Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 07:09

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default Latoya's Story: Living Past Fat Shaming

This article, written about a year ago, popped up on my feed from Yoni Freedhoff. As we all look towards our "new year's resolutions," I thought it was a good reminder that we are not statistics: we are human individuals. We're all on a journey together, but the destination? Well, apart from the final destination, it's all different.

Hope you enjoy this encouraging word, as I did. If you're easily offended by language and attitude, skip this.
Quote:
These days, when I wake up in the morning, I ask myself how can I flourish as the best human being I can be. I no longer want to ― or worry about ― fulfilling someone else’s fitness goals. I no longer want to be ― or worry about being ― the star of anyone’s “Woman Crush Wednesday.” I’m too busy trying to be the boogeyman to my own fears and, subsequently, the best version of myself. I want to look into the mirror and be proud of the incredible athlete and human being that I’ve grown into.
Rest of the article Latoya's Story
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 10:43

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Barbara - excellent, inspiring, and educational article by Latoya on her journey. We are all different in the way we conduct our lives, and the thing that is most evident when you experience the people around you is that we must focus on our own journeys, as we take so many different routes. My family and I have a movie (based on a true story) that resonates with this message: "Brittany Runs a Marathon." Being conscious of ourselves, considerate of others, and fighting our own fears to learn and improve is enough work in a lifetime. No need to take on any other "charity" cases.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 11:00

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Yesterday one of the self proclaimed members of the protect animals society decided that I was abusing my dog as we took our daily walk. He stopped his car and informed me that he had been watching me and it was clear that I was abusing the dog by dragging him down the sidewalk. I needed to know that my dog was my pet and deserved to be treated as such and if I didn't comply he would report me to the police. I suspect he saw me pull my dog away from a much larger dog that was coming towards us on the sidewalk. It had happened a few minutes before he confronted me. I told him the dog was fine and then just proceeded to walk on. He got back in his car and as he passed me he rolled the window down and shouted at me that I needed to remember what he said. Self proclaimed experts are everywhere. I try to remind myself that people who behave like this are very unhappy and angry people and instead of examining their own minds and behaviors they take out their misery on others. Much too much shaming, trolling and bullying going around. This is not the first time I have been dog shamed because someone has decided that my dog is not being treated appropriately. The last time a woman stopped her car to tell me that I didn't groom my dog enough and that he was matted and in pain. She could tell that from her car window as she drove past. Fat shaming is ubiquitous and an abomination. Dog shaming too. The "I know better than you" squad is everywhere. It's not easy to ignore when it is aimed at one's self.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 12:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Best to LaToya. I couldn't do what she is doing!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 15:00
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
mind your business ― keep your eyes off of my scale and your imagination off of my plate.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-28-19, 19:55

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Latoya is an absolute phenom. I can really relate to her story except for the anorexia part. At 180, still "obese", I am too skinny for me and too fat for everyone else. When I ran, my best times happened when I was about 230 pounds. My slowest, worst running at 180. There is so much disinformation and lack of understanding, it's shocking.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 04:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Yesterday one of the self proclaimed members of the protect animals society decided that I was abusing my dog as we took our daily walk. He stopped his car and informed me that he had been watching me and it was clear that I was abusing the dog by dragging him down the sidewalk. I needed to know that my dog was my pet and deserved to be treated as such and if I didn't comply he would report me to the police. I suspect he saw me pull my dog away from a much larger dog that was coming towards us on the sidewalk.

I swear they target "nice people" not actual abusers so take it as a compliment
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 12:45

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Hello again, my friends.

You know, as much as anyone, I get pleasure and encouragement from Before and After stories, especially those of people who have lost 100lbs or more, and find their health and happiness transformed for the good. Usually, they look dramatically svelte in those "after" photos.

Perhaps I could invite people here and at DietDoctor to share stories and photos of themselves NOT matching the typical "after"--like Latoya, simply arriving at their own best self.

We are persuaded--and frightened--by medical and commercial messages that describe how people should be at a certain "normal" size.

Excuse me?