Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#166   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 14:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 163/146/140 Female 5ft 5inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

Actually, the subject of wine is in debate on one of the threads in the elder's lounge forum
Sponsored Links
  #167   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 15:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/230/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Hi Chris & Morgan, Boy am I glad I found you guys! I was having a terrible Pity Party on Saturday night and wondering how I could be turning 53 when I only feel 23! But, having you guys to talk to has been a real pick-me-up!

I am going to have the wine! I just love wine and unfortunately, I had a client about 20 years ago who was a real collector of fine wines. He had a wine cellar in his basement. This old gentleman was on so many medications he could no longer enjoy wine because his taste buds were all mixed up from the medications.

He gave me case upon case of wonderful red wines from the 60s and 70. I still keep the labels in a cook book somewhere just to prove that I have drunk these fine wines. Boy could I go for a bottle of La Tour about now!

I learned a lot about great wines from this client and went on with my husband to study wine a little with some local wine tasters. I was the only one at these tastings who didn't spit in the bowl - nope, I drank ever drop and made someone else drive me home! Yes, Wine is true stuff of a good life and it is very good for you. I think I might open a bottle tonight!

Chris, I am from Birmingham, Alabama - we are in the "DEEP SOUTH". One of the other people who posts on this list if Joyce from Tennessee. She is in the state directly above me, so she is a Southern Girl, too.

Chris, what part of Mexico are you going to. I have traveled extensely down the eastern coast of Mexico. From Texas all the way down to the Yuccatan Penisula. I have always wanted to see the west coast of Mexico on the Baja Penisula though. I have also been to the Mayan ruins and places next Cozumel when we have stopped there on cruises.

Yes, I love to travel. I am very lucky that I have a job that takes me to the UK for about 3 weeks out of every 12 weeks. I adore Scotland. I have lots of friends there in and about Edinburgh. Also, friend in London and Amsterdam. Love all those cities. I think Europe is grand and I could travel all the time!

Chris, what part of the UK did you live in? I am jealous of your trip to Egypt. Always have wanted to go there and hope to make it someday. I also have not seen Italy except for a three day stop in Rome which wasn't nearly long enough. I am dying to see Barcelona and other parts of Spain. Loved Paris, but I seem to be the only person who is enthralled with Paris!

I have a good friend who is from New Zealand and my nephew worked there for two years. Both of them loved the country and speak of it often to me. I would love to see it and visit the Aussies while (whilst) I am there!

Thanks so much for your support, all of you. I am determined to do this and nothing is going to stop me. So, I guess my body had just better get the message that this is the way it is going to be eating from now on and start dropping some of these frightful pounds!

For dinner tonight I am having: Pan Browns Scallops on a little Spring Salad Mix with a sauce I make of tabasco, lemon juice, Worchestershire, Horseradish and a little no-sugar Catsup. These are fabulous and then we are having a Portabello Mushroom with the stem torn out, spread with a little Pesto and topped with a tomato slice and goat cheese and grilled. I try to cook different things at night to make this more interesting and to keep my naturally thin husband from going nuts while I eat this way. He seems perfectly happy with his food and says he doesn't notice the difference!

Go figure!
  #168   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:03
Registered Member

Stats: 260/222.5/150 Female 5 ft 3 in
BF:46/41/25
Progress: 34%

He y everyone, this is waht i like about this forum, you are not alone. I have not had a loss in 6 weeks, actually I went up 3 # and don't have a clue why. I think I do too much salad!
I even tried L-Caratin but tht didn't seem to help but it b might have worked if I remembered to take it. I am fairly healthy and lucky not to take any meds so it is real hard for me to remember to even take vitamins!
I want to be down another 30 # by thanksgiving (we are going on a cruise) but it doesn't look like I am going to make it. I think at this point I will be happy with another10 or 20.
Hang in there everyone, we have to stick together and not let this stall get us down.
by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LYDIA
Its one day at a time!
Ginger
  #169   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 16:10

BF:
Progress:

Thanks for the birthday greetings, Ginger! I feel like I have had a mini-birthday party today. My husband just called my office and wished me a belated Happy Birthday, too. It finally dawned on him! So, all is well that ends well!

