Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-08, 21:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/241/170 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Candida Die Off?

So I have stalled on induction (not a long stall, it's only been a few days of no progress and after a rather disgraceful Thursday night party I'm expecting a reset period). But I was also considering some of the effects I have been experiencing on induction and my eating habits/medications from the last few years. So now I am wondering if I am dealing with systemic candida? I think I am - I used to binge on a lot of sugar (cookies, sour worms) plus I have been on antibiotics for acne for over 3 years and suffered from some vicious vaginal yeast infections regularly until I got that under control with boric acid. Mentally, I feel foggy all the time, I know that is a definite change from how I was 3 years ago - my memory used to be excellent, now I constantly space out, I find I can get pretty darn cranky these days too. I used to go through TOM ok, but the last 2 years the cramps are terrible. I always feel a little 'worn'. I want to take the spit test but I have to wait until tomorrow morning.

I was sick with some kind of flu/cold bug for 3 weeks that had me on the couch, tired to the bone and eating very little. Then that finally went away and I felt insanely energized, I would work in the garden from 10am to sundown swinging a pickaxe and hauling plants. After a few weeks my energy declined but I was still feeling adequately able, I was able to do moderate-strenuous calisthenics for 50 minutes on a regular basis. But with my weight still creeping up and regularly losing control with the sweets and goodies I decided to return to Atkins.

By induction day 5 I had headaches, no energy, weakness, no enthusiasm for anything just a severe case of the blahs that just didn't seem to want to go away. This is pretty unusual for me - I am pretty physical, can lift a fair amount easily and then all the sudden doing light resistance exercises was just too much.

Today, I still feel drained and foggy. I am working on my exercise program but my energy is really not where I had expected it to be at this point (start of week 3). I have had some improvement by taking a daily multi. I do find myself craving sweets but my daily coffee gets me through that.

So does this sound like candida? Am I experiencing die-off symptoms?

Thanks,
Alane
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jul-05-08, 23:18

Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaneHilo
So does this sound like candida? Am I experiencing die-off symptoms?

Thanks,
Alane

Hi Alane.....I would say absolutely that sounds like candida symptoms. Since you were on antibiotics so long, it's extremely likely you have an overgrowth.

Other symptoms you may experience due to a systemic yeast infection can be wide-ranging. Note that these symptoms are often caused by conditions other than systemic candidiasis. That said, many systemic yeast infection sufferers complain of the following symptoms:

Generalized Symptoms: Tiredness or fatigue, muscle aches, lethargy or feeling "run-down," headaches, dizziness, joint pain and swelling, hypoglycemia, shortness of breath.

Digestive Symptoms: Oral thrush, alternating diarrhea and constipation, digestive pain, rectal itching, inflammatory bowel disease, gas, food sensitivities.

Genital Symptoms: Vaginal yeast infection, menstrual problems, PMS, chronic urinary tract infections, painful sex, vaginal odor, impotence.

Dermatological (Skin) Symptoms: Chronic rashes, eczema, acne, hives, skin lesions.

Mental and Emotional Symptoms: Irritability, depression, memory problems, lowered self-esteem, insomnia, learning disability, short attention span.

A systemic yeast infection can also weaken your immune system, leaving you more vulnerable to other diseases. Symptoms may be suppressed with conventional drugs, but will likely recur until you treat the cause.

Systemic Yeast Infection

Here's another helpful site:
The Silent Epidemic

I've been trying to do a yeast free diet all year but it's very difficult and I'm developing food intolerances left & right from the candida. I've had to give up eggs, nuts & coconut oil. I was taking Candida Cleanse but it gave me horrible stomach cramps so I had to stop. It's difficult finding something I can fight the yeast with that doesn't make me sicker.

I have a doctor appointment next week and will pretty much demand he draw blood to check for candida overgrowth. Doctors just don't want to deal with it for some reason.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-08, 12:55

BF:

Thanks Leslie,

Wow, that's terrible the yeast is affecting you so severely! I hope your doc can help.

I wonder if doctors are loathe to touch it because conventional belief is it only affects people with compromised immune systems, plus rx treatment for fungus is so rough on the body. I've never been to a doctor that recommended vitamin/herbal remedies for anything but I believe we have a lot of help to be had from herbs.

Wow, that list describes me - tired, fatigued, unnaturally irritable, short attention, poor memory, painful breakouts, etc etc. I don't have many food sensitivities except garlic. Spit test was gross - got legs immediately.

After reading one of the posts in this forum outlining all the vitamins and herbs that help combat I started searching and came upon: http://www.fungusfocus.com/parasites/pproduct_guide.htm
I found the product guide very helpful.

