Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-14, 11:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Any low carbers out there doing hot yoga and hot pilates?

About 4 weeks ago, I started to feel depressed about my aging body.

Starting to feel creaky when I got out of bed first thing in the morning, and really noticing a decrease in my overall flexibility. I'm 48 by the way, and I exercise sporadically at best (walking and using the exercycle).

I decided to give yoga a try again. There's a hot yoga studio near my house which I had tried once two years ago, but was completely intimidated and went back only once or twice.

Well, I've been going there 2 or 3 times a week now for the past 3 weeks. I also discovered a hot pilates class and have been doing that class in between hot yoga.

I am shooting for hot yoga, Mon and Wed (and maybe Fri) and hot pilates on Tues and Thurs.

I am adjusting to the heat and cannot believe the amount of sweat coming out of me. All the sweat makes me feel so healthy, like I am really ridding myself of toxins. But boy does it make the classes super challenging. Sometimes I almost feel like I am suffocating on the hot yoga class due to the heat and my sweat.

My problems are: have put on 5 pounds since starting all this exercise, which is probably als due to the bad carb binge I had for the first week of the exercise which is not coming off all that quickly, I seem to be craving Gatorade during the hot yoga which has 34 carbs, my back started killing me this past weekend despite all the stretching, and I am not sure if this is a good workout regimen or if it's too much for me to handle.

I really thought with all this working out and low carbing, the weight would be flying off but I'm in week 2 of a really good Induction (except for some wine, peanuts, peanut butter and some Gatorade) and I am only down 2 pounds.

I'd like to add some consistent cardio to this but am running out of time during the day as the classes are either 90 minutes or 60 minutes and I need to be working as well as I work from home.

Anyway, thank you for any suggestions!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-14, 12:08

Plan: Atkins/Keto-Queen
Stats: 257/151.0/150 Female 5-8
BF:
Progress: 99%

I'm not that "savy" on the human body but....are you sore? If yes, I do know that when you start doing "any" exersize regularly your muscles stretch and tear and requires water to repair them. I guess the same would apply for how much water you are losing by all the sweating. Your body is hanging onto what it needs to replenish what it is losing and repair what needs fixing....As far as only losing 2 pounds....muscle weighs more than fat. There is a picture here somewhere of what a pound of fat and a pound of muscle looks like....I guess you can google it and find it fairly easy....its a real eye opener. After a month of your routine you will be able to "see" differences in your body, if not on the scale.

I have never done "hot" classes before or pilates for that matter....but I do, do (at minimum) yoga every day. Its very "begginer" no big fancy poses....and I am currently losing VERY slowly...AND my weight has been fluctuating 3-5 lbs every day for the past month as well. Is it a trade off? Exersize makes my body feel so wonderful and most importantly my mind.....again is it a trade off?

One more thing to mention, and maybe someone will explain it better than I is along with eating clean you need to be sure you are having enough salt with your meals, like water, its very important. Hopefully someone will explain it here more clearly, but I never skimp on the salt.

I hope I helped you a little bit....just typing my response to you helped me....215 on the scale today....I was 210 on Saturday....and I eat clean so ya its a bit frustrating but I can't NOT exersize its too important for me.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-14, 13:35

Stats: 170/168/140 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Thank you Sunny, I am very sore and was wondering if the weight was from the working out and sweating.

But the carb binge pushed it up there to begin with so I'm not really sure what it truly is.

I do use the salt shaker pretty much with every meal. I'm a salt addict. Which I also thinks contributes to keeping on water weight? I just was reading about cancer prevention and thinking about switching to Sea Salt and taking iodine supplements.

Appreciate your response!! Keep up the exercise, I agree with you that it is so important. I need to keep it up myself!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 13:05
Registered Member

Stats: 000/114/108 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi there!
I just wanted to add a thought. Your muscles are sore which probably means there is some inflammation happening in your body which causes you to retain a little water until you heal. That will make you gain a pound or two in spite of the sweating.

I agree that you need salt. It should especially be sea salt because of all of the trace minerals. Table salt is bleached white and is like white bread--it has no value.

I take iodine (50 mg/day) and if you want to ever talk about that, I'd be happy to tell you about my experience with it (all good).
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 13:07
Registered Member

Stats: 000/114/108 Female 5 ft. 3 in.
BF:
Progress: 106%

Forgot to add that I practice yoga as well. Not hot yoga, but power yoga and it works up a sweat and the room isn't even heated! I can't imagine what it would feel like in a hot room!