Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-22, 13:19

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Women who eat little meat and dairy put their health at risk, says scientist

Quote:
Women who eat little meat and dairy put their health at risk, says scientist

The health of many young women is being compromised by a lack of vital nutrients in their diet because they consume little or no red meat and dairy products, a senior scientist has warned.

Ian Givens, professor of food chain nutrition and director of the Institute for Food, Nutrition and Health at Reading University, said half of females aged between 11 and 18 were consuming below the minimum recommended level of iron and magnesium and a quarter consumed too little iodine, calcium and zinc.

He said that young women were more at risk than young men from such deficiencies and this could be because they were “more sensitive to the messages put out about how bad” meat and dairy products were for the environment, meaning more became vegetarian or vegan.

Givens told a briefing on alternative sources of protein organised by the Science Media Centre that there were good environmental reasons for eating more plant-based and less animal food, but warned: “We do need to make this move with some caution.

“We already have a nutrition situation which is quite marginal in many ways and for some of the issues I think we will not know the outcome for quite a long time.

“Teenage years are absolutely critical for bone development. If you don’t get it right it has major significance in terms of bone health in the elderly, increasing the risk of breakages which can reduce the quality of life.”

He said calcium and magnesium were important for bone development and young women who suffered deficiencies in their adolescence could face even greater problems after the menopause, when losing the benefits of oestrogen meant they would already be at higher risk of bone weakness.

He said women in older age groups were also more at risk from deficiencies than men. Analysis of the government-funded National Diet and Nutrition Survey revealed that 11 per cent of males aged 11 to 18, 54 per cent of females aged 11 to 18 and 27 per cent of females aged 19 to 64 consumed less than the minimum recommended level of iron. Only 2 per cent of males aged 19 to 64 consumed less than the minimum recommended level of iron. Red meat is a source of iron, though it is also found in beans and nuts.

Givens said iodine deficiency was particularly worrying in young women approaching child-bearing age because it was essential for foetal health.

He said milk was the biggest source of iodine for most people but relatively few plant-based milk alternatives were fortified with the mineral.

He called for broader comparisons of the benefits of meat and plant-based products, looking not only at the differences in carbon emissions per unit of food but whether alternatives to meat and dairy were providing the same amount of nutrients.

Separately a survey by the Food Standards Agency (FSA) has found more than a third of people would be willing to try meat grown in a laboratory, and about a quarter would eat insects.

Concern about the environment was the most common reason given for being willing to try those alternative sources of protein.

Among people unwilling to eat lab-grown meat, 42 per cent said nothing could encourage them to try it, 27 per cent could be persuaded if they knew it was safe to eat and 23 per cent if they could trust that it was properly regulated.

Professor Robin May, the chief scientific adviser of FSA, said the agency was talking with regulators in Singapore, where lab-grown chicken was approved for sale in 2020.

He said the agency was considering two applications for approval of insect-based food.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...ntist-ch2dz0z58
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-22, 08:30

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Good perspective, Demi. Thanks for providing this information. Or information about misinformation, as the case may be.

As to new forms of "meat": I think many Americans are more concerned about palatability than safety in stuff they already eat. New forms of "food" will have to look and taste like familiar food, regardless of ecological benefits.

I ate one of those veggie burgers at a restaurant. It was indistinguishable from a juicy, red meat burger. If it had been made of insects and still tasted good, why not? Personally, I'd also want to know what the nutrient values are, and the chemical additives.

I suppose many people have forgotten that the reason white bread has any nutritional value at all is because it has been "fortified" ever since it was known that milling flour to make it fluffy white removes ALL the real nutrients. Same with milk. Same with many so-called healthy breakfast cereals, etc.

Shopping the perimeter of the market for real food--as much as possible--seems like a simple step towards healthier living.

Best wishes.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-22, 07:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
I ate one of those veggie burgers at a restaurant. It was indistinguishable from a juicy, red meat burger. If it had been made of insects and still tasted good, why not? Personally, I'd also want to know what the nutrient values are, and the chemical additives.

While true, this leads into my other concern about such meat substitutes: how does it make me feel after dinner or the next day?

I don't get along with plant protein, and now I have another forbidden item on the grocery list. They put it in EVERYTHING, just like wheat in all its forms.

I'm forced to be non-processed because -- except for certain specialty purveyors online -- the label is always a train wreck. I've counted as much as six things I can't eat. For a prepped food item, like a deli side salad, that shouldn't have ANY of those things in it!

Then again, I eat at home a lot more now!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-22, 09:41

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I buy almost exclusively single ingredient foods, foods that do not need labels because there are no added ingredients, just the food itself, meat, fish, veggies. I prepare and eat it all at home. I do not eat out in restaurants. I've been doing this for so long that it is just second nature to me.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-22, 11:38

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Just to be clear, my comment about the veggie burger had only to do with a one-time experience with this trendy new substance.

I'm pretty sure that any plant-based meat "substitute" qualifies as an extremely processed "food." That violates one of my essential principles. If I'm going to eat insects, I ought to eat them fresh and crunchy!