Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#961   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 15:58

Plan: General LC
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz66
Leeann- I have 4 pound bag in my freezer of drumletts. I could make them tomorrow. Do you think the baking powder made them crispy? Mine are just a plain bag from Krogers. Were your frozen or thawed?
I will need to pull them out today then.

Yes, the baking powder makes them crispy! You would thnk they were breaded. Very good. I bought the frozen ones (probably just like what you have) so thaw them, then pat them dry before proceeding.

No I had not thought about the airbnb type option. Can you give me a link or more info in my email?
THANKS

Sure, simply go to airbnb . com and search the areas you are interested in. If you are going to rent a room at a hotel then you may as well get a little more space for less money, plus a homelike environment with a yard would probably be better for Bella than a hotel would be. Check out VRBO or Homeaway as well- same site. I use both airbnb and vrbo. In fact, DD and I will likely use airbnb for our trip to the Philadelphia area in February. Same price to rent a two bedroom place with full kitchen and places to relax than to get a single hotel room to share!
Sponsored Links
  #962   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 16:28

Plan: KETOVORE
Stats: 234/179/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Thanks Leeann- !
  #963   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 17:29

Plan: My own
Stats: 238/187/175 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Jaz---Great quote! I copied and pasted and now have it on my desktop---one click away from reminding me what a great way this is to frame our struggles.

Congrats on the $50 win. My hubby plays the low cost lotteries and does really well w/them. Nothing huge, but often enough wins anywhere from $50 to $100. Once he won $10,000!

Your stuffed pepper recipe looks very good, except I hate Green Peppers. One of the few things I don't like when it comes to food. Just find their flavor so bossy. I do like red yellow and orange bell peppers, although they sure do soak you for those. Suppose this would be just as good w/one of those?

hey, just thinking about that gap between finding your place and being able to move in. I'm sure you've already thought of this, but I will throw it out there anyway. Could you possibly live w/your mother during this gap? I know the downside, but it could possibly be for just a month or two. Sure would save you some big bucks.

And oh yeah, the meeting blabberettes!!! The worst. Always looking for brownie points and going on and on when a sentence or two would do. If you ever want to take on another contribution to your company, propose an end of EVERY meeting evaluation that all in the meeting are included in. I have participated in this process many times and it REALLY REALLY makes meetings better and more efficient, as just for instance, a time limit is set on every meeting, and one of the evaluation metrics is did we stick to our time goal. You give yourselves a rating on several things, but it only takes about 5 minutes. Well worth it. If you want to hear more on this, e me, and I'll give you a good site to show how it's done. This could put a feather in your cap when people see how well it works.

Trig---So interesting to read/see how folks who live off the grid do it. Had to laugh on that "a chainsaw is on it's way to a mortgage" comment. I could not live quite that minimally, but I admire the thinking behind it, and am increasingly looking for the parts of it that fit for us.

So glad you have San Antonio to look forward to, AND with your spiffed up RV, all the comforts of home with a lot less hassle. Heck, once the kiddo is in college, you and the pork chop could just be gypsies in the RV---stay somewhere close to her college when you want to, and otherwise go wherever you want when you want.

Nic---THANKS for sharing that chicken wing recipe. Really appreciate it. Sounds delishmo. Passing it on to hubby who makes great wings on the grill, but this will be an excellent thing to try for this time of the year.

On the scrambled eggs---I had to smile, as the slow cook is how my mom always made them, and they were so buttery and creamy and good! I don't make them often, but when I do this is the way I do it. I make them more in the summer as I love them w/fresh sliced tomatoes. But your post made my mouth water for some, so I think that's coming up soon on my menu. Also, folding shredded cheese into them is yummy.

My Brother and SIL have a Sous Vide and I've sampled several meats from it. Excellent.

Lori---Are you struggling with the woe these days? Just curious how and why if so. Sure been there, pal.

K-mom---Haha, I googled bit coin investment, just because it interested me and now bitcoin hooks show up whoever I go on the net. No problem, although not as pretty as the clothing cookie chasers. What I did read was just too complex for me, and not that we have much fun money to invest right now anyway.

