegan activist. They're using health-promotion during this pandemic to veil the *real* agenda, which is animal rights.

No doubt, they're feeling pressured to make a move in light of the traction being gained by Dr Aseem Malhotra's low-carb message .
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 08:08

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Resist food taxes.

Instead they should be adding a charge for obese people when they need health care.

In the US, obese people should pay higher health insurance costs.

I know that seems unfair, but if obesity costs the health system more then the obese should pay more. It's like a heavy truck paying more road taxes.

Bob
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 10:31

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Newsflash... it is NOT just meat-packing plant workers who are getting infected in droves. Farm workers picking vegetable crops also appear to be at high risk.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 16:59

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
In the US, obese people should pay higher health insurance costs.

I know that seems unfair, but if obesity costs the health system more then the obese should pay more. It's like a heavy truck paying more road taxes.

Bob
I’m not too happy with this idea either. I’m still obese, have been for years. I rarely ever go to the doctors. I barely make my Medicare deductible amount each year. When I was still working I had two work partners - both guys on the skinny side. They were both on multiple prescription meds (both on stations, high blood pressure meds, and several others to boot) and both saw doctors probably a dozen times a year or more, vs. my one or two.

Both my sisters are thin and they each see doctors 4-6 times more often than I do. My thinnest sister, with a borderline underweight BMI, sees doctors about 1-2 times a month on average, constantly going for checkups for this or that.

If you’re going to tax people then apply a tax to people who overuse the system, not just based on some arbitrary physical condition.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-30-20, 18:30

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

There is a lot of merit to that too Debbie.

I was obese for decades, and wouldn't have liked a tax for that either, but obesity does indeed lead to some otherwise preventable diseases. Both my parents died from obesity related diseases and a lot of Medicare money went for that.

Then there are people who truly are obese through no fault of their own.

And what about anorexic and bulimic folks. They can tax the health care system as well.

Or smokers, excessive alcohol drinkers, motorcycle riders, mountain climbers, skiers, sky divers, skateboarders, and people who engage in other dangerous things.

It's really a tough call, and there probably is no right, just and/or fair answer.

Best advice: Don't get sick

Bob