Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 12:21

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskaloon
According to Wikipedia's entry on CLA, eggs have a high content of CLA which is unaffected by high cooking temperatures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conjugated_linoleic_acid

CLA, also found in meats, is suspected of redistributing fatty acids in the heart and other body organs.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/research/pu...Q_NO_115=179685

Of course, then again, I am not a mouse, bird, or research scientist.

Besides, I'm sure someone will eventually post more recent studies which show benefits that outweigh/disprove the older findings.

Either way, I'll keep eating my eggs and not take any manufactured CLA supplements.

.\\ark

Check out Barry Groves' website "Second Opinions" for info on CLA. It's mighty good stuff - they gave it to seniors in a study I happened to read (don't ask me where) who were doing workouts, and the CLA supplement (plus something else that is found in dairy/meat) helped them gain more muscle than the control group who didn't take it. Low protein = no muscle gain. High protein = food to build new muscle.

HOpe this puts your mind at rest.

amanda
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-08, 14:56
AntiSAD

Plan: finding my happy place
Stats: 245/231.4/200 Female 67 inches.
BF:
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicknLady
My girls are deeply offended by this slanderous article! They take their egg-laying very seriously.

Tell your girls I appreciate them very, very much and just to spite that stupid article and affecting the stock market...I'm goin' to eat 5 eggs/day instead of 2!!

Take that!
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 00:12

Plan: 6WC
Stats: 330/308/220 Male 77"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Amanda: Thanks for the response. I did as you suggested and checked-out Groves' Second Opinions site and found a few of his articles on CLA.

I feel it is promising that there are anti-cancer properties to this substance. It's even more interesting that CLA is naturally in meat, eggs, and used to be found in full fat milk/dairy. (Non-fat milk doesn't have it!)

Anyway, I'm still not going to fill-up on "too much of a good thing"; but, daily, I will now enjoy these foods even more.

Have a good weekend!

.\\ark
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 02:29

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saskaloon
Amanda: Thanks for the response. I did as you suggested and checked-out Groves' Second Opinions site and found a few of his articles on CLA.

I feel it is promising that there are anti-cancer properties to this substance. It's even more interesting that CLA is naturally in meat, eggs, and used to be found in full fat milk/dairy. (Non-fat milk doesn't have it!)

Anyway, I'm still not going to fill-up on "too much of a good thing"; but, daily, I will now enjoy these foods even more.

Have a good weekend!

.\\ark

Thank you! You too! On the subject of eggs, though, I'm half regretting having read "The Protein Power Lifeplan" by the good Drs. Eades - there I learnt that my favourite way of eating eggs (as an omelette or scrambled in butter or bacon fat) produces stuff called "lipid peroxides" which are apparently very dangerous... According to them, you should only eat them poached or boiled so that you don't break the yokes. Pity I can't stand poached eggs and boiled eggs I only eat as egg mayo (with mayo made from sunflower oil, which is another no-no in their book).

Sometimes my thirst for knowledge about these dietary issues gives me a bit more information than I really needed...

But I'm not giving up my scrambled eggs or my omelettes - they're the only thing that really keep me going in the morning!!!

Oh, and by the way, another good site to cruise around is the one put out by the Weston A. Price Foundation. If you google the name, you're bound to find it. The other superfood they recommend is liver - must try it out!

amanda
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 09:13

Plan: .............
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00000
BF:
Progress: 29%

righhhhhhhhhhht...tell that to my 89 year old granny whose sharper than a tack, resiliant, still has black hair (with streaks of grey, she does not use hair dye ever) shes been eating 2-3 eggs a day since she could walk and talk that was back in the 20's people! of course they didnt factor in all the other possible junk SAD people eat, smoking,drinking etc after all it had to be the eggs....damn those eggs!
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Apr-18-08, 12:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

I believe fried eggs with relatively intact yolks are OK, too. Whipping up the yolk when scrambling exposes the cholesterol in the yolk to oxygen, when combined with heat causes oxidation of the cholestrol. Just like rancid fish oil, it uses up your antioxidant capacity to repair it. Maybe if you scrambled your eggs in a nitrogen environment, on an electric stove...
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-08, 01:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LC FP
I believe fried eggs with relatively intact yolks are OK, too. Whipping up the yolk when scrambling exposes the cholesterol in the yolk to oxygen, when combined with heat causes oxidation of the cholestrol. Just like rancid fish oil, it uses up your antioxidant capacity to repair it. Maybe if you scrambled your eggs in a nitrogen environment, on an electric stove...

And what about ensuring that you have adequate intake of anti-oxidants to counteract the effect???

I don't have any nitrogen in the house right now...

amanda
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 17:36

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%
Default 7 or more eggs lethal?

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Middle-aged men who ate seven or more eggs a week had a higher risk of earlier death, U.S. researchers reported on Wednesday.

Men with diabetes who ate any eggs at all raised their risk of death during a 20-year period studied, according to the study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

The study adds to an ever-growing body of evidence, much of it contradictory, about how safe eggs are to eat. It did not examine what about the eggs might affect the risk of death.

Men without diabetes could eat up to six eggs a week with no extra risk of death, Dr. Luc Djousse and Dr. J. Michael Gaziano of Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School found.