Ginger, I think you can do it. I am very happy to see how much weight you have lost so far! They cruise will be fun and you will have plenty to do. Just be sure to watch out for those desserts and if you tell your waiter in the formal dining room - they will see to it that you have blueberries, raspberries and strawberries with whipping cream or something that is appropriate for your style of eating. Great desserts can be made from cream cheese and they cruse ships seems to aim to please you - at least the Royal Caribbean and the Holland American - which are the ones I have been on!

Have fun on your cruse and no that you will not be tempted by "the day after Thanksgiving Dressing Sandwiches"!!!!

Again, so nice to have you guys to talk to. Lyda
  #170   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 08:51

BF:

Hi Lydia

Hope you opened that bottle of wine...there are some things you just have to do and having a glass of fine wine is one of them.!!!! My hubbie and I really love good wine and I believe the latest research is showing that it may (Dry red anyway) even help with weight loss. Db drinks a glass most evenings and he lost 28lb in three months low carbing (IS that grounds for divorce?). Well anyway, back to travel. We are going to the Yukaton peninsula for this wee trip, hope to get to Cozimel and 'close by' ruins whilst there. As for Egypt, I spent four weeks there a few years back, mostly scuba diving in the red sea off Hurgada, but also quite a bit of site-seeing - the valley of the Kings, etc etc etc. It was one of my most favorite hoildays. DB hasn't been there, hence the return trip. What do you do for a living that gets you to the UK for months on end and can I have a job? And who the hecks dosn't like Paris, its one of the worlds great cities.. in my mind anyway.. I love it. Then I love most of Europe.

You must make the trip to NZ at some stage, though, its not called "God's own" for nothing. Spectacular scenary, amazing food and wonderful people. You would love the place, I'm sure! We still own a house there up in the rain forest north of Auckland city and plan to retire back there when the time comes.

On the subject of food. I went for Sashumi last night and sort of blew the diet by scoffing three pieces of sushi (all that rice) as well as just the fish, so this morning I feel somewhat bloated and tired... too many carbs. Anyway your dish as described sounds great, perhaps we can exchange some recipes.. I love cooking and it sounds like you do too.

I have been to parts of the South.. and just love it. We will have to get cracking and get around down there a bit more during our stint here in the States. Must get back to work, this is quite adictive
  #171   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 09:25

BF:
Progress:

Hi Chris, Abouttime, Morgan, Joyce and everyone else whose names I don't know!

Well, the world looks a whole lot sunnier this morning. I DID open that bottle of wine last night. A nice Rosemont Shiraz from Australia. I realized I was humming "Waltzing Matilda" while I was taking the cork out.

I didn't realize how much I had missed wine! I measured out 2 oz. and had it while I made dinner. Then had a 5 oz. glass with dinner. I fell asleep at 11:30 (so unlike me - I have insomnia most of the time) and I didn't awaken till 6:00 this morning. Ah, the wonders of wine!

Yes, Please offer up any recipes you might have. I will give you my simple recipe from last night's dinner. It is really two starters, but I often find myself ordering two starters when eating out rather than a regular dinner. Most starters are so low carb!

For the mushroom dish - it's a piece of cake! Just get some large Portabello Mushrooms. (Mushrooms count the same as "salad" on Atlkins) Wipe with a damp paper towel and remove the stem.

Cut off the tough end of the stem and chop the rest of the stem and sprinkle it over the mushroom. Then add about 1 Teaspoon of prepared Pesto mixed with olive oil. Top this with a slice of fresh tomato and some nice goat cheese - I use Chervil or some French Goat cheese, but most any kind will do. Pop this in under the broiler or under the "grill" as they say in the UK for about 7 minutes or until the cheese is brown and the mushroom heated through. Fabulous!!

As for the scallops - Just take a pound (about 12) of large sea scallops. Put them on a paper towel and salt and pepper them. The salt draws some of the water out and makes them brown nicely.

Heat a nonstick pan, add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil and brown the scallops about 2 minutes or so on both sides till golden brown.

I serve these on Spring Mix Salad with a sauce I make, but they are also nice with a your favorite salad dressing.

My sauce? Well, it is a traditional Southern Cocktail Sauce that is just a bit of this and a bit of that. For two people, I use about 3 TBS. of no-sugar Catsup, a nice dash of Worchestershire Sauce, a dash of Tabasco, a heaping teaspoon of prepared horseradish and the juice of half a lemon. You can fiddle around with it to get it to your liking. Just drizzle over the scallops and Whoo-Hoo!!!

