Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-13, 13:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/265.2/170 Female 5, 5
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Atkins frozen meals

I'm thinking about kick starting my way back to low carb by having 2 or 3 of these meals a day with my coffee/snacks. Has anyone been able to lose weight doing this?

This would not be a long term plan because I'm sure they're not all that healthy...let's face it frozen dinners just can't be that great. But I actually like all the stuff I've tried like the breakfast scrambles the chicken dishes etc.

It just might be a no brainer way to get going. Wondering if anyone has tried this and more importantly, was it successful?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-13, 13:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

i don't think is a good idea--- i had the chicken alfredo and the chicken pot pie. they were tasty, but small. i want to say maybe 300-350 calories?

and yes, they are full of not so great ingredients- i think keeping a few around for an emergency is smart, but i would not base a diet around them.

why not just do induction?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-13, 14:10

Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Amber,
I don't think this would be a good idea for most. But it might be what you need to get yourself back on track.
They're probably healthier than off-plan eating

Progress, not perfection
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-13, 16:28

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

You're not going to get much variety if all you eat are these Atkins frozen meals. I was only able to find four different ones in my grocer's freezer.

I was not that impressed with the two I tried. I know I can do better in my own kitchen.

But there is a certain allure to "keep it simple, sweetie!" You can do this diet without much cooking. For example, buy a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken, boil a dozen eggs, open up those bags of pre-cut salad, etc. I see pre-cooked bacon, pre-cooked beef au jus, pork roast au jus, turkey au jus, cleaned and cut raw veggies for dipping into dips, pre-cubed cheese, all available for purchase at the grocery. They are, of course, more expensive than preparing your own roasts, cutting your own veggies, and so forth, but I think still less expensive than eating 3 Atkins frozen meals daily.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-13, 16:58

BF:

Thanks all...I've got my answer! Eat real food! LOL! Will do.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-10-13, 18:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

^^
there you go, Blackstone!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-11-13, 11:14

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Good luck! Personally I'm happy to have the Atkins frozen meals. In general I think their ingredients are pretty awesome if you compare them to other frozen meal brands. There are one or two that had some questionable ingredients so I avoided those - but that still gave me a big variety. I have them rarely, but I enjoy keeping a few in my freezer for days that I just *DON'T* want to cook anything! That does happen.

I still have some in the freezer and it's been months since I last had one, but if I find myself using them up I'll definitely run out and get some more. One thing I can say about them is that they are the only frozen meal I've ever tried that tasted good just as is, without doctoring up in any way. Years back (before I discovered low carb) I used to buy Lean Cuisine meals occasionally, but realized I was certainly defeating their purpose since they all tasted like cr*p to me unless I dosed with up with plenty of butter and/or shredded cheese!

I sometimes add butter or shredded cheese to the Atkins meals too as they are only about 300 calories each. But I don't *have* to. They taste yummy to be as is.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 15:28

BF:

Debbie - I agree. They are actually very good. Didn't really look at the ingredients list...I just assumed they were full of crap. Nice to know that some of them are not. I really like the chicken pot pie and love the 2 breakfast scrambles. Anyway - Thanks for your 2 cents.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Oct-12-13, 15:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 204.3/153.8/130 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 68%

My experience with any Atkins products is that even though they say "all phases", they aren't induction friendly if you read the ingredient list. They are also highly processed. I have the best results when I stick with real food.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-13, 09:19

Stats: 237/149/136 Female 66 inches
BF:?% / 33% / 25%
Progress: 87%

I keep the Atkins frozen meals in the freezer for when I need a change. I'm most concerned about the high sodium levels, but the calories are very low. So, I add a little meat and vegetable to the meals. They contain lots of sauce or flavorings to cover my addition. I get a large meal with lots of flavor.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Oct-13-13, 13:38

Plan: Atkins-ish :)
Stats: 365/243/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I think kick starting with whole food is always the *best* way to go but it certainly isn't the *only* way. A huge part of long term success really does revolve around making something work for YOU. The only atkins frozen meal that I have tried and liked is the chili so I do keep a few of them in my deep freezer. Sure, it would be a better choice to make my own but that isn't always an option for me. I would much rather pop one in the microwave and have something fast and on plan rather then allow time/hunger to push me through a drive thru somewhere. Do what YOU need to do, that is really the best advice there is.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 11:06

Stats: 192/178/145 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 30%

Atkins has Chili?
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-25-13, 11:48

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowCarbNut
Atkins has Chili?

Yes - one of their frozen meals is Chili Con Carne
Quote:
Premium USDA ground beef, tomatoes, green & red bell peppers in a hearty chili sauce topped with Cheddar cheese.
Though the ingredients list seems to include some rung 6, 8 or 9 foods amongst the preservatives etc

It does seem an awfully small "meal" to me - perhaps better served over cauli-rice or some other vegetables or eaten "as is" for a snack rather than a meal replacement.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-26-13, 08:04
Registered Member

Stats: 232/216/185 Male 5'11''
BF:Dropping!
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon76
My experience with any Atkins products is that even though they say "all phases", they aren't induction friendly if you read the ingredient list. They are also highly processed. I have the best results when I stick with real food.

I agree with Shannon76. The bars always cause stalls with me, so I shy away from them. I don't know about the meals, but I'll shy away from them until I'm at goal.