Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 04:52

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ada
So since there are four tabelspoons of flax in the bread and the bread has 8 slices than I could have two slices a day maybe instead of one tablespoon of flax in my water? I am taking the pills right now and it says to take five to six of them twice a day to get things "going"...I would rather eat this delicious bread!! Is my rambling rational??
Absolutely!!
I developed the recipe as a way of making ground flax palatable after discovering I could not manage to gulp it down just mixed in water!!
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 09:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215.5/163/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default Muffins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubby_one
Sorry if this is a repeat......but I found this muffin in a minute recipe and just tried it. Really good too and very similar to Ellizellen's recipe.

1/4 cup flax meal
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 packet splenda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large egg
1 teaspoon of butter

1. Put dry ingredients in a coffee mug (or bowl for different shape)
2. Stir
3. Add egg and butter. Mix.

Microwave 1 minute on high.
Take out, slice, butter, enjoy.

Cream cheese would go nicely too.

Serving size: 1

Notes: 1.5 net carbs
Per serving: 235 calories; 18g fat (63% calories from fat); 12g protein; 11g carbs; 223mg cholesterol; 284mg sodium

That is similar to a muffin recipe I have and use all the time but it contains pecans and makes 6. I keep these on hand all the time
  #123   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 09:55
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacianbob
When I make this recipe, I use an old tupperware container, about 6"x 3" and I cut it into 4 regular size slices.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumplinduo
That's what I use also. Must be why I get less than the eight.

Just wanted to point out that one should NEVER use plastic storage containers in the microwave, unless they're specifically labelled as safe for such use. This goes for old margarine and yogurt containers too. These plastics will break down with the high heat, causing pvc's and other petro-chemicals to leach into your food.

Even the trays in which microwavable prepared meals are packaged are only intended for single use .. there's usually a label on the package warning they should be discarded or recycled, not reused.

Plastics that are safe for microwave use will say so on the bottom. If there's no "microwave safe" mark, please don't use it .

Also be aware that plastics, including "microwave safe", do eventually break down over time and repeated use .. "old" containers are more likely to leach than "new". If the container has ever softened or warped from being microwaved .. definitely discard or recycle. It's no longer safe to use!

hth

Doreen
  #124   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 11:12

Stats: 146.8/145/135 Female 5 feet nine inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizellen
Absolutely!!
I developed the recipe as a way of making ground flax palatable after discovering I could not manage to gulp it down just mixed in water!!

I can't thank you enough for this bread! I made it last night and I admit I ate three slices in one sitting with some butter...DELICIOUS! I had two slices toasted with some butter for breakfast with an egg and some bacon. I have been eating bacon and eggs for so long with out toast and now I don't have to settle anymore. My gran and my mom also thought it was great! I urge EVERYONE on this site to try this bread it is really amazing!
  #125   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 13:29
Sugar Free & Sober!

Plan: Atkins/maintenance
Stats: 186/155/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I'm sure this has already been asked but... Where do you get the flax seed?
  #126   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 13:54

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

I buy mine from a health food shop (UK) but I think in USA it is sold in ordinary supermarkets too.
  #127   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 18:58
Sugar Free & Sober!

BF:

I couldn't find any at the walmart here in town. They have a supercenter in the next town, I'll try there tomorrow. If not, Someone gave me a web site I can order it from.
  #128   ^
Old Sat, Mar-17-07, 22:48

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

You should be able to find it on Amazon - other people have mentioned ordering it from netrition.

I find it readily available from Bob's Red Mill in the more "upscale" grocery stores in this area - the ones that have organic sections, and some that have more extensive imported food sections.
  #129   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 15:27
Sugar Free & Sober!

BF:

There is another thread about this to. I'm on both of them.
I found some cold milled flax today at the supercenter. I made it and it turned out pretty good. It did sorta seperate, eggy on bottom and flax on top. I will try a different container to cook it in next time. I ate it strait out of the microwave. I ate about a 1/4 of the batch. Husband came along and ate the rest before I could tell him he didn't need all that flax seed. Not sure what will come of that!! I did suggest that he drink pleanty of water.
  #130   ^
Old Sun, Mar-18-07, 18:47

Stats: 222/210.8/160 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Now I KNOW........

Yep - now I understand what all the shouting is about!!!!!!!

WOWOWOWOW!

Made mine in a pyrex pie dish
Made mine like the original w/ 2 eggs, but with a packet of Splenda and 2 TB water
First 2 of 4 quarters topped w/ soft butter whilst still warm from microwave...

oooooooo la la

drinking water - don't want this to set up on me!!!!!!!
  #131   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 12:51

Plan: moderately LC
Stats: 188/160.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

ok after all the rave reviews, i rushed out and bought ground flax yesterday. i made a 'loaf' this morning and fried it up into some french toast, topped it off with some 0-carb/0-sugar syrup, and thought i'd give my honest review for those out there who, like me, are WHITE bread lovers..

this is my first experience with any kind of non-white bread.

it's also my first experience with sugar-free syrup.

this stuff is pretty good!

the texture seems a bit spongey, the flavor seems almost but not quite nutty or something. maybe nutty isn't the right word, but i don't know what whole grain bread tastes like, and that's what i've seen some people here compare it to. i was really expecting to hurl after my first bite, either from the bread itself or the sugar-free syrup, or maybe both, but instead i ate four slices of french toast and really enjoyed it.

of course, it just doesn't seem natural to drink water with anything sweet... i long for a big glass of milk! (any ideas on what to drink that tastes like milk?)
  #132   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 13:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyC
(any ideas on what to drink that tastes like milk?)

One day when I couldn't stand it - I poured heavy whipping cream into glass and added water ......it wasn't the "same" - but it took care of the need at that time.

HTH

Vicki
  #133   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 13:27

Plan: moderately LC
Stats: 188/160.4/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

how much water to the whipping cream?

i was surprised the store around the corner was OUT of cream the other day, so i ended up with half-n-half. i was tempted to try drinking it this morning LOL, but i was a little afraid to... didn't want to try TOO many new things at once!
  #134   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 14:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyC
how much water to the whipping cream?

i was surprised the store around the corner was OUT of cream the other day, so i ended up with half-n-half. i was tempted to try drinking it this morning LOL, but i was a little afraid to... didn't want to try TOO many new things at once!

I would guess something like 1 part cream 3 parts water ..........and I drank it right down rather than to try to savor it like I would a glass of the real stuff, which I DO love and miss greatly.

Off hand, I don't know the carb count in half/half - but think it is higher than I wanted to go when checking it at the store.

Right now I am having a yummy cream thing - 1/4-1/2 cup heavy cream, one pkt Spenda, 1/2 tsp SF raspberry jello - all stirred together and eaten with a spoon. The flecks of jello give it a jazzy taste - I like this much better than letting it set up.
  #135   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-07, 21:35

Stats: 246/202/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Wow... this bread is the real deal! Tiny, but oh so good. And very filling.

Thanks so much for posting this.