Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-13-20, 01:08

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Meat-eating boosts muscle health better than plant-based diet as we age

Meat-eating boosts muscle health better than plant-based diet as we age, new study suggests

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...y-suggests.html

Quote:
  • A meat-based diet is better for muscle health compared to plant-based proteins
  • The King's College London study also recommends eating both types of diet
  • Vegans in the UK are therefore more likely to feel effects of ageing bodies

Plant-based proteins will not boost muscle health as much as eating meat as we get older, a study suggests.

Researchers found that animal protein is more effective than plant protein in preventing muscles wasting away.

The UK has 600,000 vegans and many have joined the booming trend for health, animal welfare or environmental reasons.

But the study found that vegans would need to eat a lot more grains, pulses and beans if they want to get the same benefits that meat, dairy and eggs offer to ageing bodies.

The researchers from King's College London suggest people should eat a balance of both animal and plant proteins.

The report said: 'While we know plant-based diets are beneficial for the environment, we don't know how healthy these diets are for keeping muscles strong.

'Transitioning from an animal-based protein diet to a plant-based diet is likely to be detrimental to muscle health during ageing.'

Muscles are kept strong by amino acids, bolstered during exercise or from animal proteins and as the body ages, it needs extra help in preventing muscles from wasting.

Plant-based proteins can do the same but the quantity needs to be a lot higher to have that effect, said lead researcher Oliver Witard.

While vegans have ditched meat and dairy for a number of reasons - including health, animal welfare and to protect the environment - the study suggests they may be better off balancing their diet with both animal and plant proteins.

Witard and colleagues conducted tests on volunteers given either animal based proteins or soy and wheat based alternatives and studied isotopes, blood sampling and muscle biopsies to see how well the muscles were building up from amino acids.

The full findings are due to be presented at a virtual conference of The Physiological Society this week.

Witards report said: 'The number of vegans in the UK has quadrupled since 2006, meaning that there are around 600,000 vegans in Great Britain.

'A more balanced and less extreme approach to changing dietary behaviour, meaning eating both animal and plant-based proteins, is best.'

Further tests on alternative plant based proteins such as oat, quinoa and maize are to be carried out to see if they are more effective on a gram for gram basis.

Witard added: 'This research challenges the broad viewpoint that plant proteins don't help build muscles as much as animal protein by highlighting the potential of alternative plant-based protein sources to maintain the size and quality of ageing muscles.'

Quote:
Long-chain n -3 fatty acids as an essential link between musculoskeletal and cardio-metabolic health in older adults

Abstract
This narrative review aims to critically evaluate scientific evidence exploring the therapeutic role(s) of long-chain n-3 PUFA in the context of ageing, and specifically, sarcopenia. We highlight that beyond impairments in physical function and a lack of independence, the age-related decline in muscle mass has ramifications for cardio-metabolic health. Specifically, skeletal muscle is crucial in regulating blood glucose homeostasis (and by extension reducing type 2 diabetes mellitus risk) and providing gluconeogenic precursors that are critical for survival during muscle wasting conditions (i.e. AIDS). Recent interest in the potential anabolic action of n-3 PUFA is based on findings from experimental studies that measured acute changes in the stimulation of muscle protein synthesis (MPS) and/or chronic changes in muscle mass and strength in response to fish oil-derived n-3 PUFA supplementation. Key findings include a potentiated response of MPS to amino acid provision or resistance-based exercise with n-3 PUFA in healthy older adults that extrapolated to longer-term changes in muscle mass and strength. The key mechanism(s) underpinning this enhanced response of MPS remains to be fully elucidated, but is likely driven by the incorporation of exogenous n-3 PUFA into the muscle phospholipid membrane and subsequent up-regulation of cell signalling proteins known to control MPS. In conclusion, multiple lines of evidence suggest that dietary n-3 PUFA provide an essential link between musculoskeletal and cardio-metabolic health in older adults. Given that western diets are typically meagre in n-3 PUFA content, nutritional recommendations for maintaining muscle health with advancing age should place greater emphasis on dietary n-3 PUFA intake.

https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/en...77c957f56).html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-20, 06:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Bumping this because it contradicts that weird study elevating "plant protein" to help with glaucoma.

I think "plant protein" is practically an oxymoron. To support my contention, here's an article about The 17 Best Protein Sources for Vegans and Vegetarians.

Quote:
1. Seitan - made from gluten, the main protein in wheat - 25 grams of protein per 3.5 ounces (100 grams). This makes it the richest plant protein source on this list

2. Tofu, Tempeh and Edamame - soybeans - 10-19 grams of protein per 3.5 ounces (100 grams)

3. Lentils - a legume - At 18 grams of protein per cooked cup (240 ml) translated to 7.5 per 100 grams

4. Chickpeas and Most Varieties of Beans - legumes- 15 grams of protein per cooked cup (240 ml) which is 6.25 per 100 grams.