Friday water: 3/3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a pretty productive day. Cut our cable bill down over a hundred dollars. Did some phone networking,---another possible project or two coming in. Began researching lower home insurance options, caught up to e-mails to friends I've been remiss in responding to, and paid all our bills.

OMG gals, big life changes take a lot of work. Wish I had K-mom next to me to make the perfect chart. So many calls to make, details to attend to. Keep crossing things off my list, but it just keeps growing out the bottom at twice the rate I can cross off the top.

On plan. Nic you're right about frozen pizzas, not much to scrape. But we get one that's extra cheese and sausage that's not to bad. Do confess to eating the thin crust on on piece. But I'm OK w/that as it was pretty much all I ate yesterday and still kept my carbs around 25.

Today I had a shake, and some granola w/a splash of milk and berries. Chicken Tortilla soup for dinner. The granola really bites into my hunger, so this should be plenty.

Oh, and one more thing, I'm a great aunt for the second time. My nephew and wife have a beautiful new daughter---Lilliana. So happy for them, wish they lived closer, as I really adore this nephew, and his wife is great too.
  #964   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 17:59

BF:

Ok I had to google Sous Vide- You would think I would have heard of it before now. I thought it was another SPICE....HAHAHA

So my fear is cooking in plastic? Leeann- so it this a new kitchen gadget for you. does plastic bother you?
  #965   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-18, 18:25

BF:

Trig, I hadn't even realized you had posted (we cross posted) until I saw something Blue wrote to you and was like 'what?!'

Sorry you are suffering with the sinus stuff. We have the same weather pattern coming after a very warm and rainy day today. Apparently snow showers tomorrow? WTH??

So I am totally curious and going to bite- how would you live if you had no baggage? What would your ideal life look like? Paint me a picture with words!

Blue- Aw, it made me happy to picture your Mom making you eggs like that. I hope you make them soon and it makes you happy. My Mom would on occasion make me something called "shirred eggs" which, let it be noted, are totally low carb. That was one of the only ways I would eat eggs!

Saving 100 bucks a month is great! Way to go! I really need to make that call also. We pay way too much. OH! And Liliana is Italian for Leeann. I like that name! Congratulations Great Auntie!

Jaz- While I am not pro- cooking in plastic, using the sous vide is using food grade plastic at a low temperature, not at a high temperature. This is supposed to be safe to do and apparently has been done for decades. The high heat involved in searing afterward is done in a pan (in my case, cast iron.)

Thank you for the recipe! I agree with Blue about green peppers being "bossy" (lol) but I can see doing it with a more mild flavored one, or even making the filling and putting in a zucchini boat or something.
  #966   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 07:35

Plan: LC calorie counting
Stats: 223/157.8/145 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Good Morning from snowy, icy Pennsylvania! I could hear the sleet/freezing rain hitting our windows all night long and we are encased in ice this morning. What a mess! Luckily, I don't have anywhere I have to go today.

Last night we went to our favorite little restaurant where I had scallops wrapped in bacon & a few bites of DH's filet mignon. I also had panko crusted asparagus, which was so, so good. That was my only non-LC thing yesterday. I avoided the lovely looking warm rolls that were brought to the table.

Blue, you asked if I am struggling with this WOE. I guess I am...to a degree. I am maintaining, but having too many treats. I will be LC all day and then blow it.....big time. The thing that is "getting" to me right now is ice cream. That has been a problem for the past several months. I have become addicted to Ben & Jerry's salted caramel core ice cream and can easily sit and eat a whole pint in 1 sitting. I am fairly disgusted with myself. I will go a week or so and not eat any and then I'll give in and go buy 2 pints and I will eat them on consecutive days. WTH is wrong with me?? Sigh.....

Anyway, I have been lucky not to gain weight, but my luck is bound to run out soon. I am going to start regularly testing my blood glucose & blood ketones and use that as incentive to keep the carbs/sugar down so I get the numbers I want to see. Plus I have that pesky 10k to train for in the next couple months.

Thanks for listening to my confession. I have been avoiding typing it out here....hope it is not a trigger for anyone else. I don't think it will be as you all seem to have better control over yourselves than I do at the moment. Just taking it a day at a time here.

