Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 15:51
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Hi, Glenda. Do you have any sort of diagnosis about this, or are you just trying to figure it out yourself?

Liver. Hm. Somehow I never even think of it! Residual childhood memory, I'm sure. These days I could probably cook it with lotsa bacon and make it taste good. But back then? Ick.

I'm glad the weather is cooling off a little for you at least for a while. Enjoy those pre-dawn walks.

I don't seem to absorb B vits very well so my doctor prescribed me syringes and the liquid B. However, the prescription isn't covered by my insurance so it was over $200 to fill and I decided not to get it. So, yes, I'm trying to find other ways to "beef" up my intake.

According to http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-p.../#axzz3fKYI4YFC

Quote:
Beef (and other ruminant) liver is often called nature’s multivitamin, and for good reason. It provides about a week’s worth of pre-formed vitamin A (retinol) and copper while being perhaps the best source of B-vitamins in town. Only problem? That’s a lot of vitamin A and copper. You can’t, or at least shouldn’t eat it too often. A quarter pound, maybe a half pound per week is just about enough. Any more is probably a bit much. This focus on beef liver also keeps a lot of people from eating what is in many respects a separate yet equal liver: chicken. Lower in vitamin A (but still a fantastic source) and copper, chicken liver can be consumed more regularly than beef liver. Plus, chicken liver is even higher in folate than and about equal in zinc to beef liver.

Another benefit of chicken liver is that it’s relatively mild. Even the liver-averse who’ve tried and failed to enjoy beef or lamb liver often find they can eat chicken liver. Just make sure to choose pastured when available and select the darkest (bordering on burgundy) livers you can find; avoid pale livers.

How to do it: Chicken liver is great sautéed quickly with ginger, shallots, and garlic with a splash of rich chicken stock (reduced to a syrup) and a dash of lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.

I actually love the taste of liver, but I prefer it in liverwurst or braunschweiger. When I get the liver, (which BTW is the cheapest meat per pound I've seen recently) I soak it in red wine, marjoram, oil and a tiny bit of vinegar before pan frying. Yesterday I gave it to DH for lunch, but his was breaded. Although he ate it, I can't say that his thank you for lunch was particularly enthusiastic. (As a side note, we've been married 11 years, and not once has he neglected to say, "Takk for maten" when he finishes eating a meal I've cooked for him. Did I tell you he's Norwegian?)
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-15, 06:55
Doing My Best

Default "regimen" does not = weight loss

Cutting my walking time because the weather is heating up again. Also, I'm starting to believe that "regimen" does not = weight loss. Mixing things up both in exercise and diet keeps the machine confused. It's the machine which carries on doing what it's supposed to do for my survival, in spite of my wishes to the contrary.

The machine mustn't believe I'm in danger or it won't let go of the precious stored energy I call fat.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Jul-14-15, 08:58

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Mixing things up both in exercise and diet keeps the machine confused.
Yep, I think there's truth in this.

I notice that I fall into patterns, or "mini-habits" and then veer off into something else. I think it depends on what I stock in my cupboards. If I don't have it in the house...well, you get the picture. So my changing choices actually begin in the grocery store. It saves making many decisions daily by making one decision at the shopping cart.

Right now I seem to be in a general "eat less" phase, not really by decision. Just hot weather sloth.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-15, 07:00
Doing My Best

Default Just Jo's SEAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Jo
Stay Committed 100%
Eat Properly & Exercise Daily
Accept the things I cannot control & change the things I can.
Live my life to be Successful at following this LC WOE!

Thanks, Jo.
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Jul-17-15, 07:46
Doing My Best

Default Weakness

I was so weak this morning for the entire walk. I could hardly put one foot in front of the other. What kept me moving was the fact that I was a mile out into the desert darkness with no way back but my feet.

Maybe I need more electrolytes before the walk.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-15, 06:25
Doing My Best

Default Trotting

Between walking and running there used to be jogging. I'm not certain if jogging and trotting are the same, but this morning I was able to trot for extended seconds. Maybe by the time it gets cool, I'll be able to walk-run-walk.

I monitor the heart rate every day during the walk, and my Fitbit log keeps a record for me. I've noticed that the regular walking heart rate has settled lower. This is a good thing, meaning that I'm becoming more fit.

Today my 44 minutes broke down like this:
Peak zone=10 min
Cardio zone=34 min
Fat burn zone=14 min

Glenda, I'm proud of you.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Jul-22-15, 06:17
Doing My Best

Yesterday (first day in Texas) my walking took place mostly on country roads, some paved some not. Additionally, there are HILLS! It's a different kind of walk and probably very good for me after a year of walking mostly on very slight inclines. Here, I don't just do the morning walk plus shopping and household chores.