5. Nutritional Yeast - gluten free - 14 grams of protein (28 grams) which is 50 grams of protein per 100 grams, which is 1/2 cup.

6. Spelt and Teff - Spelt is a type of wheat and contains gluten, whereas teff originates from an annual grass, which means it's gluten-free. 10–11 grams of protein per cooked cup (240 ml), which is 4.6 grams of protein per 100 grams

7. Hempseed - 10 grams of complete, easily digestible protein per ounce (28 grams). 36 grams of protein per 100 grams.

8. Green Peas - legume - 9 grams of protein per cooked cup (240 ml), which is slightly more than a cup of milk, which makes them 4 grams of protein per 100 grams.

To put this in perspective, I put my serious autoimmune condition into remission, lost 40 pounds, and regained my health by avoiding all the bolded items above. This is a very good thing.

Gluten, soy, and lectins turn out to be substances my body has a markedly low tolerance for. Stomach blowtorch/incredible nausea/full body-POISONING are what happens when I ingest these substances. All very bad things.

So, according to Calculator.net's Protein Calculator, I should have:

Quote:
American Dietetic Association (ADA): at least 45 - 56 grams/day.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): 34 - 119 grams/day (10-35% of daily caloric intake).

World Health Organization safe lower limit: 46 grams/day.

Let's say 45. Now, when I eat that low, I don't feel well and have no energy. But for the purposes of this demonstration, how would I be able to go vegan and get my 45 grams of protein?

1/4 cup nutritional yeast = 25
1/2 cup of hemp seed = 18

for 43 grams of protein. For the Minimum every day. And I don't think this would be easily digestible, because this is high fiber, too. And I have a low tolerance for fiber.

This explains why I have a low tolerance for veganism
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-20, 08:55

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

They talk about "Protein" as if it were one thing. Protein is comprised of amino acids, and the balance of the essential amino acids and the other important amino acids vary greatly between plants and animals. In other words 1 gram of plant protein is very different from 1 gram of animal protein.

Comparing plant protein to animal protein is like comparing O'Douls beer to Guinness.

Both are available in 12 oz bottles, but one does not equal the other.

Bob
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-20, 18:38

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Bumping this because it contradicts that weird study elevating "plant protein" to help with glaucoma.

I think "plant protein" is practically an oxymoron. To support my contention, here's an article about The 17 Best Protein Sources for Vegans and Vegetarians.

~snip~

Quoting this, because of something I noticed in the plant proteins/glaucoma article, and it ties into where the protein comes from.

[Also, please don't take this the wrong way. It's not in any way meant to be racist, or some kind of ethnic profiling or religious discussion.]

According to the attribution at the bottom of the glaucoma article, the author is a Dr from India, and it says that he writes and edits medical articles regularly. In this process, he reviews and verifies all studies used in those articles. So whatever data he analyzed, what it said to him is that the ones who avoided glaucoma ate plant based protein, not animal based protein.

The reason I specify that his analysis of the data says plant based protein is best is kind of a long story. A few years ago, a friend who is from India was told she was borderline diabetic, and her Dr told her to cut down on carbs. So she asked me for help in figuring out what she could eat that would help her cut down on carbs, because pretty much everything she ate was on the minimize/do not eat list.

I mentioned one thing she could definitely eat that wasn't carby was meat - she said that she's a vegetarian, and doesn't eat meat. But as the discussion continued, she said she eats pork and poultry, but doesn't eat beef, because she's a vegetarian.

This was the first I'd ever heard of someone identifying as vegetarian singling out only beef as being meat. But as we talked, I realized this was definitely not some kind of mental disconnect. I got the clear impression that hogs and chickens are somehow... simply not meat in her culture and religion, so ok for them to eat. She's highly educated, so there's no question that she fully understands that hogs and chickens are part of the animal kingdom - it's a matter of not considering them to be meat, which is why I think it's some kind of cultural thing in India to not consider chicken and pork to be meat.

This very well may not be universal among people from India (for that matter, may only be her particular region of India), so it's entirely possible that the author of the glaucoma article was counting all animal products as meat. But the point is that there's a possibility thatjust like my friend, the author of that article may also not consider them to be meat either... which means there's a possibility that when reviewing the data from the food questionnaires, he put chicken and pork consumption in some other food category. I don't know what other category he could possibly put them in, because clearly they're not plants, but that doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't consider them to be non-meat, which could be reflected in his analysis of the data.

To us it looks like he's trying to push a vegan diet, but that's not necessarily the case, if he doesn't put poultry and pork in the meat category, because of a religious and cultural definition of meat.

Just something to think about.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-19-20, 19:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Great insight. That would affect the results.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-20, 03:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
To us it looks like he's trying to push a vegan diet, but that's not necessarily the case, if he doesn't put poultry and pork in the meat category, because of a religious and cultural definition of meat.

I understand that in Hinduism, cows are sacred and not to be eaten, so I can see how pork and chicken fall into a different mental category.