Ok gals, have a good Saturday!
  #967   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 08:13

Plan: Zero Carb!
Stats: 234/182/170 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 81%

Lori, good heavens if I am going off the rails ice cream would be one of my absolute top contenders!! I am an ice cream freak. I have not lost my desire for it at all I don't allow it in the house anymore, well, the kind I love and will in inhale. I get things they like and I don't, which works. But if my ice cream were to come into this house, wow, it would be over in a flash and I would be on it like white on rice also. I walk by and see Phish Food or chocolate Moose Tracks and I die literally inside, I SO want to buy it but won't LOL

You are allowing it cause you are not gaining but ya will. Ya know ya will It is a matter of time only and thing is I know ya got it in ya to get back on that right track for sure. JUST DON'T BUY IT. Give it all your gumption to walk past that ice cream coolers and don't look back Use that 10K as your motivation. That 10k is coming soon and you gotta start alot of real training and you need that body in high caliber to tackle it, plus it is in another country to boot You absolutely will get that back under control, I have no doubt you are phasing thru it and will ditch it sooner than later

Nicco I am not one to go off the grid! I like my electricity and pool and more LOL...what I like is the concept and simplicity and there are a ton of ways I would add at into my life. My kinda no baggage top contender would be no home. Travel light and free in the RV. Set down home wherever and whenever I want kinda thing. I have been looking at new homes in my area (have to stay in certain area for kiddo cause of her school etc) but nothing is drawing me. I don't need the house and 5 acres, that was for my horses, so if my horses are gone I don't really need this land maintenance anymore. Small home on a acre is great but hubby won't get 'squished' next to another home so I can't kinda find anything worth bothering to move into for like 7 yrs til kiddo hits college. My baggage for me I guess if having being stuck in this home and maintaining it all while all I want to do is hit the open road and not look back! I can live in an RV easily, I only require a 'little stuff', I don't want closets full of stuff anymore

And $53 is good for the Y. I googled mine and it was $70 for me only. Why are you so much cheaper than me? LOL

Blue, your hubby won $10K one time. SO VERY COOL, I would love that. I bet I funded it ya know That is probably what I have spent over the years on lottery trying to win anything

Lilliana is such a cute name and Leeann, it is a version of your name....so wild!!!

And ya cut off $100 a month from the cable! Now that is wonderful.

Hey all
kinda do nothing day
sunny and nice and sinus head crazy has lifted along with the storm clouds so that his nice

have to hit grocery. Kiddo wants ice cream and I fainted inside a little but she wants strawberry!! Hooray, I despise strawberry and won't even give it a thought it is in the freezer!

and I don't want to go. It is 9. Up early and should have left and been back by now but I just do not want to even go.....when will I go today? I have no idea, I might not HA HA. Might just run down to the little store on the corner, get her strawberry ice ceam and come home and leave the shopping for another day.

I am in the mood to not go to the grocery anymore, so I will probably just fudge thru today at the little corner store and be home in a flash.

What does everyone spend per month kinda on grocery? I know we are all different in family size for sure, but just curious how much bucks are flying out the window for us all. Family size will change it so much for each of us, no doubt about that. I am about $5-600 a month on food. 3 of us only. Somehow I find that 'too much' but in a way it is not cause I am finding it hard to cut that cost down. Even if my meats/seafood is on sale it adds up so darn fast either way if I hit sales or not LOL

oh well...off to decide what I am doing today and if I am even gonna move much

great day all
  #968   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 12:13

BF:

OMG.....thank you Nic!!!

Thanks to your post about eggs, I looked up a recipe for "Shirred Eggs" I have heard of them, but never had, or made them. Where have they been all my life??? I just finished my first, but certainly not last, ramekin of shirred eggs.

It could not be easier! I have some little 6 oz ramekins which were perfect.

2 tsp of butter melted in the ramekin and spread up the sides etc.
2 TB of heavy cream
2 eggs
Salt & pepper

I baked them at 350 for 12 minutes and then added some crumbled bacon and a few shreds of Cooper cheese. Back in the oven for 5 minutes. It was so good I couldn't wait till it cooled and have burned my mouth. Totally worth it!!

