Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 13:32

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default And the drum-beat against meat continues....

Quote:
Mar 12, 2019
Plant-Based Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams Launches Citywide School 'Meatless Mondays'
The initiative, which will start in the 2019-20 school year, will see all schools serve vegetarian menus on Mondays for Breakfast and lunch in a bid to improve public health

All New York City public schools will have 'Meatless Mondays' beginning in the 2019-2020 school year, under a scheme developed by Mayor Bill de Blasio, Schools Chancellor Richard A. Carranza, and vegan Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams.

The initiative, which was first piloted in 15 schools in Brooklyn in Spring 2018, will provide students with healthy, all-vegetarian breakfast and lunch menus every Monday.

According to New York City's Mayor's Office, Meatless Mondays is 'a national movement focused on healthy, environmentally-friendly meal options...[which] builds on the City's efforts to provide free, healthy meals to all students'.

Meatless Mondays
"I stood beside Mayor de Blasio and then-Chancellor Fariņa in 2017 to announce that 15 schools in Brooklyn were undertaking Meatless Mondays," Brooklyn Borough President, Eric Adams, said in a statement sent to Plant Based News.

"In less than 18 months, we can announce that Meatless Mondays has spread to more than one million children at every school across the city, putting us on the path to make our kids, communities, and planet healthier.

"I am grateful to Mayor de Blasio and Chancellor Carranza, as well as our incredible parent and student advocates who have made this a reality. I could not be more energized by our progress and more ready to take on the work ahead."

Improve health
"Cutting back on meat a little will improve New Yorkers' health and reduce greenhouse gas emissions," added Mayor Bill de Blasio. "We're expanding Meatless Mondays to all public schools to keep our lunch and planet green for generations to come."

"Meatless Mondays are good for our students, communities, and the environment," said Schools Chancellor Richard A. Carranza.

"Our 1.1 million students are taking the next step towards healthier, more sustainable lives. Our students and educators are truly leaders in this movement, and I salute them!"

sigh... just glad I don't live in New York City.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 13:37

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Spoke to friend the other night-- he limits beef: it sticks in the GI. Im not kidding. lol. Asked where he got such information, and tried to have a meaningful talk..... just not a good time for that.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 14:47

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

It's becoming more and more prevalent for people to make edicts for how others should live their lives to the point of threatening legislation. Let's hope that never occurs.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 14:50

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Thank goodness my kids pack their own lunch--- home made jerky this week!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 19:10

BF:

oops, I had intended to post a link to the original article that appeared on a website called "Plant-Based News"

Here it is... just in case anyone else felt moved to post a comment regarding how unfair and over-reaching such a step is. I did. I suspect that it'll probably get deleted rather rapidly tho since it was definitely NOT pro-vegan.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 19:20

Plan: Atkins/ carnivore
Stats: 302/270/190 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 29%

Where is their science. Speaking in platitudes provides no information. Now what would the vegetarian alternative be for these kids. More whole grains perhaps. Well I read it and all I can do is shake my head.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 22:10

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yes, let's not let real science get in the way of a good story and the sensation of accomplishment.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 23:30

BF:

Unfortunately, it looks to me like vegans are ACCOMPLISHING their aims. That is, they've figured out how to advance their political agenda without LEGISLATIVE ACTION by getting people elected/hired into positions of local authority (such as the Brooklyn Borough Presidency and School) where they can act by fiat in ways that directly impact the dietary choices of millions.

Meatless Mondays will become "Meat-free schools" then, the next thing you know, the schools will start telling students who bring their own lunches that they may NOT bring any food containing meat to school.

The public school district that my brother's children attend has banned peanuts from their campuses which means that even children who brown-bag their own lunches are not allowed to bring ANYTHING containing peanuts. Their rational is that peanuts are a health risk to some children who might ACCIDENTALLY ingest some peanuts if their peers are allowed to bring any on campus, therefore no children may have any peanut-containing food item at school.

I see the hand-writing on the wall...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 23:59

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

They tried a Meat-free Monday at my regular lunchtime cafeteria spot one day last year. It turned out to be one of the quietest days they ever had. They never did it again.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-19, 03:41

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

The school lunch requirements state that they MUST provide milk, so the meals will not be vegan until that is changed.

However, check out the grains optional meat/meat alternates section on this PDF. Clearly, they aren't required to provide any meat/meat alternates unless the kids eat their grains. However, meat alternates could include yogurt, cheese, or eggs. (At first I thought of PB, then realized that wouldn't fly because they need to keep all peanut products out of the schools) Not that I think their plan is to offer other animal based proteins - they're going to be giving them extra grains, maybe some soy based glop as a quasi-protein component... But oh yeah, the USDA considers soybeans (a legume) to be a grain anyway.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-19, 09:44

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
Unfortunately, it looks to me like vegans are ACCOMPLISHING their aims. That is, they've figured out how to advance their political agenda without LEGISLATIVE ACTION by getting people elected/hired into positions of local authority (such as the Brooklyn Borough Presidency and School) where they can act by fiat in ways that directly impact the dietary choices of millions.

Meatless Mondays will become "Meat-free schools" then, the next thing you know, the schools will start telling students who bring their own lunches that they may NOT bring any food containing meat to school.

The public school district that my brother's children attend has banned peanuts from their campuses which means that even children who brown-bag their own lunches are not allowed to bring ANYTHING containing peanuts. Their rational is that peanuts are a health risk to some children who might ACCIDENTALLY ingest some peanuts if their peers are allowed to bring any on campus, therefore no children may have any peanut-containing food item at school.

I see the hand-writing on the wall...
The same argument can then be used to ban all food items containing gluten.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-19, 11:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I see the Keto wave of influence has the ability to beat that back, some. The Vegans have been essentially unopposed until recently.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Mar-15-19, 20:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_man
Where is their science. Speaking in platitudes provides no information. Now what would the vegetarian alternative be for these kids. More whole grains perhaps. Well I read it and all I can do is shake my head.

Dollars to donuts (no pun intended) it'll be pasta or pizza.