Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 06:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 256/214/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Does Yeast Stop Weight Loss? HELP!

I've been low carbing since October. I have just finished my fifth round of antibiotics for bronchitis/sinus. This time I was on 1000 mg Augmentin- two of them twice a day (4000 mg a day!). I did this for ten days and then got a vaginal yeast infection (of course.) I am treating that now.
Anyway, during all this yeast mess, my weight loss has stopped, two weeks now. Not a pound. I am watching my carbs, usually under 30, sometimes 30-40. I don't know what to do. Is it the yeast infection that stopped the weight loss?
A friend recommended I do like the rotation diet and have one high carb day and then go right back to low carb to break the plateau but I'm afraid to do that.
I need HELP.
Kathy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-08, 17:48

Plan: Schwarzbein/gluten free
Stats: 148/146/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

There's a website called
Knowthecause.com with Doug Kaufmann. He has a book on there called "What Makes Bread Rise" about yeast and weight gain/inability to lose. So according to him, if you are taking antibios for anything, you will probably cause the yeast to become inbalanced and gain weight....You probably need some antifungals now that you are off the antibios, and probiotics in addition to low carbing.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-08, 01:33

Plan: Ray Peat (not low-carb)
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamakathy
I've been low carbing since October. I have just finished my fifth round of antibiotics for bronchitis/sinus. This time I was on 1000 mg Augmentin- two of them twice a day (4000 mg a day!). I did this for ten days and then got a vaginal yeast infection (of course.) I am treating that now.
Anyway, during all this yeast mess, my weight loss has stopped, two weeks now. Not a pound. I am watching my carbs, usually under 30, sometimes 30-40. I don't know what to do. Is it the yeast infection that stopped the weight loss?
A friend recommended I do like the rotation diet and have one high carb day and then go right back to low carb to break the plateau but I'm afraid to do that.
I need HELP.
Kathy

I do believe that weight gain and candida are linked. I hope you have found a way to get rid of the candida. Too many antibiotics are a sure way to get a yeast infection. Have you tried coconut oil? Look on the web for info about this related to candida - a lot of people have had a lot of good experiences using coconut oil to get rid of yeast.

Hope you're doing better now.

amanda
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 12:02

Plan: anti-candida diet
Stats: 136/120/105 Female 61"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Kathy,

Yeast will definitely stop weight loss and even cause you to gain. Not sure how this applies to a vaginal yeast infection, if that's the only area where the yeast is overgrown. I've been fighting a systemic yeast overgrowth (started in the digestive tract) since I diagnosed myself in early 03. Medical doctors are trained to believe that only people with severely-compromised immune systems, such as HIV or cancer patients, can have a systemic yeast overgrowth, so curing oneself is basically a lot of research and trial and error. I did quite well for the first 18 months or so, then a new doctor prescribed an asthma inhaler when I mentioned I had some shortness of breath. Little known to me, yeast loves to feed on asthma meds and my weight loss came to a complete standstill. I got discouraged after a while with the diet and started plain old eating again, til recently I was referred to a lung doctor who prescribed asthma meds. That's when I learned about them feeding the yeast. Needless to say, all those meds went to the trash can immediately. I've gone back to my diet and have had amazing results in just a few weeks, even the breathing problem is clearing up. I'm about where I was when i started using the inhaler. A candida diet is basically low carb, but doesn't include much more than meat, vegetables; so it's pretty hard to maintain. If you were losing weight before the infection, I would think you probably don't have a yeast problem but you can do a google search for "candida symptoms" and determine that for yourself. Hopefully you don't, cause it's a "bitch" to get rid of, pardon my language.

Your post sort of jumped out at me cause I also live in Alabama, Bham area.
Good luck with your dieting.

Sherry
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-08, 17:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/241/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

I'm on antibiotics for acne (hoping my diet will help my skin clear too, no luck there yet) and have been long term. Vaginal yeast infections were occurring regularly and I found the the OTC treatments were becoming less and less effective - apparently your yeast adapts to it and can resist it.

OK so this next part might be kind of "oogy" but I wish I had known this earlier and saved myself from a lot of pain and a ton of money on OTC creams that no longer worked. For you poor ladies suffering from vaginal yeast infection - boric acid pessaries (vaginal suppository). Yes, sounds scary but it doesn't hurt and is totally safe - just don't eat it! Boric acid is poison if ingested. You can buy boric acid powder at the drug store, look under "eye care" then get some 00 gelatin capsules and fill with the powder. Insert one as far as you comfortably can with a finger before bed and one in the morning - wear a pad because you might produce a lot of fluid. If it is too irritating then do it once per day. Do this for 7-14 days to get rid of an active vaginal yeast infection, I usually see symptoms stop in 2 days but make sure you do it long enough to beat the population down. Because of the antibiotics, I use one at bed every 2 weeks just to keep things in check.

Alane