Thanks again for a new a delicious way to eat more eggs. Yum!
  #969   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 14:54

BF:

Wow all this ice cream talk!

Lori, I can commiserate. I can ignore a lot of ice cream (we have a bunch of whatever in the freezer) but I absolutely love a locally made key lime pie ice cream and I could not let that alone for a while. And of course cereal, my stupid downfall. I think I finally overkilled it for a while. I am finally out of an extended period of cravings last year, at least for now, and I am really grateful for that.

Trig- Your wanting less baggage, less stuff, less unnecessary land and such to take care of makes perfect sense to me. It will come but not as quickly as you would like!

Hmm, grocery bills.. I honestly have no idea. Does that include things like paper towels, toilet paper and dog food? If not, then obviously the costs would drop. I'd say I probably spend more or less what you quoted.

•••••••••••••••

The sous vide steaks went well yesterday. I do need to work on my searing- to not sear too long. But otherwise it was a success.

Went to the Y yesterday and today, but won't go tomorrow.

Tomorrow we have the dinner theater but we are going for Brunch instead, and to see Young Frankenstein.

DS19 had a sleepover last night and DS16 is having a sleepover tonight, both here.

I know there was more I wanted to share but good enough for now!

oh, and on track still, day 13.
  #970   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 17:01

BF:
Progress:

Hi all,

Trigger---For years we went to the air show in Osh Kosh WI. It's the grandaddy of all air shows---not that I give a fig about planes, but hubby is a plane nut. So we'd always camp w/the same group every year. One couple was living your dream. Owned no home, only an AMAZING RV set up. They could roll in and be set up in no time, complete w/screened in porch and big outdoor rug. Man, they had it all figured out to their tastes. Had places they parked themselves for months, then off to see the world again, or visit their kids. Happy as two peas in a pod those two. I wish this for you, and you're still young, plenty of time to start the new life when kiddo goes to college. This couple was in their late seventies!

Not sure what we spend a month, as hubby does most of the shopping. I used to do more LC shopping myself, spending maybe $150 a month, but I've cut that way back. I don't need to buy stuff to put in the freezer unless it's a special sale price. Doing the "European" way of LC shopping these days. Buying just what I need for the next few days---heck we have a grocery store that's practically in our back yard. Finding I'm spending and wasting less.

But I would say that hubby, king of the coupon clippers probably spends about $350 to $400 a month for the two of us.

Jaz---How are your days off going? Any new real estate scoops?

Nic---Thanks so much for mentioning the shirred eggs, which I'd never heard of, which in turn set Lori to finding and sharing an excellent recipe for them, which I will so be making soon!

Bravo on 13 days on plan. Trig mentioned a phrase I like, even though she doesn't do it "phasing in and out" of our stringency on our woe. I could tell in the latter half of year that you were in a different "phase" than you are now. You never let go totally, hopped on and off the wagon, but were not as K-mom would say "CapD." Now you are. I feel the same way, like last few months of last year I was just sliding down a mud hill and crawling back up, only to slide again. Something about the new year I guess, or the phases of the moon or what the freak ever. But I'm glad for both of us that we're out of the mud! For now.

Lori---And thank you for sharing the shirred eggs recipe! That made my mouth water. I go on and off with eggs, so this will be a fun way to get back on---with the cheese and crunchy bacon. YUM.

K-mom---Is SD w/you this weekend? If so hope you two are having your usual fine time, and that you are squeezing in some moments of rest.

Saturday water: 3/3

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So today I ordered some salted caramel protein powder. The shake thing is working really well for me. One or two, and then one meal, dinner. Can't believe how much it corrals any hunger!

Haven't gotten on the scale yet because why spoil a party, but I've got that "thinner" feeling in my clothes and just generally. NO bloaty.

Out to eat w/a pal tonight. We're going to a very reasonable burger place that just happens to have GREAT salads, 8 different kinds of them. Haven't had a salad in weeks which is odd for me, so looking forward to it tonight.

ON PLAN.
  #971   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 17:43

BF:
Progress:

I'm back, all dressed and ready to be picked up with a half hour to go. Thought of a couple other things I wanted to mention.

