Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-09, 23:16

Plan: Atkins/M&E/IF?
Stats: 194/163.2/150 Female 69"
BF:37.2%/28.9%/21%
Progress: 70%
Default When to start probiotics...

Hi all. I have been gradually easing my way into a candida cure: first, diet, then, multiple anti-fungals. I have managed to incorporate these two things but now I need a little help with probiotics. I have purchased a liquid acidophilus that is milk based. The diet calls for no dairy and no soy and as most of the probiotics were based in one or the other, I chose the dairy. How much should I be taking to start, when should I be taking it (this is my 5th week into the cure and first week on probiotics), and how much should I be taking at maximum dosage? Also, I seem to be experiencing some "die off" symptoms again and was just wondering if this is truly die-off or a reaction to the probiotics. Any help is appreciated...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 17:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/156/135 Female 5 FT 4 inches
BF:11/24/08 start dat
Progress: 45%

I would like this information too ? What antifungal do you take ?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-09, 23:48

For anti-fungals, I have been alternating two weeks on
oil of oregano (extract 0.75ml)
olive leaf oil (extract 1.5ml)
pau d'arco (extract 1.5ml)
and Yeast-Cleanse (Solaray capsules, 2 2xdaily)

with two weeks on
goldenseal (berberine - capsules, 1 2xdaily)
black walnut (capsules, 1 2xdaily)
cat's claw (capsules, 1 2xdaily)
and caprylic acid (capsules, 2 2xdaily).

I am taking coconut oil every day (3-4 T) and occasionally throw in a pau d'arco tea. I worked up to these dosages by taking 1/4 to 1/2 the dosage here to see how I reacted to them.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 07:18
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 160/160/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

That is a massive quantity of anti-fungals taken together. IS there a reason you are taking all of these at once?
Which probiotic are you taking? The dose would be dependent on the product potency.
I have had very good luck with Nature's Way Primadophilus reuteri superior probiotic(not advertising, just happy with product). It's reasonable and effective.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-09, 10:46

Re: lots of anti-fungals: I was having the same trouble with the anti-fungals that I am having with the probiotics: hours of websearching, and there isn't anything out there on where to start! I finally found one site that had some concrete recommendations, so I took that and adapted it (fungusfocus.com). I am pretty sure that yeast has been at the bottom of all the health problems that I have been having the last 5-10 years, so unless they will actively hurt me (other than die-off symptoms), I figured I try them and see if it helped. So far so good. (I'm also a bit of a supplement freak--upwards of 15 different kinds a day in addition to these--so what's a few more? lol)

THANK YOU Starina for your recommendation. I purchased Lifetime Liquid Acidophilus & Bulgaricus (natural plain). It has 1 billion Lactobaillus Organism per serving (2T). I think it was $9 for 16oz (32 servings). One question I had was about the dairy/soy thing. DO they make these things without one of the two? Is your Nature's Way soy or dairy based? Thanks again for the recommendation.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 17:23
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 160/160/140 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Shelbyla, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you re the Nature's Way, I don't know what the base is sigh. It does say may have traces of each. grrr... more research, I do have one that is definitely free of both, but it's harder to find. It is Klaire Labs Vital 10. Dairy and everything free.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-15-09, 01:31

Plan: Anti-Candida
Stats: 138.2/125/135 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 413%

This is the probiotic that I'm taking:

http://www.renewlife.com/products/critical-care-50.aspx

It has 50 billion active bacteria per capsule. I've been taking it for a month, and I've been happy with it. I started taking it before I started taking any anti-fungals.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 17:03

Plan: nothing yet
Stats: 245/245/200 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress:

I take two probiotic capsules every night prior to going to bed... Different brand of probiotic than you're taking.

