Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-10, 11:47
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Peggy's Low Carb Bread

Here's this morning's experiment. Man, I'm impressed with this one, folks. Out with the Foccaccia-like Flaxbread (my previous fav) and in with this one, is all I can say. And only 2.9 net carbs per slice!

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...low-carb-bread/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-24-10, 12:59
Patience Personified

Here's the full recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

1½ c. flax meal
½ c. oats, ground to a flour in blender or processor
½ tsp. salt
1T + 1 tsp. baking powder
7 eggs
1 c. shredded parmesan cheese
1/3 c. water
2 T. olive oil

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350º. Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl. Add eggs, water and oil. Stir until well blended. Line 13×15 sheet pan with parchment. You only need to oil/grease the edges of the pan. With a rubber spatula, spoon batter onto parchment, spreading from the center out to the edges, as evenly as possible. I sprinkle caraway seed over half the bread so I can have both types of bread: plain and rye. Bake for around 15-20 minutes (every oven is different), until center is dry and springs back when touched. Try to avoid over browning edges. Cool and cut into 12 equal slices. I store mine in a gallon plastic bag in the fridge until ready to use. Can be toasted or rewarmed in the oven. I froze some and when thawed a couple weeks later, the bread was not soggy, nor was it sticky on the surface and it tasted just as it did the day it was baked! Remember to never freeze bread longer than a month however, ANY bread.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 slices, each containing:

180.5 calories
13.3 g fat
6.82 g carbs
4.23 g fiber
2.59 g NET CARBS
10 g protein
353 mg sodium
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-08-10, 10:48
Patience Personified

Today I reworked this recipe and baked it once again this morning, as I was out of bread! I think the changes are definitely for the better! Hubby liked it, too, hot out of the oven with just butter on it! I'm really liking what oat fiber does for all my baked goods! Really enjoying experimenting with this product. And it dropped the net carb count quite a bit when I redid the nutritional numbers! Here's the "new and improved" version and new pics: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2010/0...low-carb-bread/

INGREDIENTS:

1½ c. golden flax meal (or mixture golden and dark)
1/3 c. oat fiber (I order from Honeyvillegrains.com)
1 c. unflavored, unsweetened protein (mine=1 NC per 1/3 c.)
½ tsp. salt
1T + 1 tsp. baking powder
7 eggs
1 c. shredded Mozzarella, Jack or Parmesan Cheese
1/3 c. water
3 T. olive oil

DIRECTIONS:

Preheat oven to 350º. Mix all dry ingredients in large bowl. Add eggs, water and oil. Stir until well blended. Line 13×15 sheet pan with parchment. You only need to oil/grease the edges of the pan. With a rubber spatula, spoon batter onto parchment, spreading from the center out to the edges, as evenly as possible. I sometimes sprinkle caraway seed over half the bread so I can have both types of bread: plain and rye. Bake for around 18 minutes (every oven is different), until center is dry and springs back when touched. Avoid over browning. Cool and cut into 12 equal slices. May be carefully sliced laterally to get to thin slices out of one slice!

I store this bread in a gallon plastic bag in the fridge until ready to use. It keeps about 2-3 weeks actually as I’ve never had a piece mold before it was used up. Can be toasted or rewarmed in the oven. This recipe rises enough that you can actually slice it laterally and get a sandwich (2 slices) out of each 1/12th slice of this bread! That really helps on the daily food limits! It freezes well but remember to never freeze bread longer than a month, ANY bread, low carb or otherwise.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 slices, each containing:

264 calories (not low-cal, but very low carb!)
20.15 g fat
11.4 g carbs
9.97 g fiber
1.43 g NET CARBS
16.8 g protein
307 mg sodium
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-18-11, 08:28
Patience Personified

Default Quick Bread

I made this recently and really liked it. Picture is here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2011/04/29/quick-bread/

I wanted a BLT for lunch today and didn’t have the right kind of bread made up. So I took this English muffin recipe on Linda’s site: http://genaw.com/lowcarb/lc_english_muffin.html and modified it a bit. The result was a pretty good quick sandwich bread with good flavor and texture. I baked it in a 6″ quiche dish, as I don’t own a small enough square pan. I’ve been meaning to get one and this recipe may just drive me to go on and do that. But round worked OK for my BLT. This is not acceptable until the grains rung of OWL. I now keep a batch of Jennifer Eloff’s Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix made up in my pantry.

