Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 00:40

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/270/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress:
Default help me please

Hi. I'm 28 years old(male) do you think I have candida?

this is whats wrong with me....

chronic bad thrush, chronic jock itch,chronic athlete's foot , red rash on my face, a bad smell behind my ears, panic attacks, headaches, confused all the time, bad short term memory, weak feeling, chronic eye floters, chronic light headed or weird vision....

I have not felt good for the last 10 years. everything has gradually gotten worse...but the last 6-7 months its been really bad with the vision and the weak feeling. , I have been tested for everything at least 1 time. I dont know what to do. ???????????????????

I was not ever a heathy eater(at all) I lived off of cigarettes, pop and fast food for the last 2 years. I was on antibiotics off and on when I was younger, maybe 3 -4 times a year. I have been under a ton of stress...

help.

Last edited by mrt1 : Wed, Aug-13-08 at 00:52.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 00:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Are you ready to start changing your way of eating?

I'm not really a great believer in candida but I think a good diet can do wonders. I suggest Paleo diet. A lot of your symptoms sound like food intolerances. Many of which I had, have gone away now.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 07:31
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Candida
Stats: 172/159/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

I have read that you can actually have a bloodtest done to test for candida. You may want to try that if you want to be sure. For myself, I have just started a candida diet because I suspect I have it and the healthy way of eating can not do me any harm to try it. I believe in it at this point, but either way, I agree with NancyLC that you should investigate healthier eating. Giving your body the proper nutrients makes a world of difference and try to reduce your stress as much as possible. For me, I have been on the South Beach diet and the transition to the candida diet is really easy. Take a look around to find a program that will work best for your lifestyle. Also, if it is candida you have, you will need to take a supplement program in addition to the diet.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 10:27

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 285/275/135 Female 5'3"
BF:baby's got back
Progress: 7%

Yeast feeds off sugar so I would say despite any diagnosis, you need to cut out the carbs. Seek a doctor's opinion about antifungal medication. I would also read the book The Yeast Connection by Dr. William Crook.

~Danielle
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 10:32

Plan: My Own
Stats: 215/212/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Based on what you describe, my opinion (and it's worth what you paid for it, I'm sure! ) is YES YOU HAVE CANDIDA!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 11:35

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

For me, it's a no brainer. Thrush, jock itch and athlete's foot are fungal infections; therefore, you have a fungal infection. I don't think it's a great leap to say that if you have it on the outside, you also have it on the inside. Your other symptoms just confirm it.

I had a furry tongue, jock itch and frequent athlete's foot before I started trying to treat candida. I think I still have some candida overgrowth, but I've fought it back a lot and now I don't get those symptoms.

Candida and food intolerances feed on each other -- candida causes leaky gut, and leaky gut allows food proteins to enter the bloodstream, triggering the immune system. Leaky gut also allows opioid peptides from gluten and dairy to enter the bloodstream, and from there, the brain, with LSD-like effects. This is one theory for the cause of schizophrenia and autism. I had a lot of confusion, dizziness, bad temper and mild panic attacks when I was eating gluten and dairy, but they've improved dramatically on a very low-carb, high-fat, Paleo-like diet.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 12:11

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantEven
Yeast feeds off sugar so I would say despite any diagnosis, you need to cut out the carbs. Seek a doctor's opinion about antifungal medication. I would also read the book The Yeast Connection by Dr. William Crook.

~Danielle

Hi again, Yes I ve been to the DR. 3 times. They ran a ton of blood work, everthing comes back fine, out side of my Liver ALT's, they are very high.. The DR. said my tongue looks normal. lol.... I have 2 huge cracks on my tongue, about 1/4 inch deep, and there is chunky white stuff on it, he also said my jock itch in nothing. even tho there is a burning bright red rash all over the place,

I told him I was light headed, had like a tight felling in my chest, sighing all the time, and had panic problems.. he just looked at me a stated tapping his head. ( Like I was crazy) I have kaiser permanente for insurance.

I just want to know that everything else is ok with me before I start dealing with the candida problems. \\

Iknow I most likely did this to myself with a poor diet, and smoking, but now I see my wife having some of the same signs, she just got a yeast infection, and here skin is looking kinda bad???? WTF is going on?