The ice cream thing---not my downfall, although I sure am enjoying these protein shakes, which get just creamy and thick enough for me. Did have some fantastic salted caramel gelato in SF---which came drizzled w/olive oil. Had never tried that, and counter-intuitively it was fantastic. Hence the salted caramel protein powder. This and coffee ice cream are the only kind of ice cream that ever calls to me, and then never more than a scoop. I won't buy ice cream cones because they're so dang expensive these days and the way overload, even if you order just one scoop, is way too much for me.

Thankfully you can't just pull French fries out of the freezer or cupboard and eat them, or I'd be in big trouble!

Also, I started a little notebook today---one of those pretty little books with blank pages in them that someone gave me and I never had a use for---listing every way I've found to save money. It's actually fun every time I add something new. I'm like Ms. Eagle Eye on every dime out there right now.

Today I ran out of my Oil of Olay regenerist moisturizer and thought, have to pick some up when I go to pick up a prescription tomorrow. And then I thought, wait, this stuff is $20 for a relatively small bottle. Just been using it mindlessly for a long time.

So I got on the google machine and googled best discount moisturizers and found St. Ives Timeless collagen skin moisturizer for 5.49 on my prime, so no shipping cost. It's a bit old tub that will last forever and was rated #3 out of 10 by Allure Mag as a great bargain. Reviews on Amazon are almost 5 star. Don't really think there's that much difference in all this stuff, excepting those w/sensitive skin issues, but they sure can charge you for the packaging and brand advertising. I just need something to soften the winter dry and allow my make up to go on easier.

It's silly how happy this made me. Added it to my little notebook and turned my big old periscope eye towards finding the next thing that's going to get slashed, LOL.

It's a challenge and I can use one! OK, I'm off for the night. Hope you're all having a good Saturday evening.
  #972   ^
Old Sat, Jan-13-18, 18:17

BF:

Hey all! Sunny and windy and COLD! OMG I am over the cold.

But LORI- you take the prize with being incased in ice! My son called from Ohio and said he got 4-5 inches over 1 inch of ice and his car is a ice block. Ohio is not going anywhere, top that with it is not supposed to get over the freezing 32- until next weekend. So it it there to stay.

So I hear what you said about your ice cream issues. I know you said you haven't gained on the scale. However your comment about an intertube around your middle was telling. I think the reason you have not blown up is the fact you are still so active. Are you still doing bootcamp? I heard about one class that kicked your behind and then wasn't sure if you are still going back.

I will tell you - TRIG is right. Just don't buy it. I know how simple that sounds. Just don't sounds easy enough, but sugar IS addicting. Addictions are hard to break.
Recall my issues with dairy. I KNOW without a doubt it will inflame me with GI issues with bloating. But it has taken GREAT restraint to not eat it. SO I know how hard it is to just say no. Is sounds simple- in the head- but something in you is screaming for it.

At some point you just gotta say no- or be ok with a loss stall or even gain. I like the idea of setting your sights on your 10k! I know you will want your body in full can do mode! Not a slug just making it through.
I find that when I am struggling - success videos help the mindset.

And you SHOULD write about your struggles here. That is WHAT this thread is for! We are all big girls. It would be different if you can on here and were saying oh ya ya'll eat whatever. That is not what you are saying. We all struggle with something.

You know for me - Pizza is my trigger food. The funny thing is when Blue and Kmom were going back and forth with the pizza talk- MEH! It didn't bother me in the least. Blue even said it didn't taste as good as she thought. So long story short- please feel free to come here INSTEAD of ice-cream.

I am sure your have seen my posts sometimes! - remember these:
Hey gals I am here because I want to .......... fill in the blank. I want accountability.
Ok- I know will you get a handle on this. It doesn't help we all have been inside undated under covers and think Spring is never coming. Winter blahs!
Would you feel the same way if you had golf the next day, and it was warm out? Birds and sun and flowers and the lightness of Spring?!
I will slowly butt outta your business now! HAHAHAHAHA

Trig- I love your idea of simplicity. That has always been a dream of mine- RV'ing for a year or two! I could so do that. I would want a state of the art RV. You know the ones that cost as much as a house- just on wheels and mobile! We are more alike than you know!
I have had the gypsy lifestyle for the last 8 years. I am ready to settle while I am doing what I need for right now.
But I do have the go on the open road- mindset. No destination in mind. Just would like to not go alone. Sorta scary as a single female to do that. I do alot of that myself anyway- but on the road and in a campsite, not so much.

