Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-14, 17:55

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 172/164/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Carb Smart Ice Cream in Canada?

I wonder if anyone knows where to buy this in Ontario?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 06:42
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

In my area (Richmond Virginia), one grocery store chain carries Carb Smart yogurt but not Carb Smart ice cream. Another chain carries the ice cream but not the yogurt. The biggest chain store in the area (selection wise) carries neither. Of course, "Gluten Free" is everywhere and so is "Low Fat" and "Fat Free". Except in the area of "real food" it is slim picking for low carb items at a grocery store.

What we did was we bought an inexpensive ice cream maker (a 'freeze the bowl overnight' kind -- $60 or so on Amazon). There are plenty of LC ice cream recipes out there and we find the homemade stuff to be just as good or better than the Carb Smart store bought ice cream. I like to keep the sweet treats to a minimum, so we only make it about once a month. When I have it, I do enjoy it. But unlike the sugar loaded kind, I can stop at one serving for the day. For me, it does not fire off any carb cravings.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 07:23

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
In my area (Richmond Virginia), one grocery store chain carries Carb Smart yogurt but not Carb Smart ice cream.

I kept wondering if you were in Richmond!

Carb Smart = Breyer's = gross.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 08:12
Say NO to Diabetes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA
I kept wondering if you were in Richmond!

Well, technically - I live in Hanover County -- exactly half way between Ashland and Mechanicsville. But that detail would be meaningless to most everyone here (except you, perhaps). I am close enough to Richmond to claim it for reference purposes.

You'll find me sweating it out by the bucket load walking laps at the Chickahominy Middle School track most every evening. The dog days of summer are upon us now. It is either hot & humid or hotter and more humid. I do what I have to do to get some exercise in - so I think the occasional LC ice cream treat is well earned.

The last batch I made was fresh strawberry and it was really rich and really good. Definitely NOT low fat. IMO, Breyer's was better than nothing (at least, to my daughter who was craving anything chocolate). But it did not compare to homemade. We've bought Breyer's Carb Smart one time -- and it sat in the freezer for quite some time before it was all consumed.

Last edited by khrussva : Thu, Jun-26-14 at 09:11.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 08:58

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Try the So Delicious Coconut Milk Ice Cream if you need a quick ice cream treat and don't have time to make your own. I currently have the cookie dough in my freezer and have 1/4 cup servings when ever I get a craving... I haven't felt any effects of the Creepy Carbo cravings afterwards .
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 09:03

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Well, technically - I live in Hanover County -- exactly half way between Ashland and Mechanicsville. But that detail would be meaningless to most everyone here (except you, perhaps). I am close enough to Richmond to claim it for reference purposes.

Hanover County's considered part of the Metro Richmond Area so yeah, you can claim it. When we moved to Virginia we lived in Chesterfield County for eleven years, then moved to the Church Hill neighborhood in the city three years ago. We love it here. The summers are brutal though. I took my morning walk through the neighborhood and when I got home I was so sweaty from the exertion and humidity I looked like I just got out of a pool.

I've seen the little ice cream maker bowls in Williams-Sonoma and I'm tempted to get one. Maybe this weekend ...?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 10:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 390/231/200 Male 5'10''
BF:
Progress: 84%

I never liked Breyer's, but as low carb treats go carb smart is pretty good IMO. $4.99 at Kroger's. I like to put Da Vinci syrup on it.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 11:23
Say NO to Diabetes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matlock
I never liked Breyer's, but as low carb treats go carb smart is pretty good IMO. $4.99 at Kroger's. I like to put Da Vinci syrup on it.

I've seen several people mention Da Vinci syrup. I've never tried it. I just did a search and WOW - so many options. What flavors do you like best and where did you buy it? My whole family is doing LC now and some are itching for a lc sweet treat now and then.

You are making terrific progress Matlock! Those are killer stats for being at this a mere 9 months. I'm hoping I do as well in a year.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 11:41
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margay
I wonder if anyone knows where to buy this in Ontario?

hi Margay, welcome aboard

I've made your post into its own thread as the original discussion was over 10 yrs old. Alas, many of the products being discussed back then are no longer available in 2014.

