Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-14-07, 04:52

Plan: Plan 3
Stats: 176/176/170 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Critical Information for Chronic Candida Sufferers

Have some information that may help chronic candida sufferers.

I've suffered from candida for over 30 years. No matter what diet I was on or what supplements I took nothing helped. What compounded the problem is that after a while I would have a chronic pain in my lower right abdomen that would flare up anytime I took a product that was designed to get rid of candida! It also hurt intermittently based on different foods that I ate. Came to find out that the cause of this problem was a little discussed yet critical component to the human digestive system.

Recently I ran into a chiropractor at the local food co-op and we got to talking about candida. He said a lot of the chronic problems are caused by a weakened illeocecal valve which in many cases can be related to a hiatal hernia. Started treatment with him and once he started working on my gastrointestinal system the results are amazing. Feel better than I have in years and am very hopeful that candida can be whipped!! In particular it is really helping relieve constipation problems.

Once read that "disease can't grow in a flowing river". So it seems that having at least 1 if not 2 good bowel movements a day is critical to knock out candida.

Here's some info about ileocecal valve that I pasted from another website that provides a descriptive about the ileocecal valve involvement with candida:

Another way the yeast can become active is when your ileocecal valve is weakened. The ileocecal valve is located between your small-intestine and your large intestine. This valve is usually kept closed so that the food you've eaten stays in your small intestine long enough to be digested and absorbed fully. It also prevents the good microorganisms in your large intestine from getting into your small intestine, where their waste products could easily be absorbed. As digestion and absorption are completed in your small intestine, your ileoceeal valve opens, and the food that hasn't been digested and absorbed passes into your large intestine.

When your ileoceeal valve is weakened, it doesn't function properly, and the yeast and bacteria that live in the large intestine get through the valve and up into your small intestine--where they're not supposed to be--and become "bad guys." The alkaline pH of the small intestine allows the yeast to multiply vigorously, causing havoc to your system (see "Bad Times" below). As you can guess, when any of these things happen, it can lead to numerous health problems.

I'm going to post more information and specifics about my treatment and experiences regarding the hiatal hernia/ileocecal valve treatment that I've received when more time allows. Hope this information helps you! If you have any questions or have any experiences or information that would help us, please join in.

Last edited by MrHoops : Tue, Aug-14-07 at 05:14.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-07, 10:59

Plan: modified Atkins
Stats: 215/150/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 81%

Thanks; this is really interesting. I wonder if I may be dealing with a similar issue, as it seems that candida recurs really easily in my system. I'd be really interested in seeing an update on your results since you posted this.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-08-07, 16:17

Plan: candida wipe out plan
Stats: 130/115/120 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 150%

Yes, I have haeard about this. I have wanted to look into this. My question is and which is a question for a lot of people is....how do we look for a doctor that knows about this. Could your chiropractor give us a guide on what to ask another chiropractor if they know how to look for and treat this or is this a 'general' thing all chiropractors know. The hardest thing in all of this is getting competent people to help us. I too have constipation problems....even on the diet, yeast killing meds and probiotics.....I have lots of trouble and I KNOW you have to move the toxins in the bowels out to feel better.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-07, 13:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/120 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 56%

hmm... do you have a coated tongue all the time when you have candida?? I no longer have an ileocecal valve, they took it out along with a portion of my small intestines and large intestines years ago. I brush my tongue twice a day and drink a small amount of cranberry juice before bed every night. This seems to really help and keep it in check. But if I miss one day on doing wither of these things...bam,,big white coated tongue.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-08, 01:35

Stats: 352/307/165 Female 5'11"
BF:55/45/25
Progress: 24%

Well thats really interesting - my candida showed up 20 years ago (and has never left) (Doctors advice - you're fat, your immune system's impaired, just live with it!!!!) the same year my hiatus hernia did. Prior to that I never had any sign of it (despite it being common amongst most of my friends).
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-08, 05:36

BF:
Progress:
Default Follow Up

Apologies for not responding sooner.

Here's what I've experienced while treating my ileocecal valve: My overall health has improved significantly. It really feels like my gut is "sealed up". Overall the holidays I fell off my anti-candida diet significantly but never fell as sick as in the past. Before I'd eat a piece of chocolate and get real lightheaded, almost dizzy. Not now.

When I went back on the candida diet I had no "die off" symptoms! NONE! In the past I'd always go through a few days of being spaced out and listless but not this time. Again, almost like my gut is "sealed".

There is an inexpensive book I've found on Amazon that is very good for treating ileocecal dysfunction. It will show you where the valve is located, how to massage it, and pressure points in the body that will relieve your symptoms. The massage is very helpful as it will assist in helping you have bowel movements.

I'd highly recommend anybody with candida and many other illness to actively research the ileocecal valve as a possible solution to their disease and physical problems.

Here's the link to the book on Amazon that I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0741426854
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-08, 04:06

Thanks for that - I'll check it out!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-06-08, 05:39

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiaKaha
Well thats really interesting - my candida showed up 20 years ago (and has never left) (Doctors advice - you're fat, your immune system's impaired, just live with it!!!!) the same year my hiatus hernia did. Prior to that I never had any sign of it (despite it being common amongst most of my friends).

