Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 18:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/124/105 Female 4'10"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Question Atkins/Candida Need help with dressing

I know this is the wrong forum, but I never see anyone posting on the other one. So, I'm hoping for a little help from the Atkins group.
I'm doing Atkins and have recently discovered that I have the yeast problem. UGH!
Anyway, I'm still sticking to Atkins but I'm clueless as to what I can put on my salads. I'm not suppose to have vinigar, mayo or cheese. That leaves out every dressing I can imagine. I also don't use tuna (I"m not a fish person).
Do you think it would be ok to just add other veggies to my diet instead of eating salads?

Any help would be deeply appreciated.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 21:05
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi ShadowTail,

I just did a search for you ("dressing," and confined it to this forum) and came up with several threads where dressing is mentioned. Most people just seem to use olive oil and lemon juice.
This post has several recipes for you.

BTW, I moved your post to the Candida Yeast & IBS forum for housekeeping reasons. You'll find that folk with candida do keep an eye on this forum.

HTH

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 05:57
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 11:48
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Lightbulb

hi there,

Here are some recipes from Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution Cook Book, specifically for Candida Yeast problems.

Enjoy!

Doreen

=================

Tomato Mayonnaise (without vinegar]

makes 20 Tablespoons

1 organic egg
1 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp seasoned salt
¼ tsp dried mustard
¾ cup olive oil
1 small ripe tomato, peeled and seeded
2 Tbsp fresh basil, minced (or 2 tsp dried flakes)

Place first 4 ingredients in a food processor and blend. Add oil in a slow steady stream until it is fully blended. Chop tomato pulp and add to food processor with the basil. Blend for 30 seconds.

TOTAL GRAMS 5.9 GRAMS PER TABLESPOON 0.3

Basic Vinegar-Free Salad Dressing

makes 16 Tablespoons

1 tsp seasoned salt
¼ tsp black pepper
1 tsp dry mustard
dash of cayenne (optional)
4 Tbsp lemon juice
2/3 cup olive oil

Blend all ingredients together. Refrigerate.

- add fresh or dried herbs and/or garlic, to taste.

TOTAL GRAMS 7.0 GRAMS PER TABLF5POON 0.5

Vinegar-Free Mayonnaise

makes 20 Tbsp

1 organic egg
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
½ tsp dry mustard
¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
1 cup olive oil

Blend first 4 ingredients. With blender running constantly, slowly dribble in the oil, a little at a time, until it's thick and creamy. It will become slightly thicker when refrigerated.

(*note - I add a dash of onion powder too)

TOTAL GRAMS 3.9 GRAMS PER TABLESPOON 0.2

Vinegar-Free Mustard

makes 2 tablespoons (I serving)

2 tablespoons Vinegar-Free Mayonnaise
¼ tsp dry mustard; increase as desired
dash sea salt

Blend together.

TOTAL GRAMS 0.5

======================
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 12:11
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you so much! I really appreciate these.
I do have a couple more questions if you would'nt mind.

1) Do I have to use organic eggs or will any egg do? lol

2) Is heavy cream still considered dairy? Am I able to use that? No problem if I can't, just looking for options.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 19:42
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by ShadowTail
1) Do I have to use organic eggs or will any egg do? lol
It's up to you and how badly you want to get rid of the Candida problem. Standard eggs come from hens that are routinely fed antibiotics -- not good for a Candida sufferer. The cage conditions are so crowded, and contamination is very common. In addition, the hens are typically fed a high-grain diet .. which results in egg yolks that have an high omega-6 content. It's more desirable to have a balanced omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. Organically-raised, free-run hens will not have been fed antibiotics. They will be fed some grains, yes, but also seeds and because they can run freely, they also eat grasses and leaves as well as insects and grubs. This produces a yolk with a natural balance of omega-6 to omega-3 fats.

True, a dozen organic eggs cost almost twice as much as regular eggs. But it's still less than one Big Mac

Quote:
2) Is heavy cream still considered dairy?
Yes, there's still a measurable quantity of lactose, and very often added dextrose in heavy cream. Plus, the milk proteins may trigger intolerance symptoms in Candida sufferers.

