Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 15:55

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%
Default Arg!!

Yes that is my signal of disgust! My mother has been on a modified version of "South Beach" for almost 2 years. She hasn't really lost much though her blood sugar has been more stable. She did it as a last ditch effort before she was put on Insulin.

Well.. the "ARG" part comes in because now that I am doing Atkins, she continues to "preach" to me that I should be eating whole grains and that it is OKAY to have brown rice and stuff. ~ I can't seem to get it through her stubborn head that I am on a different plan then she is, and she is not really following the one she is supposed to be. I am just glad I dont have to deal with her doing cooking ~ as I have a family of my own, but she seems to think her way is best.

DRIVES ME CRAZY! BTW~ I think i am back on track for those who have been following my recent "blah blah" posts!! I bought the Relion strips and I am definately in ketosis! Woohoo!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 16:03

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 136/118/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Ask her if she would be so kind as to read the book and highlight everything that she sees as dangerous about this way of eating. Then tell her you will sit down with her and discuss what she has highlighted AFTER she is done reading the whole book. That should give you some time to drop even MORE weight! That'll show her!!!

Good luck and hang in there!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 19:44

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 260/255/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didy
Ask her if she would be so kind as to read the book and highlight everything that she sees as dangerous about this way of eating. Then tell her you will sit down with her and discuss what she has highlighted AFTER she is done reading the whole book.

Good answer!! PLUS since she is not really following "her" plan--maybe she can learn some additional knowledge and help herself at the same time. Ignorance can often be corrected with increased understanding. Keep at it and glad your back at it!! Look forward on seeing your continued success
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-07, 21:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

my mother in law LOVES south beach, she goes on about it, how she's eating that way, pretty much...only she doesn't do the induction and she still eats desert everytime I'm there. I was so nervous telling her about what I'm doing. But then she was totally fine with it. Turns out she's read several books on the subject, and she passed along "sugar busters" to me. It's a good read. See if you could get your mom to read that one as well. I'm half way through, and so far it seems like they really advocate for ridding the body of stored sugars. I don't think they're huge fans of daily grain consumption either.

Your mom probably lives too firmly in "the four food groups" propaganda we were all handed as kids...I revert to it myself when cooking for the kids. It takes a revolution to help someone in that world realize that grains are bad.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-07, 07:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/158/135 Female 5'6
BF:39/34/20%
Progress: 26%

I think that is an intial reaction. I originally thought that atkins was "bad" for a person due to misinformation and not reading anything about it. Once I got informed, I gave it a try and LOVE it. Also, with the weight I have lost other people have expressed interest in doing it, but I think most want to do it as a diet and it is a way of life, if you want to keep weight off.

When we are taught something our whole life, we have to have something strongly impact our life generally to change.