Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Vegetarian Low Carbers
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 12:27
Registered Member

Plan: N/A
Stats: // Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Vegans and Low carb

Hey. I've actually decided to eliminate wheat from my diet. I now subsist off of soy, vegetables, and fruit. It feels great to eat peanuts and soybeans without worrying about thier fat content. I'd like fellow vegans/vegetarians also following a low carb diet to post in response. Although some people are questioning my sanity whilst reading this I have changed a lot of my former opinions. I suppose the biggest obstacle is watching attractive people eating thier bran muffins and organic bread. Another contention I'd like to touch on is the diet restrictions for different blood types. Apparently type 'O' the most ancient, is found primarily in aboriginals and Northern Europeans. These people are best to obstain from large amounts of carbs,which also partially explains the diabetes epidemic among such ethnicities. Other blood types can incorporate higher amounts of carbs in to their diets. Does anyone contend that whole grains will alter genetics in acceptable way over time? In terms of pollution caused by factory farming and less available land in general is it feasible that everyone can follow the program? Will 3rd, 4th, and 5th world countries ever be able to change their intake of rice/beans/potatoes in favour of protein? And finally, will the intense labour so instrumental in the lives of much poorer people mitigate any deleterious effects carbs may have, and ultimately create a healthy individual? Any insights appreciated as I'm notorious for having conflicting opinions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-04, 13:43

Plan: My own, post Atkins
Stats: 180/131/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 123%

Hi, your post has left me confused on a number of points. And what was your overall thesis to your observations? By the way, i haven't been vegetarian for years, and vegan for even longer. Don't worry, I still respect those diets.

"does anyone contend that whole grains will alter genetics..."
-Under what scientific basis do you ask this question???

"...is it feasible that everyone can follow the program?"
-What program are you referring to??

-No, 3rd, 4th, & 5th world countries will most probably NOT be able to do that. They would have to become stable in their economies & governments first, along with a whole bunch of other changes. Basically, no, these people will not be able to subsist on an expensive diet, not without relinquishing their status as 3rd, 4th, & 5th world.

- By "intense labour" do you mean their factory jobs? Or the intense farm work they already do?? These people are not being hurt by carbs the same way people in the U.S. are. They are STARVING, and POOR, and eat to survive. They are not going to ultimately become "a healthy individual," because not only their diet, but their Lives lack so many of the physical and social implementations that cornerstone true "health." In other words, carbs are the least of their problems. At least some of them HAVE food.

And, by the way, take a look at Japanese (or Chinese, or Indian,) nourishment in history. Mainly carbs and Fish. But mainly rice. They did not start getting fatter and unhealthier, as a nation, until this last century, with the import of HIGHLY refined sugars and flours. They were healthy before with their balanced, carbohydrate based diets because, yes, they didn't sit around all day.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 07:12
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Personally, I don't buy the blood type diet. I have never seen any scientific data that supports it at all.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 08:03
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

According to the blood-type diet, I'm supposed to lose best on high-carb..
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 09:52

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

As far as man's genetics altering as a result of eating carbs, it is possible that carbs could have an effect on selection over the course of millenia. I rather think that man will figure out what is already in his best interest, long before this though.

I, too, think the blood type diet has no basis in science.

As far as wondering if the world's population can all go low carb, that is an interesting question. It would certainly require a big change in the way we produce food. More meat, more vegetables, less grain. The grain grown would primarily be used to feed animals. A key will be to utilize animals that efficiently convert available plant matter (grass and/or grain) to meat. I'm not sure that cattle are the most efficient converters. Maybe sheep, goats and pigs.

We are genetically adapted to eat meat, its been a big part of our diet for hundreds of thousands of years. By choosing to be Vegan, you are bucking the system so to speak. By choosing to be a low carb Vegan, you are putting additional constraints on yourself. I wish you well, just be aware of your health and don't make yourself sick for the sake of not hurting animals. The animals you are saving are getting eaten by other creatures or dying of disease. Nothing goes to waste in Nature, and animals rarely live so long as to die of old age. Nothing inherently sad or unjust about that, it is quite normal.

Last edited by tom sawyer : Fri, Dec-03-04 at 10:04.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 10:54
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

We are genetically adapted to be omnivores.

There are many people on this forum who don't eat meat and low carb at the same time and are perfectly healthy. I am one. The only thing about being vegan is the lack of B12 that comes from animal products (which is one reason I am an ovo-lacto). That lack can lead to pernicious anemia. You can get supplimentation, but it has an animal source.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 11:15

Plan: Atkins-like
Stats: 215/170/170 Male 70
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, we are omnivores. Which means that we are adapted to eat meat and plants. When you choose not to eat meat for whatever reason, you are changing your diet away from that which you were adapted to eat. Not saying it can't be done, its just an extra challenge. And veganism is an even tougher way to go nutritionally. I've read plenty of vegetarian literature, I know that some people are successful but a signficant number of people do not thrive on such diets. I was just throwing out a word of caution. If I was to go vegetarian, I would certainly include eggs and dairy as you have done.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 11:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I suppose the biggest obstacle is watching attractive people eating thier bran muffins and organic bread.

LOL! Not such an obstacle if they're unattractive?

*sigh* I think that blood type thing is hog wash. Sorry. African and American indian descendants suffer from terrible, terrible carb releated diseases when they go to eating the standard diet. Even worse than european descendents maybe because they haven't been killing themselves off from the diet as long as we have. The Pima indians are the classic case of a race that suffers horribly from a high carb diet.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-11-04, 09:35
Registered Member

Plan: N/A
Stats: // Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

In terms of evolutionarily appropriate diets, one could argue that meat and not soy ( or whatever similar vegan meat alternative ) is more 'true' to the body. The problem is cheap high-carb foods are abundant in poorer countries, well, because they are cheap. With billions of people living with no income, and very little fertile land, farming lean meat, or any consistent meat is very difficult. Since these cheap high-carb foods have essentially prevented starvation, they did/do have their place although I agree a less healthy one. Rainforests and farms that are not family run, pump massive amounts pollution into our environment and are now used just to support fast food chains nevermind a 5th world country. So from my evolutionary perspective ( i.e. one that is to continue the process )a diet based on fruit, vegetables, and a meat alternative such as soy is the way to go.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-12-04, 23:02

Plan: Rosedale Diet
Stats: 179/175/120 Female 62.5 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default working at low carb veganism

Hi, No -

I'm strict vegetarian (no meat, no dairy) and just recently (2 weeks ago) went low carb for some endocrine problems. I've had some glitchy days in my eating, but usually that was due to boredom and not having as many options as carnivores do in this diet.

I understand that vegetarianism doesn't lend itself to low carbing. I mean, we've given up so many dietary "staples" that we have few things left. But I have to confess, I feel good on this diet, and certainly not deprived. I'm eating a lot of salads, cooked veggies, soy "meats," tofu and nuts. I even threw out a wonderful homemade veggie pizza (made with soy cheese and homemade whole wheat crust) because I didn't crave it.

I'm too new to give you any pointers, but there are some wonderfully supportive people on this site who will.

Good luck!
VeggyKaren