As for the travel, well, I have toiled away as a lawyer all my working days. I was just about to give it up and take up some other line of work because life it too short to be in a courtroom all the time and the stress was awesome.

Quiet back accident, I met some people who lived in Edinburgh, became friends with them, visited there and they came here and before you knew it, I had a wide circle of friends with projects all over Europe that I could work on. So, I am still a practicing lawyer, but doing much more interesting work now. Life is just full of surprises!

I was not in the least hungry this morning, but had a boiled egg, two slices of Canadian bacon and a few cherry berry tomatoes. For lunch, I am having the "old standard" - I have this so often because it is so easy - just a Caesar Salad with Blackened Chicken breast on top.

Gotta go now, time to fill up my sports bottled for the third time today. I find if I keep this 1 quart bottle with me I can drink the water down so much more quickly through the straw than if I pour water in a glass!

Happy Tuesday to all of you! So good to know you are there!
  #172   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 12:40

BF:

well
When you need me here I am a Legal Secre
  #173   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 12:49

BF:

Ignore the last 1/2 message
Had a senior moment and pressed the wrong button. Was about to say I'm working as a legal Secretary. SO I can carry your bags. Actually, my real profession is breaking and training horses, but Chicago is sadly lacking in horses and I just got too darned old to do all that physical stuff, so some how or other I found myself being called a legal secretary and sitting at a desk pretending I can type, life never fails to amaze me!!

Will try the scallops, and will post my fav. recipe for scallops tomorrow.
  #174   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 16:56

BF:
Progress:

Chris, sooo, if you are a legal secretary, you can imagine how I felt about the law after over 20 years. It can be a very frustrating business. Depending on what kind of law you practice, I guess.

Some lawyers I know have nice quiet practices where they do Real Estate Closings, Wills and Trust and Tax business - Me, I wanted to be a litigator. It was fun when I was young, but the older I got the more I got discouraged at the cases I was seeing, wondering if I was part of a solution or part of a problem! Guess I was just growing up.

I am much happier now but I feel just like you - I kept going to law school and took the bar exam and one day I just woke up in a court room and realized I was a lawyer!! hahahahaha

Yes, do share your recipes for Scallops with me. We get lovely fresh scallops here and have them often. I adore seafood and try to find interesting recipes for it to keep this diet interesting.

BTW, do you use Ketosis strips to test your urine? I can't even get in ketosis!!! I am stunned by this wondering if I am some sort of a mutant from the "Planet of the Fatties". I can't even pee right according to these Ketosis strips!

Tonight's dinner will be: Steak with grilled onions, yellow bell peppers and mushrooms. Simple and fast!

Lydia Rose
  #175   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 08:35

BF:

Guess what?

if you drink enough of that great Aussie Shiraz, you can turn those little mothers purple... well, thats the only time I get a real reaction, so dont waste your time.
Talking of my favurite tipple, have you imbibed any NZ wines yet?.. we are producing some stirling stuff down there.

Scallops

4 - 6 large scallops per person ( do the same as you did in yr recipe with the salt, rather than dredging in flour, though you can dredge in a little soy flour)
2 - 3 tble spns butter (what is needed to cook scallops)
Lemon juice from 2 lemons (more or less according to taste)
double or heavy cream ( 1/2 - 1 cup as much as you like really)
salt & pepper
Fresh Basil

Cook scallops in butter untill golden and almost cooked through, remove from pan and keep warm

return pan to heat and add lemon juice and seasonings. add cream and bring to simmer, stirring. add scallops and stir through, (sort of flash cook,dont cook for too long) lastly add chopped up basil and serve immediately.
this is a great dinner party dish and so quick and easy. I used to serve with rice, but no longer. They are great with green beans , fresh asparagas or any mild veg.
  #176   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 14:45

Stats: 416/369/185 Male 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi TarHeel,
I'm 55 and on Atkins since May 2003. Weights comming off slow but is coming off. Knees are shot so I can't do much excersize. Intense cravings are gone with this WOE. I love it!
  #177   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-03, 14:57

Stats: 150/138/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Lightbulb Suggestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Mel
Hi TarHeel,
I'm 55 and on Atkins since May 2003. Weights comming off slow but is coming off. Knees are shot so I can't do much excersize. Intense cravings are gone with this WOE. I love it!

