Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-22-12, 21:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 149.6/143/130 Female 170cm
BF:Stats not updated
Progress: 34%
Default And now eating total crap - so disappointed and upset

My Dad was overweight his whole life. In 2005 he saw a BBC program "Diet Trials" and started what he perceived as an Atkins type regime without even reading the book. He lost a tremendous amount of weight and kept it off, this is how I was introduced to L\C, this forum and bought and read multiple books that I gave him to read too. He kept the weight off only drifting slightly back when he moved to a retirement home with my Mom (over-weight, believes in a "balanced diet"). In May he was diagnosed with a growth in his pancreas and underwent the Whipple procedure. This procedure includes the removal of portions of the pancreas, liver, stomach, diadem, the gall blather and the connective tubes and reconnecting everything lower down. The procedure went well and his recovery has been good. His growth was diagnosed as stage 2 cancer. Nothing was found in the biopsies of the surrounding tissue or lymph nodes or anywhere else. It was decided on 5 months of chemotherapy, 3 weeks of chemo and one week off. He has the most horrible side effects, including fever for the first few days; tiredness, extreme swelling of the feet, up to the point that he cannot walk, and just a lack of motivation to do anything. He has no appetite and digestion problems and is losing lots of weight. His Dr's tell him to be concerned with weight loss, so his new motto is the he can eat what ever he wants. My mother is only too happy he is finally off that L\C diet and now they are eating total processed crap. She has gained lots of weight and he is still losing. I try to tell him that this is the last thing he needs, but he so associates L\C with weight loss it makes no sense to him that there would be nutritional value for his body for high quality food. I tried to tell him that upping the carbs does not mean eating total crap. He eats fewer vegetables because his stomach being smaller has less room for bulky foods. He eats less fats (I gave them coconut oil but they don't use it) because it causes nausea. My mother is only too pleased to feed him low fat cheeses and crackers. Before all of this, we used to be bewildered by the cancer patients that would not go off sugar in the German research even though this is what probably causes cancer growth.
Now I really don't know what to do, I am so disappointed and upset.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 05:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I am sorry to hear of your Dad's troubles and how frustrated you are by the situation. I am a cancer survivor who did swear off all sugar, but made the mistake of going to a high carb vegetarian for a few years, before I came to my senses. Reading more about how grain carbs can promote the insulin repsonse similar to sugar was what finally convinced me to do an about face with my diet. Not sure how open he will be to more information but here are some new resources that help me explain when asked for reasons for my decision:

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource....ses-cancer.html (video good here in link)
http://www.cavemandoctor.com/category/cancer/
http://www.drbriffa.com/2011/11/29/...ment-of-cancer/ (search his site for more cancer posts)
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-23-12, 17:48

Thank you so much, I now have multiple tabs open and will explore everything. I think that he has no idea what to eat now, and that he associates L\C with weight loss. He is very concerned with his weight loss and this worries him a lot. He might also enjoy eating as he likes after a lifetime of dieting and weigh gain concerns. Also my mother is probably only too pleased to feed him a "balanced diet", she was always against L\C, she is one of the ones who have been properly brainwashed and might be convinced temporarily. He now has a hard time with fats and I am sure he doesn't know what to do about that. His smaller stomach makes him eat multiple times a day non bulky foods. His swollen feet don't allow him to get out of the chair, and his lack of motivation doesn't allow him to do much else. I am just hoping this is all temporary till the chemo is over in 3-4 months.
Thanks for the links, he has a PhD in biochemistry so I am sure he will find them interesting, if he has motivation enough to read them through.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-12, 16:10

I was e-mailed that "ElmaStark has just replied" but for some reason I can't see the reply.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-12, 18:04
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondacop
I was e-mailed that "ElmaStark has just replied" but for some reason I can't see the reply.

Because ElmaStark was a spammer, and his/her/its post has been removed.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-08-12, 18:39

Oh, thank you, that is the last thing I needed, good for you!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-09-12, 06:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks and cheers to all the moderators on this board for quickly weeding out spam and keeping threads organized. And they are all very nice people to boot!

How is your Dad doing? Did he find any of the information linked of help? If he read it, that is. I can completely understand information overload when facing cancer. Sometimes I just had to back away from the computer, stop reading the books and take a breather to center myself. A new article on carb restriction and cancer was recently published, as well as the very interesting video from the recent Metabolism and Diet conference he mentions.

http://rdfeinman.wordpress.com/2012...te-restriction/

http://www.biomedcentral.com/series...mdietanddisease