Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-30-24, 08:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Celebrity Vegans admit to Nutrient deficiencies.

What supermodel Gisele ate to cure her depression

From Nina Teicholz’s SubStack,
https://unsettledscience.substack.c...s-this-week-ddd

Quote:
It’s hard to believe that supermodels or any of the super-rich über-class, with their access to elite everything—coaches, doctors, eye creams—can be misled on something so basic as healthy eating, but maybe the greater the gild, the more the groupthink. And for some years now, the groupthink on diet has trended vegan. All the celebrity vegans…sigh, too many to name.

Now, however, some are quietly acknowledging the deficits of this way of eating, including deficiencies in such nutrients as vitamin B12, calcium, iodine and iron, as Robert Downing, Jr. reluctantly disclosed earlier this year. And Gisele Bündchen is now acknowledging that she developed iron deficiency anemia on the “whole foods, plant-based” approach she followed for years with her former husband, Tom Brady.

Gisele, who is currently on the publicity circuit promoting a new cookbook, says that her lifestyle and some shoulder surgeries left her depressed. “She was told that she needed to change her diet, get eight hours of sleep, and exercise daily,” The Cut reports. “Once she did that, she said she became a different person…And poof! There goes the depression.” Since we can assume that a supermodel and wife of one of the greatest athletes of all time was already well-informed on the importance of exercise and sleep, we’re going to assume it was the diet that was the transformative agent for her mental health.

The news we’re all clamoring for--obviously--is, what does this impossibly beautiful and now more emotionally resilient woman eat? Gisele gives very few details. We learn that she never consumes white sugar, calling the ingredient “poison,” although she seems to eat plenty of fruit and whole grains. She eats eggs for breakfast—a frittata or omelet— to consume enough protein. And after breakfast? She goes vague…maybe a smoothie, she says, or…who knows, maybe, like many supermodels, she lives on air. But here’s what we see in the pictures: some eggs…and what’s that? Steak?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-31-24, 08:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

This is amazing

There are surprisingly few online discussions when people get away from vegan, because they have hit squads swarming the comments with death threats. Which does make me wonder about their mental health. Here's some sobering statistics from a paper I ran across the other day, from February of 2023, and it fits right in here.

How prevalent is vitamin B12 deficiency among vegetarians?

Full Abstract

Quote:
Vegetarians are at risk for vitamin B12 (B12) deficiency due to suboptimal intake. The goal of the present literature review was to assess the rate of B12 depletion and deficiency among vegetarians and vegans. Using a PubMed search to identify relevant publications, 18 articles were found that reported B12 deficiency rates from studies that identified deficiency by measuring methylmalonic acid, holo-transcobalamin II, or both. The deficiency rates reported for specific populations were as follows: 62% among pregnant women, between 25% and almost 86% among children, 21–41% among adolescents, and 11–90% among the elderly. Higher rates of deficiency were reported among vegans compared with vegetarians and among individuals who had adhered to a vegetarian diet since birth compared with those who had adopted such a diet later in life. The main finding of this review is that vegetarians develop B12 depletion or deficiency regardless of demographic characteristics, place of residency, age, or type of vegetarian diet. Vegetarians should thus take preventive measures to ensure adequate intake of this vitamin, including regular consumption of supplements containing B12.

My bold. This is so dangerous.

Quote:
B12 is only synthesized by microorganisms and is, thus, not found in foods of plant origin, except through contamination with soil or by exposure to foods containing B12, such as milk solids during processing or in foods fortified with this vitamin. Since vegetarians have limited natural sources of B12 (milk, dairy, and eggs), the presence of B12 in plant-based diets depends on the inclusion/exclusion of foods of animal origin, consumption of foods fortified with B12, or the use of B12 supplements. Although B12 deficiency was once thought to be extremely rare except among strict vegetarians, it is now known that B12 deficiency is relatively common among people adhering to all types of vegetarian diets, including lacto-ovo-vegetarian, and other population subgroups, such as the elderly.

I wonder with the increased push to plant-based that might have moved it out of the rare category? At least it is semi-being recognized as a serious problem. Because I remember reading about it when I started low carb, and they were called it "underdiagnosed" then. Perhaps it's better, but still not addressed as it should.

My doctor just ran a full vitamin panel to check on anything that is causing my symptoms, and we are both keto and were pleased with the results.

Actually, and this is sad... he is more like astonished. I'm not like his other patients in his age range. This spurs me onward.

Quote:
that B12 deficiency is relatively common among people adhering to all types of vegetarian diets, including lacto-ovo-vegetarian

Are they not eating enough of the lacto-ovo? Does this mean that even people who do eat animal foods are not getting enough? If they are, as instructed, eating mostly plants and grains. Dr. Davis, of Wheatbelly fame, had a section in the book about the anti-nutrients: how grains drain the Bs.

Even such a diet might not be healthy unless they dropped the grains and changed their macros to be more animal food heavy. And, as always, there is individual variation. And the storage tank concept, suggested in the abstract with the line:

Quote:
Higher rates of deficiency were reported among vegans compared with vegetarians and among individuals who had adhered to a vegetarian diet since birth compared with those who had adopted such a diet later in life.