Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 22:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 191/173/150
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Whey Protein?

I've found a protien powder which includes whey protein concentrate and dextrose monohydrate (which i think is a sugar?) and also ATP (!?). Is this allowed as a substitute?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 23:23

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Calista04,

What's the carb count? I believe with all protein powders there are carbs which must be counted in your daily total. Personally, I would stay away from anything with dextrose (sugar, yikes). Most processed foods contain some carbs and to be successful, most of us must count the carbs. I don't buy anything processed if the manufacturer hasn't included the dietary breakdown. I do buy processed foods that have a dietary label and then I count the carbs.

I occasionally use "todietfor" high protein powder, 2 scoops = 21g = 2 g carbs, half of the carbs come from sugar. This never makes me feel satisfied, but it is a good vehicle for me to add plain psyllium husks and EFA oil (Omega 3, 6, 9).

If you are on induction, I would suggest following Atkins list closely for the best results.

As with all things in this WOL, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Best of luck in your LC WOL!

Ruth
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-13-01, 20:14

Stats: 191/173/150
BF:
Progress: 44%

per 30g it has 3.06g total w/ 2.46g sugar. But the dextrose could throw off the ketosis right?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-01, 19:25

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Hi Calista04,

If 30 g is a serving, I don't think such a small amount of dextrose could put you out of ketosis, but everyone is different. My understanding is a carb is a carb as far as ketosis goes. Are you in ketosis now? Dextrose is a notorious stall factor for many people. YMMV. If you try using this stuff and your rate of loss slows down, then eliminate it to see if there is a change.

Everyone on this WOL has to tweak the program to see how their body reacts to the foods. Ie: Cheese can be a stall factor for some, but it doesn't affect others. Caffeine, Splenda, citric acid are also stall factors for some but not all people. You'll only know by trying your protein powder.

I can understand your reluctance to be bumped out of ketosis. IMHO, if in doubt, just eat fresh meats, LC veg, eggs & cheese (max 4 oz/day) and you will stay in ketosis.

Karen, our gourmet food guru, strongly advises folks to eat real food (as above). Karen has been very successful at LC: she's lost 71 lbs, never to be found again *LOL* I try to stick to this but admit that protein powder sneaks in, as i said in the last post.

Are you keeping a journal (paper or online here?) It can help you track the changes in your eating & perhaps correlation to your rate of loss. (see first paragraph)

Sorry to ramble on, hope this helps a bit.

Ruth