Mr. Mel.... Most men aren't crazy about exercise videos, but my knees are shot also and I do the "Walk Away The Pounds" tapes and it doesn't bother my knees at all! The weight REALLY started coming off after I started doing these tapes consistantly. I do it 5 days a week (weekends off). There is a 1 mile, 2 mile and 3 mile tape; depending on how busy your day is. Just a suggestion.
Good luck!
  #178   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 10:22

BF:
Progress:

Hi, Chris, Mr. Mel and Tarheel!

Love getting your posts - they always make me more hopeful!

I, too have a back injury that prevents me from doing much excercise. I have been walking like Frankestein for months now. But it is getting better.

I went to the Doctor yesterday and he decided to give me some steroids for short term use, some mild pain pills so that I could stay on my feet longer and is keeping me on the muscle relaxers a couple of months longer. I swim when I can, but am going to try to do more walking. I know several people who do "Walk Away the Pounds". It works great for them!

Chris, Love that recipe for scallops and am going to make it this weekend! I can't wait. I am always looking for new recipes for scallops. I have another one that is scallops with tomatoes I think you might like - even without the need for rice! LOL.

And Yes, Chris, I have gotten into those NZ Wines while in Scotland. They are great! I love a good expensive bottle of wine, but also have to consider some bucks to replenish all my losses in my 401K, so I am always on the look out for wines that I call "El Cheapo, but El Goodo". There are some really reasonably priced Chilean wines that are very good, too! When we are in Madeira we find lots of good Portuguese wines - but I can't handle that wine that is the pride of Madeira - too sweet. I am a Merlot, Shiraz, Cabernet kind of girl - I like them rich, fruity, spicey and full bodied. Kinda like me, except for the "rich" part!!!

While I was at the Doctor's office, I decided to do some complaining about this lack of weight loss. I told him I had been on Atkins as a loyal and faithful member of the "Induction" Club for 5 months. He was stunned that I had only lost 10 pounds net!

The next thing I knew, I was in the lab, getting blood drawn for a whole series of test. My doctor thinks I might have a thyroid problem. Yeah, Right! I have looked for something to blame my weight on for ten years and I only hope that it is something I can just take a thyroid pill for. I will get my results on Monday, so I will let you know.

My husband and I had dinner out last night - we just stopped by Outback on the way home - so easy to eat there - I had 1/2 order of chicken wings, salad without the crutons, a small steak and some steamed veggies. I also had a glass of wine and two glasses of water with lemon. Came home so full I had to lie down to watch the 10:00 news!

Keep me posted you guys........Lydia Rose
  #179   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 11:03

BF:

Greetings Lydia Rose

So sorry to hear about yr back probs. Actually, I did damage to my lower back on Tuesday.. weight training (I think) and have been hobbling for the past couple of days. wow, really know now what back pain is! So full on sympathy.
You & I could probably do a lot of 'damage' if we ever got together, tastes are similar.. hate sweet, adore dry and drink a lot of affordable Chilean, love good food mmmmm!
Occasionally Sam's Club here in Illinois has cheap NZ wines, so they are around.
I am off tomorrow to Mexico, don't drink too much and I will promise not to indulge in too any Mexican meals.
Wouldn't it be great if it is a thyroid problem... pop a pill and whamo! Hmmm, might bleat at my doctor for a test.
  #180   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 11:24

BF:
Progress:

Chris! You are so right, we would be fast friends, between our love of travel, wine and food, we could eat and drink our way around the world, happily!

I will miss you while you are gone, but want to wish you a lovely trip! Get in the warm sun and water water of theYucatan and enjoy all that friendly Mexican Hospitality.

If you are in for a long plane ride, either call your doctor for some muscle relaxers or load up on Ibuprohphen or something. Those long flights are killers - at leat for me, I still am much too cheap to travel business class - I am cramped in tourist class with all the other sardines. You get many more flights for your money.

If you get in serious pain in Mexico, take heart, you can get almost anything you want a the Pharmacia there. They can give you muscle relaxers and mild pain pills over the counter. Just don't let you back ruin your fun!

I leave on 9/10 for Edinburgh and from Edinburgh I leave on 9/15 for Funchal, Madeira - I'll be back in the US on about 10/3, I think. But I will check email when in Edinburgh - I will be lost to the world, while in Madeira!

Have a wonderful time! Eat, Drink, Live, Laugh and Love,

I'll be thinkin' of you.

Lyda Rose