Kia, when I first read your post I missed that you have a hiatal hernia too. Hiatal hernia and ileocecal valve dysfunction are interrelated. If you have problem with 1 you almost certainly have problem with the other. So your chances of having ICV dysfunction are very, very, high. I also have hiatal hernia problems.

When the chiropractor first started adjusting me for hiatal hernia and ICV it felt incredible!

There's foods you have to stay away from with ICV dysfunction like anything short or coarse; popcorn, chips, spicy food, etc. Lot of things irritate it including cleaning solutions, chemicals, etc. I've come to the realization that the mercury fillings in my teeth are the underlying problem.

Your body develops an allergic reaction to it in addition to mercury also being very toxic. So your ICV is irritated all the time and any little thing then pushes it over the edge. The irritated and weak ICV then continuously feeds your candida. You have no chance of overcoming the candida no matter how much your starve yourself or what supplements you take. Then your body eventually becomes allergic to everything.

When I started treating the ICV and particularly after buying the book a lot of my allergy symptoms dissipated and I feel so much better.

Coincidentally I have a dental appointment today to commence the removal of my mercury fillings. I'm like 99% certain that is my underlying problem. There's an excellent forum related to mercury amalgam removal where a lot of people also have candida and other problems that they are treating that may be beneficial for you. A lot of them are getting relief from their candida and other health problems by having the mercury removed from their mouth: www.herballure.com
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-09-08, 21:27

Well that explains the chronic incurable candida - I have to say low carbing hasnt improved it although stopping prilosec (which means eating carefully) has helped a little.

I will mention the ICV to my osteo the next time I go. My sister had all the mercury in her teeth removed and she says it reduced the migraines she has had all her life.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-11-08, 19:34

Plan: Mostly carnivory
Stats: 145/145/145 Male 5'11'' (feet and inches)
BF:
Progress: -20%

Ileocecal valve malfunction is a result of candida overgrowth because it has built up around the valve and is the primary cause of its malfunction.

Quote:
No matter what diet I was on or what supplements I took nothing helped. What compounded the problem is that after a while I would have a chronic pain in my lower right abdomen that would flare up anytime I took a product that was designed to get rid of candida!
The reason you experienced the pain in you lower right abdomen when consuming antifungal items is because you were experiencing die-off reactions and they were helping to eradicate the yeast overgrowth around your ileocecal valve. The connector of the small and large intestines is usually plagued with high levels of yeast in someone with a candida overgrowth.

The fact that you experienced such symptoms while taking things that were helping to erradicate yeast overgrowth is a sure indicator that candida has in fact overgrown and inhabited your ileocecal valve. The fact that it compounded the problem should not be seen as a negative, but as a positive, as it is a healing reaction, and that you are succeeding in removing the yeast overgrowth from your body, especially your ileocecal valve.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 07:01

Plan: candida diet (moderate)
Stats: 140/138/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default How to close ICV manually

Hi. I joined this forum just so I could respond here. Years ago (way too many to count) when I was a senior in college a chiropractor/kinesthesiologist helped me beat candida. It took 2 weeks of a strict diet and daily adjustments. There were 2 supplements I'm not sure I remember which. But he also showed me how to manually close my ICV and that helped a bunch! To find it, put your right hand on your right hip bone and your left on your navel. Find the point halfway between and with both hands (one on the other) press down HARD. It will just feel like mush at first but have faith. You need to hold it for a full minute (I count to 60 slow). If you are successful you'll soon feel like burping, farting, or more .

An open valve means all your muscles are feeling weak, so holding the valve closed is not easy to do. Breathe deep and relax. I can now feel the valve start to close because my hands start sinking in to my belly further. You need to be reclined to be able to get deep enough.

I hope this helps bring some relief to others. I feel very lucky to have stumbled upon this doctor long ago. I'm struggling with candida and sugar sensitivity now and self-diagnosing is rough.

Good luck everyone!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 12:06

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Thanks to MrHoops for posting this last year. Wifey printed it out for me a couple months ago.

Yesterday I went to Wifey's chiropractor for a consult. I told him about this thread and he got really excited. He said he studied with a guy who did this treatment, but he'd never had a chance to try it.

He had me lie on my back and hold my left hand up, while he held it in place. He told me to press my hand backward while he poked around the right side of my abdomen. This is a kinesiology test, right? When he found the ileocecal valve he told me where it was and I was like, "Yeah! That's exactly where I used to have intense pain all the time!"

Right afterwards I had a drink from the smoothie place - about 1/2 cup of cranberries, blueberries and blackberries with ice and water in the blender. It was very thin, but pretty tasty. But then I got a lot of gas. I don't know if the smoothie was related or if it was just the treatment. Soon after that, I started getting pain on my LEFT side, just under my ribcage. I've still got it today. Any idea what that would be? Constipation? I've got that too...

By the way, we recently watched the movie "Flirting with Disaster." It was really funny, and on top of that there's a scene where Lily Tomlin complains about her ileocecal valve to try to avoid getting arrested!