But for that matter, I find "vegetarians" aren't the same as when I tried it in the 1980's, where the rules were still only cheese and eggs being "allowable" animal products. Which is more sustainable in terms of nutrients, and still didn't work for me.

To quote a favorite:

Quote:
We Must Reclaim Human Health, Sustainability, Environmental Justice, And Morality From The Birdseed Brigade

Quote:
What do vegetarians in the United States eat?
Ella H Haddad and Jay S Tanzman.
Am J Clin Nutr 2003;78(suppl):626S–32S.

The data in this study was taken from the CSFII, a US government survey which measured dietary intake over two 24-hour periods.

I’ll save time and give you the punchline right away: Of self-defined vegetarians, nearly 2/3 (214/334, or 64%) ate a significant quantity of meat on at least one of the two days for which their dietary intake was surveyed!

As a side note, during the supply disruptions of the last few months, one thing I've never seen cleared out is the fake meat placed in the meat departments.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-20, 06:39

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I understand that in Hinduism, cows are sacred and not to be eaten, so I can see how pork and chicken fall into a different mental category.

But for that matter, I find "vegetarians" aren't the same as when I tried it in the 1980's, where the rules were still only cheese and eggs being "allowable" animal products. Which is more sustainable in terms of nutrients, and still didn't work for me.

To quote a favorite:

As a side note, during the supply disruptions of the last few months, one thing I've never seen cleared out is the fake meat placed in the meat departments.

I forgot to mention that while beef is not allowed in the Hindu religion, my friend said that along with the chicken and pork, she does eat dairy - milk and milk products (such as yogurt and paneer) are a primary source of protein in the Indian diet. She said she also eats eggs.

Talking about the number of cattle in India makes me think of how vegans keep pointing to cow farts as a primary source of pollution... Does that apply to the nearly 45 million head of cattle in India? (more than any other nation in the world - 5 million of them roaming freely throughout the country) Do they really think they're going to get India to get rid of all their cattle to eliminate cow farts?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-20, 08:08

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

i enjoy consumming meats and do not enjoy eating most of those high-protean vegetables. As a species we evloveled eating lots of meats and I see no reason to change from the evolutionary path.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-20, 14:28

BF:

As far as I'm concerned, the only vegetarians are vegans.

What plant does an egg? Chicken? Milk? Fish? Cheese? grow on.

I said this to my vegan friend, and got two big thumbs up.

She has been a vegan for decades, and things that people who eat eggs, cheese and others are just want to be called vegetarians without walking the walk.

But I know that language changes, and that's why vegans are the term for what used to be vegetarian.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-20, 15:46

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Those plant protein sources create a lot of human gas in my experience. Indoor air pollution. Yuck.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-20-20, 16:37

BF:
Red face

There are many areas of the world that depend on high protein crops because meat is far too expensive. Many cultures learned how to combine vegetable/grain sources to get the full array of amino acids in a meal. These people are vegetarians by neccesity. More indigenious people also know what insects to collect as that is also meat protein , from what I understand, and so ants and grubs are options. Im not ready for roasted grubs but ant chips are tasty!

Having the option to eat real beef, pork or chicken is an option I am grateful for.

My elderly mother of 86 yeara eats less overall food, of very good quality. She heard we need to eat less meat so has cut back. In reality she can afford to buy beef so cutting back means an unknown number of grams a day. Likely more than average AMERICAN.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Jul-20-20 at 16:44.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-20, 07:45

BF:

There are 12 nutrients you can't get from plants, no matter how much you combine. The first one is essential to health, if you are a vegan you MUST supplement, the others are extremely beneficial to your health and life span:
  1. Vitamin B12
  2. Creatine
  3. Carnosine
  4. Vitamin D3 (Cholecalciferol)
  5. Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA)
  6. Heme iron
  7. Taurine
I've read quite a few articles on extending healthy life spans in primates. Only a few things have worked well, extreme caloric restriction does and some say that keto mimics that, but as fare as I know it has not been proven yet.

The other verified one is Acetyl L-Carnitine taken with Alpha Lipoic Acid. These are both available from meat only and increased the life span of primates about 14%.

Those fed Acetyl L-Caritine and the plant semi-equivalent Alpha-Linolenic Acid did not live loger nor did they have the health boosting effects.

This was in a Scientific American Magazine article, and I let my subscription expire years ago, so new research may have added other methods of extending life.

Humans have been omnivores for as long as they have been human. Our ancestors like Homo Erectus and others were omnivores. So we have been omnivores longer than we have been human. I tend to respect that and hope the vegan lobby doesn't take my meat away.

Bob
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-20, 09:41

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Meat-eating boosts muscle health better than plant-based diet as we age, new study suggests

Bad news for cows surrounded by an aging population!
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-20, 12:06

BF:

Cattle production in US has decreased over the years ......
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-20, 13:17

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Cattle production in US has decreased over the years ......

I guess that’s even worse news for them then!