I love the fact you are putting the plan though at some point to make that happen! I can see the kiddo going to a fun collage and loving that lifestyle while your and the pork chop send postcards!

BTW- had your pot roast for dinner!

Blue- So I am gathering you are planning on staying put and just cutting the budget for awhile? Maybe I was reading that wrong. I was trying to read between the lines. Cutting extra spending is good no matter what.
So the hubby won 10,000 once!!!!!!! I bet her was floored. I know me reaction to 50 bucks- my eyes just kept getting bigger and bigger. I don't know what I would do if I scratched off 10 grand! HOLY COW! I know what I would DO with it after the initial reaction wore off. Down payment for me right now- but dang that would be a huge relief!
So how much does he play? I am a big spender of less than 5 bucks a month- IF I remember. It is more of an after thought for me.
What does your upcoming week look like?

Leeann- I am really interested in hearing about your new kitchen gadget. It does sound like more work than I would want to put into something. Then I would worry if it was cooked enough on the inside to kill off "bugs"- in meat. I need to goggle it more!
So glad though you love it! I heard about your IP for months before I finally got one myself and love it!

I am also going to to look up Shirred Eggs! I wonder if it is off limits due to dairy. But I read I can get something similar with just low and slow, I think BLUE wrote that.

Cool beans on joining the Y. I remember a post you wrote to me awhile back. You encouraged me to get off my butt even at this size and go to the way. You also said that was key to you dropping all your weight that got you to goal. (of course LC!)- But you said you were at the top of your weight when you started going- but went anyway!
So cool you are going back to what you know works.
I need to dig out that post and do the same. But you have this huge goal now, with a deadline! Very motivating! I hear it in your posts!

Kmom- I am thinking the SD is with you now! I know she is very active and takes lots of energy! Hope you are feeling better and your back is improving.
Did you get your treadmill yet?
--------------------------------------------------------------
I am definitely going to get the writers itch outta me with all this writing I am having to do!

I wrote 1 of 2 discussion posts for the upcoming week. They are not as much fun to write as there are perimeters and expectations in the style and all content, and citations. Does this ring a bell for anyone? OMG I hate APA, but I knew going into it it would be a challenge.

I also gave love to my car by getting an oil change and upgrading to a synthetic oil. It is twice as expensive but I plan to keep this car until it falls apart. I only have 44,000 miles on it. It leased it new in 2013 and switched it to a buy in 2015- and will have it paid off this year. I think that will be good. I put all new tires on it as well. So it should be good for another few though thousand miles.

Two things more before I forget:
Leeann- THANK YOU- for the Airbnb. I spent some time on that site in the event I need a few weeks to land until I find/ and or move in to a new spot. That will so work so much better than a hotel. Add the safety factor priceless!!!!! There are a few spots near my work too!

Blue- I was also thinking of you and your situation as I was flipping through these home with "rooms" to rent. Have you ever thought about renting out space in your home? Most of these places have a 30 day min. and start at 1500- 1800 and higher. Just a thought for you. They also have separate entrances- so you could have your space.

Trig- you ask what we all spend at the grocery. I am not a tight budget- but I do try to reduce waste, and buy when things are on sale. I spend right around 120-135 a week. But I do buy high end meats, as do you. I also get organic when I buy veggies. But I also include everything in that shop. Hair stuff, paper goods, everything I need, coffee, spices, shampoo ect. I also don't eat out much.

I sometimes treat myself to a pick up and go rotisserie chicken now and again. But the days of going out for a glass of wine and a steak with tip between 40-50 dollars for just me are over. I can have crab and steak at home for about 15.00- if crab legs at 7.99 pound!

Doing ok on WOE. Portion control continues to be issue- as is lack of water, and walking.

