Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-18, 08:10

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Default Bulimia in a pill people at it again

Quote:
Fighting obesity: Could it be as plain as dirt?
UniSA research digs up the fat-fighting power of clays

It costs the global economy an estimated US$2 trillion annually and has been dubbed a modern day health epidemic, but new research from the University of South Australia has unearthed a possible cure for obesity -- and it is as plain as dirt!

Investigating how clay materials can improve drug delivery, UniSA researcher and PhD candidate, Tahnee Dening serendipitously discovered that the clay materials she was using had a unique ability to "soak up" fat droplets in the gut.

Dening says this accidental discovery could potentially be a cure for obesity.

"It's quite amazing really," Dening says. "I was investigating the capacity of specifically clay materials to improve the oral delivery and absorption of antipsychotic drugs, when I noticed that the clay particles weren't behaving as I'd expected.

"Instead of breaking down to release drugs, the clay materials were attracting fat droplets and literally soaking them up.

"Not only were the clay materials trapping the fats within their particle structure, but they were also preventing them from being absorbed by the body, ensuring that fat simply passed through the digestive system.

"It's this unique behaviour that immediately signalled we could be onto something significant -- potentially a cure for obesity."

Being overweight can cause serious health conditions such as cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and some cancers.

According to the Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, obesity is increasing with almost two in three adults, and one in four children, now overweight or obese. And if its prevalence continues, we can expect nearly half the world's population to be overweight or obese by 2030.

With few effective drugs existing to counteract obesity, many companies are investing huge amounts to discover and develop alternative treatments for obesity.

Dening's research investigated the effects of montmorillonite -- a natural clay material, purified from dirt and laponite -- a synthetic clay -- in rats fed a high-fat diet, comparing against placebo and a leading weight loss drug -- orlistat. Monitoring over a two-week period, she found that while both the engineered clay formulations and orlistat delivered weight loss effects, the clay material outperformed the drug.

Dening says the findings offer new insights for obesity and weight-management, particularly when used in combination with the commercial drug, where there is potential for synergy.

"Our processed clay has an unusually high surface area which means it has a huge capacity to interact with and soak up digested fats and oils present in the foods we eat," Dening says.

"Orlistat on the other hand, is an enzyme inhibitor that blocks up to 30 per cent of dietary fat digestion and absorption, which leads to weight loss, but has unpleasant side effects such as stomach aches, bloating, flatulence and diarrhoea, which limits its use in weight loss as people choose to stop using it.

"What we're researching now is a synergistic approach with both the clay material and orlistat: the orlistat blocks the enzyme that digests fat molecules, and the clay particles trap these fats so they're excreted out of the body without causing gastrointestinal disturbances.

"We're essentially attacking fat digestion and absorption in two different ways and we hope this will lead to greater weight loss with fewer side effects."

UniSA Professor Clive Prestidge, and Dening's research supervisor, says the research has already captured the attention of potential investors.

"This is a significant discovery that provides new and exciting avenues for weight loss research which naturally attracts potential commercial partners," Prof Prestidge says.

"With a finding like this, people will naturally be keen to find out when they can try it. Given that the material is generally considered safe and is widely used in food and nutraceutical products, it is feasible that human clinical trials could start reasonably soon.

"Watch this space."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...81212104632.htm

I don't mean to be too cutesy with the thread title, I know bulimia is serious. But eating food and then taking measures to make sure you don't absorb it--what's that called again? I eat lots of fat, I hope to digest it and use it for energy. I don't see malabsorption of fat from nuts as an advantage, I see it as kind of wasteful. I'm also not crazy about drugs that block starch digestion, or that have us peeing sugar.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-18, 08:14
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

And there will be millions of people who will pay to swallow dirt and die of malnutrition. So irresponsible.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-18, 08:57

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

But we already have
Quote:
The AspireAssist--which drains ingested food from the stomach into the toilet.
What more do we need?
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-13-18, 20:26

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

That pretty much covers it for me.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-14-18, 19:58

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releas...81212104632.htm

I don't mean to be too cutesy with the thread title, I know bulimia is serious. But eating food and then taking measures to make sure you don't absorb it--what's that called again? I eat lots of fat, I hope to digest it and use it for energy. I don't see malabsorption of fat from nuts as an advantage, I see it as kind of wasteful. I'm also not crazy about drugs that block starch digestion, or that have us peeing sugar.

I tried those pills in early 2000's. Caused long-term change to my body - namely gluten intolerance.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-19, 17:37
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

It does seem like then you can binge on food you don't want to ingest, and once it's half-ingested, you can purge it out of you with clay pills. So the title makes sense to me.

PJ