Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Candida
Stats: 172/159/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default Questions about candida diet

I've been researching candida for quite a while now and am positive I have it. Over the past year, I've developed more and more symptoms and it's to the point where I have to acknowledge it and try to do something about it. It's not even about weight loss anymore, more so about general health. I just looked up the foods to avoid and I pretty much live off of all of them (with the exception of the breads, etc.). I am wondering how strict you have to be with eliminating vinegar and wine specifically. They are my two cooking staples and I'm not sure how to make dishes tasty if I can't even use a small amount. Any suggestions? Lemon juice perhaps? If I take a anti-fungal and limit these ingredients, is that enough? Or does it have to be all or nothing? I'm also very sad to see that mushrooms are off limits as well.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 09:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I think the Paleo diet is a winner. You might look into that.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 13:00
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the advice. After poking around the internet a little more, I stumbled across a website I found useful and wanted to share. http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/4966/

I think I'm going to try her plan and see what happens. It makes sense to me and I was excited to see that small amounts of vinegar can be eaten only when hot - that solves my cooking problem. I guess the wine was too much to ask for! hahaha!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 13:34

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

I cook with both wine and vinegar, but I make sure they really boil before I eat anything. I do love a wine reduction sauce!

I normally use white wine, Vermouth and Angostura bitters. I also ferment fruit juice myself sometimes, which is very cheap compared to buying wine! I don't use any of that fancy brewer's equipment and I don't buy yeast. A mason jar is all you need. Hmm, that reminds me - I have a jar of mead in the basement that I need to check on!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 13:43

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

For raw dishes, I use a lot of lemon juice. For some reason no one is interested in my mayonnaise dressing recipe, but I will keep posting the link. This is the most delicious salad dressing I have ever tasted - sometimes I eat it straight!

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=377849

I make beet kvass. Beet kvass is a sour Russian drink/condiment that you can use in salad dressing.

I also use kombucha sometimes. It does contain yeast, but many people actually think it helps with candida problems. When it gets very sour it tastes remarkably like apple cider vinegar. In fact, I just ran out of apple cider vinegar and poured some kombucha in the bottle to replace it!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 08:14
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to try out your salad dressing. I allready love a simple dressing made of lemon juice, olive oil and black pepper, so I think yours will taste great.