Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 17:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 266/266/200 Male 6 feet
BF:
Progress: 0%
Angry Carb/Cals Level

Hey folks

I’ve been eating about 2100 calories a day so I know that’s the reason I’ve been stalled.

So – this week I’ve been hitting 3000 cals and about 30 carbs.

BUT :

I’ve put on a pound.

I was wondering if I might ask a few questions :

1 ) Is my carb level too high?
2 ) Is my cals level too high?

I was thinking that this weight gain was just water as I’ve been eating more this week (and a few extra carbs with it, but not many : 5 carbs ). So is it possible that this weight gain is just my body adjusting to having more food in it and I should start losing perhaps next week or the week after?.

Basically, I’d like any advice as to how to proceed to get some success.

Any thoughts/comments much appreciated.

P.S. :

1) No coffee or diet coke. No fizzy drinks.
2 ) Fat = 80% : Protein 17% : Carbs 3%
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 03:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

Like you, I wasn't high enough on cals and carbs, so I started upping them about a month ago. I went up a few pounds and held on to it, but now it's finally started to come off.

If you are past induction, then you should be gradually upping your carbs in 5 gram increments per week to find you CCL - the point at which you no longer lose. Problem is, it may take longer than a week to tell if you are really gaining.

How many days has it been since you upped the carbs and calories? If it's only been a couple of days or weeks, then I'd hang in there for a while. Sometimes our body's are slow to pick up on what's happening.

In terms of when the weight will come off...next week, the week after, maybe sooner, maybe later. The body lets go of it when it's ready. It's not always easy to tell when it's ready.

If you are only up a pound, don't sweat it. A pound can be the difference between a few glasses of water an not, or weighing at the "wrong" time of the day.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 03:59

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%
Exclamation

Hi Atkid

Just popped into you diary and seen you have been unwell recently. This can also have an effect on the scales. I know it did for me last December.

When you increase your carbs and cals you certainly need to give them time to kick in and stabalise in your body. As Angela suggests I would hang in there for a couple of weeks at that level. I upt my carbs to around 40 a few weeks ago and put on two pounds. I knew it must be water weight and lowered it back to between 25 and 35 for the next fortnight and lost a pound a week.

As Bebe says in your journal, make sure you are eating lots of veg. I don't thing either 3,000 kcal or 30 carbs are 2 high, however in going up from 2,100 to 3,000 kcal your body has received quite a shock and may be holding on to water as there is a lot more food to process. Just ensure you drink lots of fluids to help that food processing.