Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 16:34

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Question Salad dressings

Some people say you can't have salad dressings made with vinegar if you want to get rid of the "yeastie bugs" .... and some provide recipes to make salad dressing with lemon juice in place of the vinegar. I don't have good luck making these dressings....I just can't handle the end result and/or flavors (I admit...I'm really picky about the flavor) and I guess I'd like to know if anyone BUYS vinegar-free dressings ... what are they and where do you find them?

I've seen Annie's Naturals in three vinegar-free flavors....artichoke parmesan (yuk), lemon chive (haven't tried yet..), and green garlic (this one is GOOD). I've also been to a nearby CostPlus World Market and found a Greek dressing that claims to have no vinegar...so I bought it...and will try it soon.

Any others? Please share.....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-08, 17:58

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

I like Paul Newman's Salad Dressings....

TJ
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 10:23

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Sorry you didn't like the lemon dressing. What did you try making it with? I find that I get the best flavor using tarama - the fish and lemon flavors blend together and the result is neither too fishy nor too lemony. Varying the amount of olive oil makes a big difference too. And if you use egg yolks, you definitely need to add salt. And you are using fresh lemon juice, right? But YMMV....

I have other reasons for not buying salad dressing - MSG, dairy, gluten, sugar, and other mystery ingredients and processing methods. In general I don't eat any packaged food unless I've called the manufacturer and checked the ingredients personally. I probably come off as some kind of home-cooking dictator... that's a natural result of being absolutely terrified of getting "glutened."

Last edited by capmikee : Wed, Jul-16-08 at 10:30.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/202/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 23%

Annie's Lemon Chive dressing is hands down the best store bought dressing I have ever had.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 10:34
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome

often times, i make my homemade mayonnaise with fresh lemons or limes, depending on price..
you can start your salad dressings with a mayonnaise base and then make it more creamier and thinner for salad dressings.

i usually make my mayonnaise first, and then about 3 days later, i take the last of it, and make it into a creamy salad dressing.
homemade mayonnaise keeps well for about 5-7 days in the fridge.

HTH
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-08, 20:42

BF:
Smile

I use my salad dressings for ... salads ...

I've tried making my own dressings...they never taste very good to me. I still haven't tried the Annie's Lemon Chive dressing...but I bought a bottle and will try it soon.

My last attempt at homemade mayo (with lemon juice in place of vinegar, of course) was runny and tasted dreadful...I don't always have time to experiment like I want due to lack of time (two jobs)....a great bottled dressing would be fabulous...The Annie's Green Garlic is currently unavailable from the distributor....

Anyone else??
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jul-28-08, 17:39

BF:

I tried Annie's Lemon Chive Dressing this week...and I didn't like it much for salads....it seemed too oily for my taste.

I'm still waiting for Annie's Green Garlic....nobody seems to know what's happening with the distributor.