Tomorrow is new day! Blue Cross posting with you !!!!

Last edited by Jaz66 : Sat, Jan-13-18 at 18:28.
  #973   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 06:06

BF:

Good Morning!

A brisk 9 degrees this morning. Unbelievable since it was 60 on Friday afternoon!! Depressing. I really want to get outside to start my running training, but I may have to resort to the treadmill this week. I alternate between being excited about the Scotland 10k and being scared to death. What have I done??

Thank you for the ice cream avoidance advice. You can imagine how many times I have told myself, "Just don't buy it". Then before I know it, I'm standing in front of the freezer at the grocery store. Right now I have no desire for it...hoping that feeling holds. I've had a couple good LC days now and am feeling thinner. I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow morning to start the week.

I made 2 boot camp workouts last week and hope for 3 this week. It will make a huge difference in how my run goes if I can just be consistent with the boot camp as well as the running schedule.

Today I'm going to make my chili. I'll have to venture out in the cold to pick up a few things at the market. Just veggies.....no ice cream!! A nice, hot bowl of chili with cheese & sour cream will really hit the spot tonight. I'll have to add beans to DH's serving, but no beans for me.

I believe I'll be having shirred eggs again today. So simple, yet so tasty. Lots of good protein and fat. Hope you enjoy them when you make them Blue.

Be well everyone!
  #974   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 08:09

BF:

Lori- the chili sounds good.. comforting and filling. Perfect for a cold day. Cold here too although you are always colder where you are. I think we are in the low teens. At least it is sunny!

Try not to panic over the 10k goal- you will do the best you can, period. For now, make little mini goals, and focus on those. Otherwise it will be too overwhelming and you will get discouraged. Give yourself KUDOS for every mini goal you reach. One bite at a time with that elephant!

So glad you are loving shirred eggs!

Jaz- So glad that you looked into Airbnb and you see some good possibilities for you. I am using an Airbnb next month for my DD and I, I think I said that already. Cheaper (or equal) to one hotel room to be shared, but we each get a room, there are two bathrooms, a kitchen and room to spread out. Much better than being all up in each others' faces!

The papers sound challenging. I would have to watch a few videos to get myself back up to speed on how to cite things etc. It has been many years!

Blue- You have got me thinking re: the shake thing. I don't want one as a meal replacement MYSELF, that doesn't work for me mentally. BUT I wonder if something LIKE that, that I would freeze in portions, would work as a type of ice cream sub? Interesting thought.

I *LOVE* the idea of you using your little notebook. What a great plan! And a good incentive and fun to do as well! In my minds eye I can see you pulling it out like Harriett the Spy, one of my childhood heroines!

You are right, I was not only slipping around last last year but eventually just gave up the ghost for a while. I feel like, in the end, I just needed a dang break. I was just worn from the battle of it. I feel much better now for sure. The disengagement was necessary perhaps, for the reset to occur.

Really glad you are feeling strongly on track, that the shakes are working and satisfying for you, and that you are enjoying that thinner feeling!

Hi Kmom! Hope your weekend is going well!

Trig- I know you are loving this cold weather-- NOT! At least the days are already getting longer. Staying light until 5 PM now. WHOO HOO!

••••••••••••••••

Working toward my goal this year to DISTILL what is important in my life and then align the things I do to moving toward them.. and so I have been giving a lot of consideration to my bucket list. Five things on it are:

• 50 states by 55- currently in progress and should make it! Hoping to knock off Kansas, Oklahoma and New Mexico this summer. That leaves Oregon, North Dakota, Hawaii (2020) and Alaska.

• 7 continents by 70

• Going to Costa Rica, to the Sloth Sanctuary, and taking the Insiders Tour.

• Going to Africa, taking a safari and staying at Giraffe Manor for a night.

• Taking a cruise to Australia and New Zealand.

Whoo hoo!

Going to the dinner theater this morning with DH, both boys, DD and Fi. Obviously won't be dinner this time but brunch. Luckily I enjoyed plenty of pancakes and such during my off period and so I don't want them now.

