Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-13, 21:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/general low carb
Stats: 196/183/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Lightbulb My theory about why this works better for some people

I think those of us who once did Atkins or PP may have ended up like this:

We may have had a crash in seratonin. Menstrual cycles, stress, small cheats, boredom and loneliness and other health factors may play havoc with the seratonin in our body and make us actually need a few carbs to even things out. yet we also know it is virtually impossible to lose weight without forgoing the sweets and the bread. If we don't eventually find a way to satisfy our needs for more seratonin, I think many of us found it harder to stick with the more restrictive program.

Not to advocate this diet as any sort of weight loss plan, Potatoes not Prozac but the science is eye opening:

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/potato_qna.htm

I would think that the CAD/CALP program would be a happy medium between the low-carb and the seratonin needs many of us have. It would make sense that it would lead to success by simply enabling us to stick to low-carb for a longer time (life!) than the other plans. We win by longevity if nothing else. What do you think?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 10:45

Plan: CALP & Exercise
Stats: 236/129/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 111%

My opinion, CALP is the best!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 13:19

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppinn
My opinion, CALP is the best!!!

Yeppers!! Where is that "like" button I can click for your post?
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 13:35

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I really like the idea of CAD/CALP as a maintenance tool. Most evenings include potatoes for me lately, maybe it's just a winter thing!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-13, 09:57
Registered Member

Plan: CAD
Stats: 300/190.5/133 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 66%
Default I"m not a purest

I tee-totally agree!!

I LOVE Potatoes not Prozac & CAD & love um both together. I know hard core PnPer's wouldn't agree but for me the low carb breakfast & lunch with carbs at dinner really works.

I also know hard core CADers wouldn't agree with my pure carb snack I eat 3 hours after dinner BUT it really works for me.

SO, yeah, I've combined the two programs and LOVE IT.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-14, 11:20

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

I know this is a really old post but I totally have to agree with the OP. I started taking serotonin increasing supplements and with my CAD RM in the evening, with plenty of protein first, then my veg then my carbs, I'm sleeping much better, which is a sign that serotonin supply is increased. I think the RM with my supplements is why CAD is feeling so painless for me. Week 4 Day 4 with zero cheats- which for me on regular LC is unheard of...so I'm sticking with my winning formula.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-29-15, 23:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/140/120 Female 5:4
BF:
Progress: 44%

i see these are old posts but im going to try this,,2 low carb/no carb cmmeals in the day and a regular balanced dinner with some carbs,,,,i have tried atkins and the low serotonin sets in very fast,,very irritiated grumoy depressed cant sleep at night and feeling miserable,, this is not the induction flu im talkin about....i think some good carbs at night will keep my neurotransmitters more balanced,,i couldnt live the way i felt on atkins anymore,,,plus i really craved fruits and loads of veggies which i love and need...i have tried plans like south beach and my bodys reaction to plans with regular eating, breakfast snacks, etc, confuses me because whenever i eat breakfast i am more hungry during the day and also very tired,,even if its relative lowcarb,,like forexample an omelet with onions tomatoes ,,half an hour later ill be ready to go to sleep and then ill be hungry an hour later,,atkins controlled my hunger but...the mood was horrible..and couldnt sleep,,,so im going to try this hoping it will work,,im at my wits end
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-15, 05:02
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

hi-
I feel great on this plan- and it is easy to do and a plan for life. Not many people post here so please come on over to the main thread. We are a small group so it's not a very busy area, but we will try and help.
E
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-15, 07:58

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

Please do come over to the main thread. Fwiw, onions and tomatoes if eaten in more than very limited amount (i.e. up to 1/4 of a tomatoe and only enough onion for a bit of flavor) outside your reward meal (the one meal a day with complex carbs) isn't on the Hellers plans. That kind of sleepiness you describe, used to happen to me all the time when I was gobbling carbs whenever so I know that feeling all too well!

My best advice -choose cad or calp (carbohydrate addicts lifespan program - not just for those 40 and up despite the rest of it's title..lol), and get the book from a used bookstore or the library. Set yourself up with all the info you need to do it so it works
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 07:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin
Stats: 315/304/160 Female 5 ft 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 7%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moje
I think those of us who once did Atkins or PP may have ended up like this:

We may have had a crash in seratonin. Menstrual cycles, stress, small cheats, boredom and loneliness and other health factors may play havoc with the seratonin in our body and make us actually need a few carbs to even things out. yet we also know it is virtually impossible to lose weight without forgoing the sweets and the bread. If we don't eventually find a way to satisfy our needs for more seratonin, I think many of us found it harder to stick with the more restrictive program.

Not to advocate this diet as any sort of weight loss plan, Potatoes not Prozac but the science is eye opening:

http://www.radiantrecovery.com/potato_qna.htm

I would think that the CAD/CALP program would be a happy medium between the low-carb and the seratonin needs many of us have. It would make sense that it would lead to success by simply enabling us to stick to low-carb for a longer time (life!) than the other plans. We win by longevity if nothing else. What do you think?

I think you are on to something many Thanks.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-17, 13:20

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

I do not follow CAD/CALP, so I am not very familiar with it. However, strict LC causes me to have episodes of extreme moodiness, so years ago, another LC'er recommended I read Potatoes Not Prozac. a little pumpkin or potato before bedtime made a huge difference!

Now that I'm diabetic, I don't want those bedtime carbs, so I take 5-HTP (a seratonin precursor) a couple of times a week and get the same affect. I know if I start getting irrationally upset, it's time for some 5-HTP!

So it totally makes sense why some added carbs work well for some people.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-10-18, 18:43

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycie14
I do not follow CAD/CALP, so I am not very familiar with it. However, strict LC causes me to have episodes of extreme moodiness, so years ago, another LC'er recommended I read Potatoes Not Prozac. a little pumpkin or potato before bedtime made a huge difference!

Now that I'm diabetic, I don't want those bedtime carbs, so I take 5-HTP (a seratonin precursor) a couple of times a week and get the same affect. I know if I start getting irrationally upset, it's time for some 5-HTP!

So it totally makes sense why some added carbs work well for some people.

5HTP is a lifesaver!!!!

Reading Dr Amens book Healing ADD helped me see why my son , and me, had big irrational swings. Sertonin too low. 5HTP is a daily pill for my son. For me when I can afford, or when I am slipping emotionally.

I am revisiting CAD.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-18, 20:31

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

ps. Adding st johns wort to the 5 HTP makes a higher push of seratonin.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-20-20, 04:03

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi folks! Bumping this.
When I eat enough carbs in the RM I have no need for supplements anymore. My happy hormons last till the next RM as long as I follow CAD/CALP. (therefore my name Happy Girl)

It is important that I have enough carbs in the RM or else I can't go 23 h. till the next. If I follow CALP only I feel unsatisfied. CAD + CALP though works for me, like for many.

Fine tuning is important.

Love/HG

Last edited by Happy girl : Sun, Dec-20-20 at 08:23.