Have you tried any of the remedies in separate doses instead of a pre-combined product? I ordered NOW Candida Clear yesterday (which has black walnut, olive leaf, OoO, Caprylic Acid, Pau D'Arco as the main items plus cat's claw.. but also garlic - I might not be able to tolerate it but I am going to give it a shot. If I can't tolerate it then I will take Pau D'Arco, Cat's Claw and Caprylic Acid and alternate with OoO and Olive Leaf. Plus echinaecea and a multi-dophilus to repopulate the good bacterias.

One thing I am wondering about the Candida Clear - since it has all of the products, should I still cycle with another yeast killer w/ different products every 2 weeks?

It might sound weird but I am kind of relieved - if my symptoms are all yeast, it explains a lot of the problems in the last few years and now I have hope that I might be able to stop taking antibiotics entirely if my skin clears up.

Alane
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 21:02

BF:

OK got my supplements in the mail yesterday and have started on the Candida Clear - so far, so good, no reaction to the garlic content (yay!). Having started on Oil of Oregano (drops) prior to their arrival I would say that my tongue is looking clearer... one should hope that horrid burning taste should be worth the effort! I'll try the spit test in a week.

I am taking:
---specifically for candida ---
Candida Clear - 2caps/2x day
Cat's Claw - 1 cap/ 2x day
Oil of Oregano - 4 drops/2x day
Jarro-Dophilus (bacteria) - 1 cap/3x per day
---other sups---
Echinacea tincture - 1 dropperful/2x day
Omega 3 acid complex - 1 pill/2x day
CoQ10 Activated B-Complex
Pantothenic Acid (B5) - 10 grams (divided into 3 dosages/day)
(mega dosing the B5 following a study where high B5 controlled sebaceous activity, eliminating acne, much like accutane but without the risks)
Cal-Citrate (D3 + Magnesium) - 1000 mg
C - 1000 mg
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-10-08, 21:17

Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

Let us know how it goes.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 19:18
Registered Member

Plan: all meat low starchy veg
Stats: 130/125/120 Male 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Did u get acne from candida?
Im nearly sure that my acnes are caused by candida...it seems to be recovering but i still have 3 acnes near my nose area....sighsss
I have been taking olive leaf and oregano oil for 3 days now
hope it work!!
please keep us posted on the NOW candida clear!!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-09-08, 14:42

BF:
Default Update

Well I did fine on NOW Candida Clear, no side-effects from the garlic and I have been feeling amazing! Within days of stopping the antibiotics and starting the supplements my energy shot through the roof and my whole emotional outlook has changed. No more mood swings, I don't feel so stressed out, brain fog - GONE! Very dramatic change.
Possible reasons for this:
direct side-effect of the antibiotic
B vitamin deficiency due to candida (it prevents proper absorption of B)

I have run out of the Candida Clear, so I am doing Olive leaf, Cat's Claw, Echinacea and Oil of Oregano right now and will start on Candida Clear in another week (cycling). Tongue looks good but I have yet to do the spit-test.. I will report.

As for my skin - it's looking better than it has in years, I have been taking 10g of B5 (pantothenic acid) + sugg. dose of a complete B vitamin daily but also following Daniel Kern's regimen with 2.5% benzoyl peroxide on my face (see http://acne.org - free information using OTC products, it helped me a lot!). I have a few small surface blemishes but no cystic acne and the lesions heal very fast. Come to think of it, I used to have little red dots on my arms (Keratosis Pilaris) - they are MUCH diminished and barely noticeable.

So, things have been great!

Alane
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 15:49

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

What's your reaction to garlic? I sometimes get stomach cramps and gas from eating raw garlic, but I'm pretty sure it's a die-off reaction. It's gotten a lot better and now I eat raw garlic all the time.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 12:37

BF:

Cooked or raw, garlic gives me horrible cramps, diarrhea and my body feels intensely hot. It has since I was a kid. I can handle a little but that's it. I suppose I could start experimenting to see if my tolerance has improved
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Aug-16-08, 21:22
Registered Member

Plan: all meat low starchy veg
Stats: 130/125/120 Male 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaneHilo
Cooked or raw, garlic gives me horrible cramps, diarrhea and my body feels intensely hot. It has since I was a kid. I can handle a little but that's it. I suppose I could start experimenting to see if my tolerance has improved

maybe u r intolerance to garlic~!
but when I eat raw garlic...I'll make sure I have food to chew it along with~
and u must eat raw garlic with plenty of food or it'll be too strong...