INGREDIENTS:

1 egg, beaten
1 T. olive oil
3 T. water
1/3 c. CarbQuick bake mix
2 T. Jennifer Eloff’s Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix: http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/2...y-splendid.html
2 T. golden flax meal
¼ tsp. Splenda, granular (or equivalent)
3/4 tsp. baking powder

DIRECTIONS: Beat the egg in the dish you will bake this in. I used a 6″ ceramic quiche pan. Add the water and olive oil and stir again. Next add all dry ingredients and stir vigorously until smooth throughout. Microwave on HI for about 90 seconds or until center is dry and done. Remove and cool slightly. Note, it won’t be browned at all.

Carefully tip/lift out of dish using a knife tip or spatula. Toast either under a broiler (on both sides), or if it will fit, in your regular toaster. Butter and jam it up as is for a biscuit like flavor. Slice laterally after toasting for sandwiches. Slice before toasting if enjoying as morning toast. For scone applications with added fruit bits, cut into wedges and toast without slicing laterally.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 2 servings, each contains:

192 calories
18 g fat
13.2 g carbs, 9.95 g fiber, 3.25 g NET CARBS
10.9 g protein
411 mg sodium
13% RDA Vitamin B12, 15% calcium, 13% copper, 18% iron, 18% phosphorous and 16% riboflavin
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-11, 12:48
Patience Personified

Default Foccacia Sheet Bread

I can't take full credit on this one. I used Sherrielee's Artisan Flatbread on Linda's recipe site, added Jennifer Eloff's gluten-free mix and injected CarbQuick to get this final version. Really came out good!

My injection is CarbQuick bake mix for the almond flour in the original. This bread has a very nice texture and is delicious right out of the oven with just butter!! I’ve also toasted it and cut it into breadsticks to serve with soup or salad. Most often I just use it for sandwich bread, cutting the pan into 12 regular size slices. If I’m using primarily this way, I usually omit the Italian herbs and garlic powder. Or just sprinkle those on top of the batter on one end of the pan. You can brush the finished top with olive oil if desired, but I usually do not do this. This recipe is not suitable until the grains rung of OWL.

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup Jennifer Eloff’s Gluten-Free Bake Mix: http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/2...y-splendid.html
½ c. CarbQuick bake mix
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
¼ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 tsp. Italian seasoning (mixture of oregano, basil, rosemary)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Soften cream cheese in a medium bowl and beat in the eggs. Add Parmesan and jack cheese and stir well. Now add in all dry ingredients and stir until well blended. Dip batter onto cut-to-fit parchment lined sheet pan and using a rubber spatula, spread to the edges carefully, trying to avoid holes or any thin spots. Fairly uniform thickness is desired. Pop into 350º oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cut into 12 equal slices.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 slices, each contains:

185 calories
16 g fat
6.26 g carbs, 3.66 g fiber, 3.1 NET CARBS
10.31 g. protein
201 mg sodium
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-07-11, 13:41

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 218.5/203.8/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 21%

One Word! Yummmmmieeee!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-12, 20:40
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/169/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttoni
I can't take full credit on this one. I used Sherrielee's Artisan Flatbread on Linda's recipe site, added Jennifer Eloff's gluten-free mix and injected CarbQuick to get this final version. Really came out good!

My injection is CarbQuick bake mix for the almond flour in the original. This bread has a very nice texture and is delicious right out of the oven with just butter!! I’ve also toasted it and cut it into breadsticks to serve with soup or salad. Most often I just use it for sandwich bread, cutting the pan into 12 regular size slices. If I’m using primarily this way, I usually omit the Italian herbs and garlic powder. Or just sprinkle those on top of the batter on one end of the pan. You can brush the finished top with olive oil if desired, but I usually do not do this. This recipe is not suitable until the grains rung of OWL.