Example: I needed to go see my sister and the walk back an forth was another 1/2 mile. That's good. Walking to DD's house and doing the chores with the goats and chickens and dogs added some more.

Of real concern (at my age) is something I'll call "change of surface." The gravel roads are a hazard because gravel turns under the shoes.....stuff like that. I have to be very careful not to fall out here in the country by myself.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-15, 07:29

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
The gravel roads are a hazard
Oh, do be careful! I hate walking on gravel, even light gravel. One of the popular local walking trails is hard-packed clay with a gravelly surface, and I really have a hard time with it. In addition to the tripping possibility, it feels like I take one step forward and a half-step back each time.

I'm not fond of hills either, which is a problem, since I live right at the top of a hill, and whichever way I walk, it's uphill home--at least for a short distance. I've actually found routes where I can walk on the flat or gentle slope most of the time, if I want a little less challenge.

Playing with goats (even if that's actually looking after them) sounds like an entertaining change of pace.

Enjoy your Texas "vacation."
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-15, 06:39
Doing My Best

Default Walking Resumed

The happy couple (DD & SIL) returned last night. I have to say that driving 75mph on the interstate, in the dark, with tons of traffic, trying to find the airport over an hour away, was nerve-racking. We got back to the farm after midnight. Now I'm FREE! This morning I resumed my walking.

I neglected to mention that I have two 9-week-old shih tzu puppies in the living room. One is already sold, but military payday must arrive before pick up. They are in an expandable heavy wire cage and I've pretty much got them paper trained. The new families will be grateful, I hope.

One day last week I didn't even wear my Fitbit. Some of the days so far in my "vacation" have been exasperating but overall they've run smoothly.

There was no breeze this morning so I'm going to have to start wearing my cool towel. I'm so grateful to the person who invented it.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-15, 17:26
Doing My Best

I'm still doing the pre-dawn 2 miles every morning. I brought a light with me which I strap to my wrist. I walk down the center stripe of the country road. Most of the time there are no cars at all.

I've borrowed one of the house dogs for company on my walks. At first she was lagging behind as if to say, "What???? It's dark outside, and what's this walking thing?" She's good company now that she's decided it's okay to MOVE.

One more week and I'll be back with my DH in my very own home with my own sweet Frodo (poodle walking companion.) Oh how I miss them both.
  #41   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-15, 05:01
Doing My Best

This morning I took an alternate route and when the big farm dogs started barking, I hurried back to safety. I don't want to tangle with any of these in the dark, as they are working dogs doing their jobs. Don't want to get chomped.

I didn't make 2 miles.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 06:54
Doing My Best

Default How to find your lost fitness tracker

Yesterday I was so tired when I got home from the airport. (Note: if you wear an activity tracker in your bra, it drives the TSA scanners bonkers, resulting in a patdown.) Said activity tracker, my Fitbit One, never falls off. I was busy unpacking doing laundry, getting used to being back home. I changed clothes and just before bed I noticed that my Fitbit wasn't attached. Had I washed it? Oh no!
I went back downstairs and commenced the search which I'm not going to bore you with, but it was long and arduous and my Fitbit was still syncing with my computer, so it had to be within 15 feet of the PC.
I went a-googling. Ain't phone apps grand?
This app measures the strength of signal of the sought-after device, singing a different pitch as you walk around. I found my tracker! I hadn't washed it after all. Whew!
Now I've saved you the angst in case you lose a small bluetooth device because there are free apps out there for iphones and android phones to help find the not-inexpensive pieces of technology.

Android app Bit Finder
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Aug-11-15, 06:57
Doing My Best

Default Routine is good

This morning was my first day back from the Texas Farewell Tour, and I got up early and did my usual desert pre-dawn walk. 42 active minutes, as opposed to the slower walking I did while I was in Texas. My desert walk is all level, but the Texas walk has one very steep, stressful hill almost at the end of the walk, and most of the minutes are not "active" enough for my Fitbit.

I'm so glad to be back home. Routine is good.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Aug-18-15, 18:10
Doing My Best

Default We're havin' a heatwave

I'm not complaining, because this is the first bad one this summer. However, I've been taking short walks until this morning.

Today is my first day back to 2 miles.

Once we get into September, I'll start adding miles, but gradually.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Aug-21-15, 07:42
Doing My Best

Yesterday the wind was hot off the desert, even at 3:30am. I chose to walk only 30 minutes. This morning was much better, so I was back up to 2 miles and some 45 minutes, mostly in cardio zone and fat burn zone.

I'll be glad to feel Fall.