DS19's GF (who usually goes with us) is in Paris with her Mom on a groupon deal (and they got a major deal, too!) She even paid her own way. I think it was like 500 per person including airfare?

No school tomorrow for MLK day, then DS16 moves into exam week. He only has four and they are relatively spread out. He has done very well this quarter. I am proud of him! And DS19 scored a 98 on his Econ Midterm for his January online class. Yay!

Have a good day!
  #975   ^
Old Sun, Jan-14-18, 08:29

BF:

Good Morning everyone!

Lori- I sure hope you din't take offense at my LONG winded advice regarding the "ice cream". I just know from MY experience how easy it is to be at goal and one day ya wake up 50 -55 pounds bigger and wonder how in the hell that happened. It is miserable and I wish that on nobody.

I will also say I NEVER in a million years thought it would happen to ME. So I know the struggle of "just don't do it". Not that easy.

I know that you will thrive in boot camp- you have always been our excersise champion! You got this!
I just finished a round of chili last week! It WAS good and did hit the spot. Are you going to make chili dogs too or just chili? It is yummy to do both!

I don't have much more to add from the LONG winded post above!

Except I feel really good and motivated today. For the most part I do feel good most days. I drag here and there due to lack of sleep. But overall- compared to how I felt when I ate crap, no comparison.

YES am bigger than I feel is healthy, or comfortable in my skin. But THIS is the year I will hit goal for the last time. It IS.
I know what I need to do- portions and moving!

So I was thinking about Leeann's goal of 20 before Sept. VERY attainable. Technically if one was to lose 1.5-2.0 pounds per week consitantly within that would be 39 - 52 pounds in just 6 months. Or 78-104 pounds in one year.
So even if we just did have of that- 1 pound per week, just 1!!!! that would be 52 pounds.
You all would be at goal in a couple months- I would need to kick it up because I want it! But you get the idea of what I am getting at.

Last year I lost and gained the same 3 pounds each way all year. I could've made goal. But we are NOT looking back but forward.
THIS year is our year!!!

I love the idea that 2/6 of us have very real goals and dates. Leeann/ wedding, Lori/ Scotland! Trig possibly Key West in Dec.

I may need to rethink a goal too. Like you BLUE and don't have the funds this year for travel - but I might like the idea of an event or goal to assist in my focus. You know, I like the idea for ME to look into the idea of a race. Certainly not a 10k. But maybe a 5k. That is 3.5 miles right? I did more that that in walking when I was in Charleston. But it would be different- I would be training for something that would require a daily commitment. I gotta start somewhere.
OR maybe get that new bike I want! I am not in the shape I was in when I was riding everyday. I lost my beloved bike 3 moves ago and never replaced it. But something tangible. Just something I was thinking about this morning.

I am just putting this out there for ideas!

Today is wing/ drumlet in the oven. Using the baking powder/ spices. I have wing sauce and butter as well, and celery and blue cheese dressing! I'm not really into celery except with wings. Just a holder for blue cheese dressing!

On the weekends it is super easy to do one meal a day. I typically eat between 3-4. and done. I did that yesterday and was up late and got the munchies about 10 pm. So I have fresh deviled eggs and salami I had just a SMALL snack. But I am glad I have something.
I was up binging on Person of Interest. I have 1 more season out of 5 to go. I will finish this up this weekend. Then I will be ready for something different.

I have a paper to write this afternoon and will be on the house hunt. Today is a home day. Tomorrow I will go to mom's for a few hours and then she is taking me to a new BBQ place for my birthday dinner. I may or may not spend the night. Haven't decided.

I am also going to try to get a few properties to look at for Tue. as I have taking that day off to do whatever I want. MY day.
The flu is so widespread here I have been hesitant to go out in large crowds, ie a movie or the mall to walk. But I might do that.

Got my food for the upcoming week- chicken, and "sloppy Joe" is on the menu. Also will have fish one night. I want to have fish night one day a week. Just to lighten it up one night a week.

Ok all feeling very Capt. D today! I have a white board in my kitchen- just a small one, but it works. I write daily affirmations on it everyday.
Today's message: Small steps forward! Capt. D strong just for today!!

Awesome day ladies
Closed Thread