INGREDIENTS:

4 eggs, beaten
1 cup Jennifer Eloff’s Gluten-Free Bake Mix: http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/2...y-splendid.html
½ c. CarbQuick bake mix
2 T. grated Parmesan cheese
¼ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 c. Monterey Jack cheese, grated
1 tsp. Italian seasoning (mixture of oregano, basil, rosemary)

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Soften cream cheese in a medium bowl and beat in the eggs. Add Parmesan and jack cheese and stir well. Now add in all dry ingredients and stir until well blended. Dip batter onto cut-to-fit parchment lined sheet pan and using a rubber spatula, spread to the edges carefully, trying to avoid holes or any thin spots. Fairly uniform thickness is desired. Pop into 350º oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and cut into 12 equal slices.

185 calories
16 g fat
6.26 g carbs, 3.66 g fiber, 3.1 NET CARBS
10.31 g. protein
201 mg sodium

That looks good, I just may try it.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-12, 07:32
Patience Personified

I promise, this one IS good. I make it often.

Just tried it a new way yesterday but want to test this newer version out one more time before sharing. But if the next version I make cooks up OK, I'm definitely liking the more neutral taste for sandwiches. I'll post that recipe later this week if I'm pleased with the result.

Last edited by Buttoni : Wed, Jan-18-12 at 19:14.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-12, 13:00
Patience Personified

Default New and Improved Sliced Bread recipe

This version of my Focaccia Sheet bread is now my best white bread version to date. I basically omitted the Jack and parmesan cheese and the seasonings for a plain white bread:

http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2012/0...s-sliced-bread/

I decided to make my Focaccia Sheet Bread recipe without cheese this week to see how that would bake up. Well, I’m totally astounded at how good this came out. This was so good it just pushed all other of my bread recipes to the “back burner”. Only difference between this and commercial sliced white bread is it isn’t quite as white and it has, of course, a full soft crust atop each slice. Not a bad thing in my book. Warm and buttered, it reminds me of a British crumpet, just no yeast taste (that may be my next experiment). I have to admit, both flavor and texture were outstanding! An added bonus, this bread is somewhat elastic, in that it DID NOT break apart in my hands even with a piping hot hamburger patty between two very thin pieces that were sliced laterally out of one whole slice.

Due to it’s fairly cheese-less flavor, I also see potential for this basic batter in dessert/sweet applications. Due to the Carbquick, this bread would not be suitable until the grains rung of the OWL phase of Atkins.

INGREDIENTS:

4 large eggs, beaten
1 c. Jennifer Eloff’s Gluten-Free Bake Mix: http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/2...y-splendid.html
½ c. Carbquick bake mix
½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. soften cream cheese in medium bowl and beat in the eggs. Add in all dry ingredients and stir until well blended. Line a 12 x 16½” or 11 x 16 baking pan with parchment or silicone/Silpat sheet. Dip batter onto pan in evenly spaced globs. Using fork or rubber spatula, evenly spread out the batter to the edges of the pan, trying to see that it is uniformly thick throughout, especially at the edges of the pan. Pop into preheated oven and bake for 25 minutes or until golden and done int he center. Remove and slightly cool. Cut into 12 “slices”.

144 calories
12.6 g fat
6.08 g carbs, 3.25 g fiber, 2.83 g NET CARBS
8.9 g protein
235 mg sodium
44.8 mg potassium
14% RDA Vitamin A, 12.3% B12, 10% phosphorous, 10% selenium

Last edited by Buttoni : Thu, Jan-19-12 at 13:07.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-12, 15:37
Patience Personified

Default Seeded Dinner Rolls

I've been making a great sheet bread this past week that has proven to be very veratile: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2012/0...s-sliced-bread/ It makes great Quick Danish with fruit and cream cheese slightly warmed up. I discovered yesterday it makes great seeded bread sticks. Today, I transformed this batter into these very tasty Seeded Dinner Rolls:

