Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 05:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default JAMA documents orchestrated backlash

Posted this JAMA editorial on the Nina Teicholz thread before seeing that DietDoctor had already written a post about this. Crazy...but then David Katz is involved.

Quote:
The Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) has a fascinating, almost chilling, account this week that shows the depths of dissent and deception now roiling in the fields of nutrition research.

The in-depth article documents the orchestrated backlash from a lobby group that tried to intimidate editors at another prominent journal into not publishing a series of scientific papers that found research to date was too weak to find that red meat is a significant health risk.

The article also notes the deliberate breaking of a publication embargo to mount that backlash, which is a serious ethical breach in the research community. The article also exposes the hidden ties to various players in the food industry — on all sides — of nutritional research.

Diet Doctor has often noted that the field of nutrition research is rife with undeclared bias and poor quality research, such as observational studies that don’t establish cause-and-effect relationships.

As noted Stanford researcher Dr. John Ioannadis notes “the whole field is in need of radical reform.”

If you ever wanted more evidence of that desperate need for reform, take a look at this almost shocking account of what happened when the Annals of Internal Medicine was about to publish their series of research articles on red meat.

JAMA: Backlash Over Meat Dietary Recommendations Raises Questions About Corporate Ties to Nutrition Scientists

https://www.dietdoctor.com/journal-...trated-backlash
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 05:13

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

I think the committee that drafts the Dietary Guidelines for Americans should be moved out of the Department of Agriculture (where pressure groups/special interest groups throw around a lot of money to influence decisions) and moved into the Department of Health. Big Pharma would be the major pressure group there.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 05:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Profit has no business meddling in health. That's the central issue.

The American public has this widespread, and doubtless encouraged, tendency to think they can just take a pill for whatever the problem is. I grew up during the hysteria of the Drug Epidemic which was handled in the same stupid way alcohol problems were supposed to be solved by Prohibition: and it's the same spectacular failure.

Over and over again, people my age tell me of the long list of their prescriptions, some of which are for side effects of others, and look on me with suspicion because I've so far dodged all of them. They still think drugs will work.

That's as foolish as thinking heroin, meth, or opiods will solve their problems.

Despite me standing in front of them after years of low carbing, they still won't believe my reality over what their doctor wants them to do. Maybe it's the age thing.

Maybe new generations, the ones embracing low-carb renamed keto, will change that.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-20, 14:54
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I was really alarmed when I read this last week.

I've always gotten irritated when a vegan/religious don't-eat-the-cute-animals ideology infiltrates science, but for the last year or so with the explosion of all the plant-based-everything nonsense, it's REALLY getting under my skin. It's going to kill people, and make life miserable for countless others.

Here's the article referenced in the DD post that Janet linked above, and here's a response from Texas A&M.

*When I first read it, I saw "Dr Bacaw" as "Dr Bacon."
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-20, 15:26

To give you a ray of hope, the market may correct itself. Beyond Meat may crash and burn...From a high of 240, current price is half at 120.
One taste and the customers don't come back.

Burger King Cuts Impossible Whopper Price on Slowing Sales
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...t3iLss8tKX3fuds
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-20, 15:50

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I haven't read all of this material yet. But one sentence did jump out at me from the article referenced at DietDoctor:
Quote:
these entities are surrounded by an aura of health and wellness, although that isn’t necessarily evidence-based.
"Meatless meat" is a highly processed "food." I don't know what's in it. One paragraph described "quorn" as a dough substance derived from fermented fungus. Mmmmm. Sounds tasty. In any case, consumption of these "food" substances has not been explored with evidence-based indications that it is, in fact, healthy.

Then there's a little matter of unanticipated outcomes. Remember these previous healthy guidelines?
--low-fat is good, never mind sugar
--margarine is better than butter
--transfats preserve shelf-life, and that's good
--lard is bad, better to fry fast food in vegetable oil
--"eat less, move more"
--"calories in/calories out"
--everything in moderation

It's a long list, right?

I ate a Wonder Burger (or whatever they called it) in a restaurant once. It tasted pretty good. But I'll hold out for more "evidence" that it will save the world and bring good health to all. And meanwhile, back to our regularly-scheduled Angus beef burger.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-20, 15:51

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Ah, that's what an "Impossible Whopper" is I keep seeing signs and was really tempted to go try one. Now, not so much.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-20, 15:57

BF:

Well, here's what I got when I asked the question about the ingredients of "meatless" burgers. U. S. News and World Reports.

Are Meatless Burgers Really Healthier?

I highlight the following paragraph:
Quote:
Compared with burgers made with beef, Shiue says, “They are about equal in saturated fat and calories, and higher in sodium and carbohydrates. They do contain more fiber, but most of that is in the form of added fiber, like a fiber supplement, as opposed to fiber from legumes or grains in their whole form.” In addition, “while we can’t measure phytonutrients – the plant-based antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that are present in plants – it is likely that meatless burgers won’t contain these beneficial nutrients due to processing.” Shiue also points out that recent studies have shown the connection between eating processed food and negative health outcomes, including weight gain, cardiovascular disease, cancer and early death.

Last edited by bkloots : Sat, Jan-25-20 at 16:05.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-20, 17:00

Impossible or Beyond Burger ingredient list:
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 308D5A9B-D041-43FC-83AE-F81DEE230700.jpeg (46.2 KB, 14 views)
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-20, 18:59

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Impossible or Beyond Burger ingredient list:

How can anybody possibly eat that? That's not food!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-20, 02:44

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

#12   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-20, 03:08

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h

is a contradiction in terms, an oxymoron.

In response to an online discussion about "respecting the choices of others" I shared a treasure house of links from ex-vegans discussing the impact on their health, the environment impact, and the money behind it, many of which I found here or remembered from here.

It has actually moved me to LESS toleration. I also now make a serious distinction between vegetarianism and veganism, which is not something the average person grasps. One eats real food, one eats lab food and insists we all do.

Veganism is a cult. And like all cults, they are about the power and money which flows to the top. And we all know what rolls downhill.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-20, 07:32

BF:

About that Ingredients list: Among them, "natural flavors."

I've often seen this listed on many processed food labels. What are these "natural flavors" that have to be added?

We won't even discuss the bamboo cellulose. I've got some bamboo out in the backyard. Maybe I should just eat it straight. Me and the pandas.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-20, 10:11

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

From the A Healthy Vegan Diet link "There is no more reason to stress the “complementary” choices required of vegan diets than to remind omnivores that they must carefully “combine” their meat with citrus fruit to avoid scurvy."
Which is countered with https://www.kevinstock.io/health/do...need-vitamin-c/
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-20, 11:53

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Sometimes 'natural flavours' sounds better than beaver anal gland extract. Not that I have a problem with nose to tail eating. But I think it's reasonable for other people to want to know and decide for themselves.