Out of curiousity, what Oregano Oil are you using? I've heard good things about oregano oil, but haven't found a good brand. just curious.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-09, 20:31

BF:

This is the oregano oil that I've heard good stuff about: http://www.iherb.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=7694&at=0

I haven't tried it yet, but it's supposed to be good. I'll be ordering it in the next few days. It also comes in super strength, but I'm afraid that the Herxheimer's reaction will be too bad if I take that one first.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 08:46

Plan: close to zero carbs
Stats: 225/206/210 Male 73
BF:
Progress:

It really isn't advantageous to take probiotics while doing a cleanse..even for candida. I would wait til after your cleansing protocol then hit it very hard for a week.

I would use Garden of Lifes Primal Defense Ultra..it has the best mix of probiotics at the right dose and has a strain of probiotics that is completely immune to anitibiotics called Sachromyeces Boulardi(?) It also has a killer strain called Bacillus Subtillus..this probiotic is the pit bull of probiotics. It does not colonize in the gut but dies off after it does its duty.

People need to understand that just taking Acidophilus or Bifidum alone, more than likely will not do much good. Most of us are intestinal fortitude is in a state of dysbiosis..meaning we have predominately bad critters in our gut. Well these bad critters need to be killed. Acidophulus and Bifidum do not do this. In fact the bad critters put off ammonia and other toxins to keep these probiotics from colonating.

Think of this like going to fight a forest fire with squirt guns when taking Acidophilus or Bifudum by themselve.

So the Bacillus Subtillus will go in there and kill these pathogens. Candida etc ..and THEN the Acidophulus and Bifidum can now have a clean terrain to colonize..cool stuff.

Also when you see formulas with 50 billion per cap..that is NOT a good thing. That means this strain needs that high of a dose just to give you an appreciable amount..it is not a good colonizing strain when doses are that high.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 16:30

BF:

All I can say is that with my 50 billion, I've seen a world of difference. There are formulas offered by the same company with smaller numbers, but when one's body is so low on good bacteria, some of us need more than what is typical to get out of this bad health.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 21:30

BF:
Progress:

I guess what I'm trying to say Judy is you do not get close to 50 billion active bacteria..most die off or do not survive gastric juices..that is why they are so high..they are not a good colonizing strain.

It really is a marketing tool. "Look ours has 50 billion" CU's

Though I am glad that you have reaped great results from your probiotic.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-04-09, 23:46

BF:

Mine has an enteric coating, so theoretically, they get past the gastric juices. I've tried a number of other probiotics in the past and couldn't tell I was taking anything, so something is working with these that didn't with the others.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 09:48

BF:
Progress:

Oh I'm quite familiar with Renew Life, I ued to sell it at my store lol.

Theoretically is correct. Enteric coating a probiotic is not ideal..

Stay away from enteric coated cultures for a few reasons. One is that no studies show that they work. In nature these cultures are not enteric coated. The process of coating these live cultures with a protective layer may in fact kill them or reduce their viability. If these cultures are supposed to get into the intestinal tract on their own and be acid resilient, the whole process of enteric coating is suspect.

Some Probiotics are activated once they hit the saliva in your mouth..so that means you have flora hitting your espophagus all the way to your stomach..which is a good thing.

But again, I think it's great that you found a product that works for you. I know alot of people whom that never happens for.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 20:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gostrydr
Stay away from enteric coated cultures for a few reasons. One is that no studies show that they work. In nature these cultures are not enteric coated. The process of coating these live cultures with a protective layer may in fact kill them or reduce their viability. If these cultures are supposed to get into the intestinal tract on their own and be acid resilient, the whole process of enteric coating is suspect.

So says the Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients. I've read that before, but I've also read opinions from other experts, backed by studies, who say otherwise. Since I haven't had good results with the other probiotics and am having good results with these, that shows that the enteric coating is doing something favorable.

The probiotic I take with the enteric coating is the only "unnatural" supplement that I'll take. I refuse to take supplements with excipients, which means I am quite limited when it comes to purchasing supplements. However, in this case, I feel that the risks of the enteric coating outweigh the benefits for me and probably for many others as well.