I simply baked topped with a delicious seed/spice mixture in a square muffin pan. The wells in my non-stick pan are 3/4″ deep. These light, fluffy rolls came out very flavorful. I topped mine with Victoria Gourmet’s 7-Seed Crust spice blend: http://www.vgourmet.com/7-Seed-Crus...SeasoningBlends plus a few sunflower seeds (just because I love them on bread/rolls/crackers) before baking. I don’t like to use paper liners with high-egg content breads as they just won’t get that tasty brown bottom crust when you do. Therefore I have to gently coax these out of the pan with the help of a knife tip after a bit of cooling, to prevent tearing up the bottoms. You could also just drop these by heaping spoonfuls (20 mounds) onto a non-stick baking sheet to achieve a biscuit appearance, as the inside texture is very similar to a biscuit. These are not suitable until the grains rung of OWL due to the flour products in the Carbquick. Even on the Victoria Gourmet website, I was unable to get nutritional info for the spice blend I used, so I calculated .1 gram of each the carbier spices/seeds listed in the ingredients on my bottle. You’re probably not even getting that much really, considering you divide that into 20 portions.

INGREDIENTS:

4 large eggs, beaten
1 c. Jennifer Eloff’s Splendid Gluten-Free Bake Mix: http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com/2...y-splendid.html
½ c. Carbquick bake mix
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
approximately 1 T. seed/spice mix of your choosing

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Oil the cups of a non-stick square or round muffin pan. Add in all dry ingredients and stir until well blended. Using a 2T. measuring cup, dip batter (rounded in the cup) into the muffin cups. Batter is real thick and you have to scoop the batter out with your finger. Soften cream cheese in medium bowl and beat the eggs in until fairly smooth. There should be enough batter for about 20 rolls and nutritional stats below are calculated on that number. I took a round butter knife and tried to spread batter evenly into the cups. Pop into 350º oven and bake about 20-22 minutes. Check at 20 since ovens vary. You don’t want to overly brown these or they will dry out. Remove and cool a bit before gently coaxing them out of the pan with the help of a knife. If the first one tears up a bit on the bottom, wait a little longer before removing the rest.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 20 rolls, each contains:

86.75 calories
7.59 g fat
3.68 g carbs, 1.96 g fiber, 1.72 g NET CARBS
5.37 g protein
141 mg sodium
27.7 mg potassium
under 10% RDA all other nutrients
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-12, 21:10
Patience Personified

Man, the seeded rolls are WONDERFUL leftover for mini-BLT's or with melted smoked Gouda cheese!! I just warmed int eh MW on LO for a minute or so.

These would make GREAT finger sandwiches for parties and large social gatherings. I'm even going to try this batter as Cheddar Bay Biscuits and Jalapeno Cheese Bread soon. A VERY good, fairly neutral batter that lends itself to lots of creative uses! I'm even making fruit danishes with it!

#12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-12, 02:01
Registered Member

Plan: stillman, atkins, healthy
Stats: 173/148/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 58%

ill have to try some of these! now im hungry!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Aug-29-12, 09:41
Patience Personified

J-Pow, I hope you noticed they have Carbquick in them, which isn't suitable until the final rung of the Atkins OWL ladder. There is real wheat product in it. You'll want to stick with my flax-bread recipes if you're still on Induction or early on in OWL.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-12, 00:08
Registered Member

Plan: The Vegetarian Low-Carb
Stats: 187/149/144 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default Thank you.

Buttoni, you are a savior. I know I don't want to live without a bread-like substitute, but these looks doable and delicious. I doubt they'll come out looking like yours, but I will try. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited by jsheridan : Fri, Nov-09-12 at 00:08. Reason: spelling error
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-09-12, 20:37
Patience Personified

It's doable, delicious and I think you'll like this one! Ironically, I'm eliminating wheat products now, so Carbquick is out. But I'm finding some new recipes that are serving me well. These two are serving me well these days:

White bread: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2012/0...al-white-bread/

"Rye" bread: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2012/0...ual-chia-bread/