(Also added "in Canada" to the title, just in case well-intentioned respondents might miss that this is in the Canada section, or that your query is "where to buy this in Ontario?" )

Doreen
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 12:35

Plan: Keto
Stats: 227.7/211.8/160 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandalayVA

Awe I like the Breyers Carb Smart. I melt my chocolate coconut oil mixture on it and it hardens like the old chocolate shell. Mind you it took me almost 4 months to eat a half gallon - and that was with my nieces and nephew "accidentally" digging into it.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-14, 13:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Carb Smart products aren't available in Canada, nor any other product with "carbs" or "low-carbs" in the name or description. Since late 2004, they're no longer permitted under Canadian food-labelling regulations ... Carbohydrate Claims on Foods Sold in Canada. Often - but not always - products labelled "no sugar added" will be low in carbs, but you'll have to read the nutrient panel AND the ingredients list to be sure.

As to Margay's original question, Breyers Canada makes only one "no sugar added" ice cream product (vanilla) .. http://www.breyers.ca/product/detai...r-added-vanilla. I've never tried it, and from reading the ingredients list .. I never will. "Milk ingredients" and "modified milk ingredients", plus a long list of processed gums, thickeners and bulking agents to make up for the missing fat. I'm imagining sweet-tasting frozen plastic . Also, it's still quite high in carbs. According to the nutrient panel, a 125ml serving (½ cup) has 14g total carbs, minus 2g sugar alcohols and 0g fiber = 12g net carbs. Hardly a low-carb bargain!

Chapman's, a Canadian company based in Ontario, makes a line of "no sugar added" ice creams and frozen treats ... http://www.chapmans.ca/Products/#NoSugarAdded. Although they also contain some gums and thickeners, the overall ingredients list is much shorter plus they actually contain real cream. Over all, they're lower in net carbs (and higher in fat) than the Breyers' product. The few I've tried taste very good. Keep in mind, they still have 6g or higher net carbs per 125ml (½ cup) serving. Definitely not for Induction.

Most larger grocery stores in Ontario carry Chapman's "no sugar added" ice cream products.

hth

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-14, 20:02

Plan: DANDR 2002
Stats: 432/180/200 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

every 2 weeks on our groceries run at Sams we would stockpile Davinci SF Vanilla and French Vanilla. We only use it for coffee but ohhhh it is pretty much in the same class as eggs for being a staple in our WOE lol.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-14, 01:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 390/231/200 Male 5'10''
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
I've seen several people mention Da Vinci syrup. I've never tried it. I just did a search and WOW - so many options. What flavors do you like best and where did you buy it?

The only place I can find it in my town is at Cash and Carry. They have a huge selection and it's cheap -- like $4 a bottle. I haven't tried that many flavors yet. I use more French vanilla than anything. I like Kahlua in my coffee, and cherry in jello.

Torani syrup is more available, at least where I live. It seems to be comparable to Da Vinci. However Torani puts, or put, glycerin in their products, so you might wanna check the label.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-14, 13:10

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
As to Margay's original question, Breyers Canada makes only one "no sugar added" ice cream product (vanilla) .. http://www.breyers.ca/product/detai...r-added-vanilla. I've never tried it, and from reading the ingredients list .. I never will. "Milk ingredients" and "modified milk ingredients", plus a long list of processed gums, thickeners and bulking agents to make up for the missing fat. I'm imagining sweet-tasting frozen plastic . Also, it's still quite high in carbs. According to the nutrient panel, a 125ml serving (½ cup) has 14g total carbs, minus 2g sugar alcohols and 0g fiber = 12g net carbs. Hardly a low-carb bargain!
I have not looked for LC-friendly ice cream in the store for a long time. All the no-sugar added ice creams I ever saw were FULL of all sorts of nasty frankenfood ice creams. And of course all the no-sugar-added ice creams I ever saw also proudly trumpeted that they were "fat free" as well! Fat-free ice "cream" is an oxymoron if I ever heard from. And of course making them fat-free seriously jacks up the carb count. If I wanted ice cream that badly I'd definitely have to make my own were I coulc make it with real cream. If anyone ever made a full-fat no-sugar added ice cream I *might* be tempted to give it a try, but can't envision such a product on the horizon.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-14, 03:54

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 172/164/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
hi Margay, welcome aboard

I've made your post into its own thread as the original discussion was over 10 yrs old. Alas, many of the products being discussed back then are no longer available in 2014.

(Also added "in Canada" to the title, just in case well-intentioned respondents might miss that this is in the Canada section, or that your query is "where to buy this in Ontario?" )

Doreen

Thanks! I never noticed the date on the other thread! lol