I am starting to make a BIG change in my diet. I've been on a diet for 3 days, and started taking some natural meds. like cell food etc etc.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 12:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Geographic tongue... ringing a bell.... let me look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_tongue

I think you might get the most bang for the buck eliminating grains entirely and gluten in all forms, beer, soy sauce everything. After that, dairy.

Good luck! Quit smoking too. It's doable... miserable but doable! I think the patch helped me quit, a little anyway.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 12:25

Sounds like the doctor thinks everything is ok with you. Good thing you're taking care of yourself!

My wife and I used to pass candida back and forth between each other. We went on Atkins together and both got better.

Atkins has a list of foods to avoid if you have candida, but from my experience, the most important one is cheese.

What's cell food?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 12:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Geographic tongue... ringing a bell.... let me look it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_tongue

I think you might get the most bang for the buck eliminating grains entirely and gluten in all forms, beer, soy sauce everything. After that, dairy.

Good luck! Quit smoking too. It's doable... miserable but doable! I think the patch helped me quit, a little anyway.

I see you edited your post, Nancy. I'll just give it a bump here.

Sally Fallon hints at this, but I really believe it: addiction is a symptom of malnutrition. Most drugs, including nicotine, cause a spike in blood sugar - I think that helps you feel better even though your minerals, B vitamins etc are low. I'd be curious to find out if a good diet makes it easier to quit smoking.

I think I've had geographic tongue. Here's a funny thing: sometimes my tongue is irritated by pork chops. Maybe it's the sharp bones, but I tend to think there's more to it. I sure hope I don't have a pork allergy! Vinegar tends to make my tongue "break out" too - I get white rings near the tip. And gluten and dairy of course.

Last edited by capmikee : Thu, Aug-14-08 at 12:37.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-08, 13:39

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
For me, it's a no brainer. Thrush, jock itch and athlete's foot are fungal infections; therefore, you have a fungal infection. I don't think it's a great leap to say that if you have it on the outside, you also have it on the inside. Your other symptoms just confirm it.

Even if you don't have chronic yeast overgrowth internally, an "anti yeast diet" can still be helpful in keeping these assorted exterior fungal infections under control.

I'm not particularly familiar with an "anti yeast diet' other than being told to avoid sugar when I was dealing with repeated vaginal yeast infections when I was younger. Based on current knowledge of carbohydrate digestion, I'd expand that to say "cut back on sugars and starches" since the body turns "healthy complex carbohydrates" into sugars anyway. Sugar feeds yeast. Carbs and proteins feed humans without feeding the yeast.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 06:35
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Candida
Stats: 172/159/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

The basic Candida diet eliminates all forms of sugar, dairy, grains, vinegar and all products containing vinegar, alchohol, and all processed foods. There are many versions and websites that are similar (with some differences), so you'll have to do some investigating. Or, I have been reading that certain alternative medicine doctors (naturopaths and some chiropractors) treat it. I personally found a website that I have found to be very helpful to me and it is the program I am using if you want to take a look... http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4966/ The lady who started it will even email you personally if you want to ask her questions. I've done it and she has been more than helpful and friendly.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 22:20

Plan: anti-candida
Stats: 160/160/135 Female 5ft 6inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi,
I have delt with candida issues for quite a while and have thus read a lot on the subject and I would have to agree all signs do seem to point in that direction. I also agree with what everyone else has said concerning diet namely eliminating first sugar, then starches/carbohydrates, then cheese. I recently started taking a chinese formula that has helped me a lot. It has strongly reduced my symptoms and has also helped me with my sugar cravings. It's called phellostatin by health concerns, I found it in the candida section of my health food store. Also a friend of mine who had a fungal infection told me he accidentally rubbed raw onion on it and it got rid of it in a couple days. It sounds like you're on the right track, keep at it and let us know how things turn out!
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 23:08

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for all the input!

I just bought the threelac and cell food.

I hope this helps, (fast). I wish the doctor would tell me what hell is going on with me. All he does is run the same damn blood test over and over. I just want to know for sure I had Candida, my eyes are really bad, with the blurry vision, eye floaters and light headed. I could live with the jock itch and thrush, Its just this crap in my head that gotta go. NOW!!!!!