Silken tofu is an option you could try. It's typically sold in sterile tetra paks, so is free of molds and bacteria. It can be puréed into a creamy bland emulsion which you can add flavours to, and some stevia to sweeten. Blended with eggs and baked, it makes a pleasant custard. There's a recipe here ... Tofu-Egg Custard, dairy free

Also using silken tofu ... Tofu Sour Cream .. and Tofu Whipped Cream

hth,

Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 19:50
Registered Member

BF:

WOW! That is so interesting. ok, now where would I find organic eggs? Do they sell them at the regular grocery store or do I need to go to a health food store?

Boy, I really do learn something new everyday. I guess I'll never be able to look at an egg or chicken in the same way! lol

Thank you very much, I really do appreciate all of your help.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 20:45
Forum Founder

BF:

A health food or natural foods store for sure will have organic eggs, and silken tofu. But, more and more larger supermarkets are also carrying these products. You could phone your favourite grocery to ask if they carry those items. Chances are good that they do .. and if they don't, well you've saved yourself a trip

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-21-03, 20:53
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for letting me take up so much of your time! I will call tomarro.
Well, I guess I better quit asking sooo many questions before I start driving you crazy!
G'Night
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 04:04

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

If you leave the heavy cream container out overnight the fat will separate from the liquid (which is what contains the lactose). You can just spoon the *really* heavy cream into your coffee, but you must use it up pretty quickly as it doesn't keep as well as the fresh heavy cream will. (Or you can use the resultant creme de la creme into butter by pouring crushed ice into the container and shake it) The leftover liquid is true buttermilk, so throw it away or give it to someone who likes buttermilk--don't drink it, buttermilk is considered fermented. (Note, once the milkfat has begun to separate from the liquid be sure you do not shake the container. Let the milkfat sit on top of the liquid until you've used it up. Be sure to refrigerate it again after it's night of sitting out to separate.)
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 16:01

Stats: 137/109/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress:

I used egg whites and it didn't thicken up...think I need to use a whole egg?
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 08:25
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach/Candida
Stats: 172/159/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hopefully you've found a salad dressing that you like now, but I used to be on the Atkins plan and found that it was totally fine to substitute other low carb veggies instead of salads. I preferred cooked veggies and made lots of stirfrys, or just had them on the side with my proteins. I still lost weight doing that.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 15:44

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFCFVF
I used egg whites and it didn't thicken up...think I need to use a whole egg?

You MUST use the yolk! The egg white has nothing but protein in it, and it is a type of protein that is hard to digest and prone to cause allergies. The fat and cholesterol is in the yolk, which is why some people think the yolk is bad, but as you might see around here, many low-carbers think fat and cholesterol are not a problem. The yolk also contains lecithin, an emulsifier. It's the lecithin that makes mayonnaise work. Blender mayonnaise seems to work only when there are both whites and yolks, but if you make it with a whisk instead of a blender you only use the yolk.

There is a continuum of egg quality:

* Conventional eggs have all the problems listed above, plus they are most likely to have salmonella, which is why I would not use them for mayonnaise.

*Organic eggs are better, but all that really means is that the chickens are given organic feed - they can still be stacked up in cages, and I wouldn't rule out salmonella.

* Then comes "cage free" or "free range" eggs, which means the chickens have access to grass, but it doesn't actually mean they ever get to it. Many "cage free" chickens run around on the floor of a giant warehouse - there is a door to the outside with a small patch of grass, but the door is not opened until the chickens are older and set in their habits. If they did choose to go outside, it would be a disaster because there wouldn't be room for all of them.

* The very best eggs come from "pastured" chickens, who spend all day outside, and really do eat grass (and bugs).

* Then I guess there are chickens that you keep in your own backyard. If you don't have a lot of grass, this might not actually be better, but at least you know for sure where your eggs are coming from.

* There are also specialty eggs like Omega-3 eggs or fertilized eggs. These are most likely cage-free warehouse hens who are fed flaxmeal or have access to roosters.

Whole Foods or local health food stores will at least have cage free eggs, which I think is not so bad. The most likely place to find pastured eggs is at a farmer's market.

That's a great idea to make mustard from the mayonnaise. I should try that!