"Whereas egg consumption of up to six eggs a week was not associated with the risk of all-cause mortality, consumption of (seven or more) eggs a week was associated with a 23 percent greater risk of death," they wrote.

"However, among male physicians with diabetes, any egg consumption is associated with a greater risk of all-cause mortality, and there was suggestive evidence for a greater risk of MI (heart attack) and stroke."

They urged more study in the general population.

Neither 'good' nor 'bad'
Eggs are rich in cholesterol, which in high amounts can clog arteries and raise the risk of heart attack and stroke.

One expert on nutrition and heart disease said the study suggests middle-aged men, at least, should watch how many eggs they eat.

"More egg on our faces? It's really hard to say at this point, but it still seems, if you're a middle-aged male physician and enjoy eggs more than once a day, that having some of the egg left on your face may be better than having it go down your gullet," said Dr. Robert Eckel of the University of Colorado and a former president of the American Heart Association.

"But, remember: eggs are like all other foods — they are neither 'good' nor 'bad,' and they can be part of an overall heart-healthy diet," Eckel wrote in a commentary.

More likely to drink, smoke
The Harvard team studied 21,327 men taking part in the much larger Physicians' Health Study, which has been watching doctors since 1981 who have agreed to report regularly on their health and lifestyle habits.

Over 20 years, 1,550 of the men had heart attacks, 1,342 had strokes, and more than 5,000 died.

"Egg consumption was not associated with (heart attack) or stroke," the researchers wrote.

But the men who ate seven eggs a week or more were 23 percent more likely to have died during the 20-year period.

Diabetic men who ate any eggs at all were twice as likely to die in the 20 years.

Men who ate the most eggs also were older, fatter, ate more vegetables but less breakfast cereal, and were more likely to drink alcohol, smoke and less likely to exercise — all factors that can affect the risk of heart attack and death.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24028358/

Couldn't they have just printed that last paragraph, instead of slandering eggs?
  #54   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 17:52
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Men who ate the most eggs also were older, fatter, ate more vegetables but less breakfast cereal, and were more likely to drink alcohol, smoke and less likely to exercise — all factors that can affect the risk of heart attack and death.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24028358/

Couldn't they have just printed that last paragraph, instead of slandering eggs?

Do you think if you had all the correlative statistics on a group of men, and you ran them, you would find that men who wore ties that were red or yellow had by far a greater risk of dying than men who wore ties that were blue or brown?
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 03:15

Plan: high fat paleo
Stats: 238/215/165 Female 5foot 7inches
BF:yes
Progress: 32%

I also have a theory on this. At least in the UK mainstream, the kind of men who would eat loads of eggs would not only fit that drinking smoking overweight profile anyway, but it would be likely that they would be eating those eggs fried. If you eat fried food in a cafe or takaway it will be cooked in vegetable oil or sunflower oil and most people also use this at home. The better off and health concious may use olive oil but it's very rare for people to cook in lard or other animal fats these days.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 10:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/195/188 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

The same correlation that was made about women who took hormone replacement therapy. We used to think they had fewer heart attacks because of the hormones. They forgot to tell us those same women smoked less, got more exercise, weighed less and ate more radishes,or whatever.
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 13:37

BF:

As far as I know, being a doctor, particularly a doctor in a hospital, is a very stressful job.

One doctor, Dr. Malcolm Kendrick, writes very persuasively in his book, "The Great Cholesterol Con" that stress is one of the major factors in causing heart disease (along with insulin spikes).

Maybe we should recommend to our doctors that they give up their stressful jobs so they don't have heart attacks?

That would probably be a far more effective measure than telling them to eat fewer eggs.

And then we wouldn't have to listen to them telling us rubbish like you get in this article like: "Eggs are rich in cholesterol, which in high amounts can clog arteries and raise the risk of heart attack and stroke".

I thought eggs had generally been rehabilitated because it had been proved that dietary cholesterol has little or no effect on serum cholesterol. I have read about a number of studies in which this finding was made.

amanda
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 14:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Hmm. I'm trying to think how 7 eggs a week could possibly be lethal. Well, if I fed eggs to my friend's 4yo I'd have to use the epi-pen, pour a double-dose of benadryl down his throat, and call 911, but they didnt' mention anything about the people in this study being allergic to eggs. And come to think of it, egg yolks would be harmless for him anyway, it's the white's he's allergic to.

Maybe if we shot them at people's heads? I don't know, are hard boiled eggs hard enough to be used as effective bullets?
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-08, 20:45

Plan: '72 Atkins ROCKS! :D
Stats: 208.5/164.6/173 Female 5'10"
BF:Size: 18/10/10
Progress: 124%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
Maybe if we shot them at people's heads? I don't know, are hard boiled eggs hard enough to be used as effective bullets?

Probably... if you shot them out of a potato gun.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 04:57

Plan: My own
Stats: 208/180/165 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress:

Forgive me if this is too widely posted on the forum but I hope to meet with the NIH and with congressional aides this month and the more signatures and commentaries I have, the better I can combat crazy articles like this. We have all endured great frustration but there are now people trying to get the message out.

The petition site:
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/ge...xperts-who-have