Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 12:26

Plan: WW Core
Stats: 244.5/232.5/160 Female 66"
BF:You noticed?!
Progress: 14%
Default Help IBS and confused!

I've been LCing it and recently have been on and off plan due to major stress at work. Within the past week I have been experiencing sharp pains in my lower abdomen, bloating, gas, diarhea, constipation, and pain during intercourse. I took Sunday off of LC but this whole last week I felt so nauseus and sick to my stomach - like I can't even stomach proteins. I get in 2 cups of salad as I stick mainly to proteins, except for the one day off plan.

It's not the induction flu (doesn't feel remotely close to what I experience) and I'm not pregnant (only have ovaries left). I have been diagnosed with IBS years ago but haven't had a flare up for ages. I don't know what to do, how to act, or what to eat. I just feel miserable.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have read through the posts and I am still confused on what I should do.

Thanks,
Mary
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 12:42

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Maybe it's candida die-off?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 12:52
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Since you are newly re-inducting, is there something 'new-ish' that you're eating, or eating more of? Something like cheese, or perhaps some kind of salad dressing that you don't normally eat a lot of?

Besides 'low-carb', what's different about what you're eating now, as compared to when you had some time off, and were feeling better?

I'm betting there's something in your food that's disagreeing with you, somehow.

My first suspect is increased dairy consumption, or some other commonly reactive kind of food.

The most commonly reactive foods are: gluten, dairy, eggs, sugar, corn, peanuts and soy.

Are you eating substantially any more of those particular foods as you're back on induction?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 14:56

Plan: Atkins, IF
Stats: 214/214/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Marycuth - I thought of yeast die-off when I read your post until you said 'pain during intercourse'. I have had past problems with ovarian cysts and that is the only thing that has ever caused pain during intercourse. I wouldn't ignore the problem if it doesn't resolve soon. And, having been diagnosed with IBS myself in the past before LC, I feel like the change of lifestyle resolved that issue so I would doubt that too. Hope this helps
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 22:51

Thanks for all of your help!

The only thing I can think of that I've done differently is I have increased the amount of eggs I'm eating. I eat about 2 boiled eggs a day or every other day and I've increase my mayo consumption. The salad dressing and cream has been the same since May. I don't eat corn, peanuts, or soy.

I wonder if things just got worse cause I went off plan on Sunday, but at the same time I had symptoms the week before - just not as bad.

I've never heard of candida die-off, I'll read up on that.

Steph - I didn't think about cysts to blame for that part of my hurting! I've had so many in my life and then had the hyst. to relieve so many other problems that I hadn't focused on that part of my life for years. I still have my ovaries so that could be a possibility - I think I'm going to have to visit the doc. for a check-up.

Do all of you follow extreme LC for IBS or are you moderate? Do certain things hurt you on LC? Sometimes I just feel like I can't stomach another piece of meat! I don't know what to do.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-08, 23:33

Just read up on Candida Die-Off and I believe I have found a winner! All of the symptoms sound like what I have been going through - I even tried the closing the valve trick and I hit the stabbing pain spot! That was so weird!

Now I need a plan to get this yeast out of my body and keep it out! I will start eliminating trigger foods. Any suggestions are welcome.

Any lc plans working specifically well for those of you who suffer from candida?

Will it hurt me more if I go to the health store and get a candida kit?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-08, 09:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Do certain things hurt you on LC? Sometimes I just feel like I can't stomach another piece of meat! I don't know what to do.
If you're feeling anorexic on LC it probably means you're eating too much protein. Try to eat more fat and non-starchy veggies, that should cure that issue.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-08, 19:57

Thanks Nancy! That was exactly it! As soon as I stopped eating so much protein I felt extremely better. I have recently changed plans because of this.

P.S. - I had to reread your post a few times because it made me laugh associating myself and anorexic in the same sentence!