Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-30-04, 22:38

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 253.5/189.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:41.2
Progress: 56%
Default Ani's workout log

Today was Wednesday, and that is a walk day. I walked about 50 mins, pushing a wheelchair up and down hills...It was a good walk.
My thigh muscles are still sore, I suppose I have been pushing them too much, and need to decrease the weights. Tomorrow is gym day...
I expect I will be doing about 1 hour of cardio machines...usually 20 mins on the rowing machine, 20 mins on the treadmill and 10 on the bike...I don't really care for the bike. I don't know what all the weight machines are called, but I have been doing upper and lower body on workout days. I am keeping most of the machines at 40 lbs...The glut and quad machines were at a higher weight, but I think I will lower it back down until I feel better...The tricep machines are only at 30 lbs, and even that on the 3rd set is hard.
I was extremely disappointed to only see a 1 inch loss from my arms, and a one pound gain this month....But I am wondering if this is because I am doing too high of weights...maybe I should do lower weights at a higher repitition...I wish I knew how to do this stuff better, but I guess it will come with practice, trial and error.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 00:14
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi sweetie -

We just started a thread for women and weight training etc - come have a peek for some female-centred info.

I would avoid doing low weight at high reps - it REALLY doesn't do anything. You simply CANNOT build all that much muscle - we're female, and lack the necessary hormone mix to accomplish this. In three years of lifting HARD, I MIGHT have put on 15 pounds of fat-burning mucle, and I train for hypertrophy (size).

Also, it's not clear from your post, but always do your weights FIRST, cardio SECOND. Never the other way around. Burns more fat if you do cardio second anyway.

Now, here's the link:
Women, muscle gain, carbups, etc
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 07:51

I didn't know that...But what about warming up? Do I just do like a five or 10 minute warm up then?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-01-04, 11:23
Registered Member

BF:

I never warm up at all. I'm over 40, I was fat for 20 years, I've had injuries, and I train like a MAN. No problems in almost 3 years of lifting.

If you feel you MUST warm up first, I would suggest no more than 3 minutes of cardio, and then how about doing your abs? I often do my abs first, and this DOES warm me up.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 10:41

Okay, that sounds good to me. My abs could use the work anyhow!
Yestereday the gym was closed, and I want to keep my weigh days the same as they were, so I will be just doing some cardio today...Back to weights tomorrow.
Yesterday I walked for over an hour pushing a clients wheelchair, up and down hills...It was a good walk.
Today, I think I will go to the gym for cardio machines.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-04, 17:16
Rock, Ya'll

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/273/178 Male 6 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hey Ani,

I saw you started a gym log and just wanted to say "hi."

Here's wishing you best success with your program.

And cheers!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-03-04, 09:08

Hi...JK
Built, thank you so much for all the advice! I really need and appreciate it.

So, yesterday I went to the gym and just did cardio machines...I only did half an hour tho...I found myself really tired!
Today I am off to the gym with hubby. The plan is to just do abs for a warm up, and then lifting.
The one thing I am confused about is if I am supposed to eat before lifting. I know I don't eat before cardio, but there seems like it is different for lifting. I think I will have a few berries with cream.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 02:12

Had a great workout, on Saturday and my abs are still sore...LOL A good sore tho!
Sunday was my rest day, so I didn't go to the gym with hubby. I am hoping that I will be up early enough to go for cardio before my chiropractor appointment. If not, I will go straight there afterwards.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 03:06
Registered Member

BF:

Cardio empty is correct. But eat something, say, half an hour to an hour before lifting. Some do carbs, some do protein, some do both.

Men often consume carbs AFTER, but in women, this may not be as helpful - many women (myself included) get fat when we try to get in post-workout carbs, althouth pre-workout carbs can work fine.

Currently, I do creatine with dextrose, and then a small whey shake just before lifting (fast digesting, both), followed by real (slow digesting) food after, no carbs after.

Couple of threads for you:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=187470
and
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=194433
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 20:16

Thanks Built...I feel like I am learning a lot from you! I did check out your pics too...WOW!
Today I slept in, so I went to the chiropractor, before my workout, but I didn't eat...Did have a cup of coffee tho...
I did about 1 hour of cardio, including the rowing machine, and treadmill.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-05-04, 21:08
Registered Member

BF:

Caffeine for any kind of workout is really great. Apparently it helps mobilize fat stores.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 18:11

Today was a lifting day...I just don't see how I can get 200 grams of protein in. I ate eggs, tuna, cheese, cottage cheese, and am still way below 200 grams...I am now going to have dinner, porkchops and salad. I had some grapes before I went to the gym, about a half hour...Is that right? I think!
Anyhow, I only did abs for my warmup, and a workout indeed it was for those...LOL I did 70 crunches, and then 5 sets of 10 inverted(?) situps...(using the contraption that you hang on to and lift your legs up) That is definately a difficult one, but I am sure I will soon see the results of my efforts. The lifting seems, for the most part, to be getting a bit easier...I wonder if this means I should be increasing my weights or my reps...Or both...Still my legs are pretty sore, and I could only do 3 sets of 8 at 40 lbs...They were still shaking...Hmmm, it was my last exersize, maybe I should do it sooner.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-06-04, 18:18
Registered Member

BF:

Hi, hon - do you think you NEED 200g of protein? I'd probably go by your target weight, maybe a gram per pound of that - or around 120-150g per day. See how that feels.

Workout order, grapes, all look good!

Increase the weights while DECREASING the reps. That's the reward for increasing the weight! Work the reps back up, and when you're ready to increment again, drop the set length down again.

#14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 21:32

Okay Built...That I can do! I thought I was supposed to get a gram per pound that I am...LOL Oops!
I didn't do the cardio yesteday. I slept in for work, after work had to see my doctor, was too tired last night.
Did do lifting today. Ate 3 eggs, with blueberries and whip cream before I went.
Did my leg extensions before I got too tired...That seemed to work much better for me. I decided that I would increase my weights next week...so I will up most of them, what, 5 or 10 lbs? I think I could handle 10 but maybe 5 is better. Even my triceps were easier today. Yay! Batwings will be a thing of the past one day!!! My boobs are smaller too. Hubby commented, trust a man! But he also said that the rest of me is shinking too! So I guess that makes it all okay!
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-08-04, 21:35
Registered Member

BF:

MICROINCRIMENTS! Increment by the smallest amount that you can, and do it more frequently. The big jumps are BRUTAL, and not optimal anyway.

Isn't it amazing how fast it comes along?

Enjoy!