Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Soups Sauces & Appetizers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 17:56
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Tortilla Soup

Minus the corn tortillas, of course. This delectable soup can be seen here: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/2009/07/13/tortilla-soup/

This Induction friendly soup is one of my favorites at Mexican restaurants. My first exposure to it was at a little place in San Antonio called El Mirador. And let me tell you, I’ve had it many places since and none can shine a light to their rendering of it. They only serve their Tortilla Soup on Sundays, but my Dad and Mom took me there one time years ago and I’ve tried to emulate that wonderful soup ever since. This low-carb version, without the little strips of tortillas in it, is just about as good in my opinion as it’s higher carb cousin! And it's very close to El Mirador's version, too!

INGREDIENTS:

13 oz. cooked chicken meat (canned with juice is fine)
1 qt. water
2 c. chicken broth
1 oz. tomato paste
1 c. yellow squash, diced (about ½ med-large squash)
2 oz. yellow onion
2 oz. green bell pepper
1 oz. poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 tsp. chili powder
dash chipotle chile powder (smoky)
1 small Guajillo chile, seeded and chopped (these are very mild and found in most stores’ produce dept. dried, sold in a bag)
Dash cumin

1/4 c. heavy cream (added right before serving)

DIRECTIONS: Cut chicken meat up into small pieces. If using canned meat, just break up the large chunks. Put all ingredients but the cream into soup pot. Bring to a boil and then lower heat and simmer until squash and all veggies are tender but not falling apart (about 15-20 minutes). Turn heat to lowest setting. Now add cream and stir. If you like, you can puree this soup with a stick blender or in small batches in your food processor. I think I like it better chunky myself. That’s how El Mirador served theirs as well. I’ve done it both ways though.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION: Serves 4, each serving contains:

283 calories
15.1 g. fat
6.95 g. carbs, 1.6 g. fiber, 5.35 NET CARBS
29.1 g. protein
780 mg sodium
40% RDA Vitamin B6, 18% B12, 57% C, 25% copper, 24% iron, 12% magnesium, 16% manganese, 71% niacin, 35% phosphorous, 25% riboflavin, 41% selenium, 10% thiamin, 27% zinc, 578 mg potassium
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-26-11, 18:07

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

I am going to try this tomarrow
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 11:18
Patience Personified

Think you'll like this. It's one of my better soups.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 13:30

Plan: THM
Stats: 272/216/137 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 41%

Thanks for posting this! My summer squash are just starting, and I have home-canned cubed chicken and turkey - I could whip this up rather quickly, and I love Mexican flavors! I don't think I'm capable of adding just a dash of cumin, though. I love the stuff!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-11, 14:42
Patience Personified

I do too, Cat, but put just a little and taste. The cilantro and squash flavors are subtle in this and cumin can really overpower.