Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/165/172 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 128%
Default Forced to eat carbs!!!

Has anyone else ever given blood? I gave blood today and had a long discussion with the well meaning lady at the discharge area, as to why I didn't want a COOKIE. I agreed to have a few pretzels and some water, or they weren't going to let me leave. I know they don't want you to pass out, but isn't there something else we as low carbers could eat???
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 14:29
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

I've taken LC crackers that I've made w/ almond flour & flaxmeal and a bottle of crystal light orange sunrise. I don't let them make me eat anything I don't want to. They're a bit pushy about that sometimes so I've learned to take my own snack.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 14:39

Plan: Meat Only
Stats: 200/169.6/175 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 122%

Take some almonds. I like string cheese after giving blood, too.

That said, the reason people get dizzy after giving blood is not low blood sugar, it's low blood pressure. Drink some water to get the BP back up and you'll be fine.

I get to argue with the carb pushers each time, too, but I'm never "forced" to eat carbs. I'd like to see them not let me leave. I can't eat their carby junk anyway, since I'm gluten intolerant and they never have anything that doesn't have wheat in it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 16:05

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

That's silly.
I've never had anyone be pushy about that.

Next time, try one of these
Those aren't kosher. (They won't be, and the fact that you don't keep kosher is a completely different discussion.)
They contain gluten.
I'm on a special medically supervised diet.
I'm diabetic.
No, thanks, I brought my own/I have stuff in the car.
No, thank you, I'm leaving now. (no need to let them bully you. They're hardly going to hold you down or call the cops.)

Thanks for reminding me. I'm overdue to donate. My local blood bank sucks for call backs.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 17:24
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

There's only about half a gram of sugar in a pint of blood. You lose a lot more protein in that pint than sugar. Why don't they offer protein snacks instead?

Wyv
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 17:24
Registered Member

Plan: modified atkins per doc
Stats: 261/239/150 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 20%

Wow...I donate regularly and our drive always has plenty of cheese, meat, and raw veggies available in addition to the cookies, cake, pizza, sandwiches, and so on. I always just eat the cheese, meat, and some raw broccoli and cauliflower.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 17:59
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Was this the first time you've given blood? I assume you didn't know about the snack afterward or you'd have brought your own? Still, you can always refuse anything. What are they going to do, put you in restraints? You can refuse lifesaving treatment in a hospital and they can't FORCE you to take it. You can walk out AMA and they can't stop you. My point is that no one can make you eat anything you don't want to. But a few pretzels isn't going to be the end of your plan, so don't sweat it!

Last edited by ElleH : Thu, Oct-19-06 at 18:20.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-19-06, 21:24
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I go for their small cans of juce, V8 that is, and lots of water then I eat some sunflower seeds or walnuts I bring with me. I seldom eat breakfast anymore. I did get a bit dizzy last time though while shopping, I will be careful for at least 45 minutes after donation from now on.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-20-06, 04:48

Plan: Low GI
Stats: 220/214/145 Female 67
BF:yes, I admit it
Progress: 8%

Make sure you are well hydrated before you go so that you don't get dizzy. Then consent to a drink afterwards, to replace blood volume. Make it water, not their favorite, OJ! If you don't act or look faint they won't nag you so much about consuming something sugary. You have to understand that they see people get faint all the time, and they don't want to have to pick someone up off the floor!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-20-06, 06:40
Registered Member

Stats: 197/165/172 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 128%

Thank you all for your advice. This was not my first time giving blood, only my first time as a low carber giving blood. Please understand, I am no shrinking violet, but this blood drive was held at my church, and the ladies pushing the carbs were elder members, and I felt pressured to "play along". I never knew it was dehydration that caused people to be faint. I always assumed it was low blood sugar, that's why they always pushed sugar. Now that I know, I will bring a stick of cheese and stick with water!!! Thanks agian.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-20-06, 07:47

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
There's only about half a gram of sugar in a pint of blood. You lose a lot more protein in that pint than sugar. Why don't they offer protein snacks instead?

Wyv

Old thinking is why. It is funny how some in the medical and health professions are some of the last to embrace a truth....
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-21-06, 12:24

Plan: CALP, CAD
Stats: 330/318/145 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Those Ladies are only volunteers, and they can't make you eat anything..............I mean what are they going to do.....call the Police? You can leave whenever yiu want to. I worked for American Red Cross, I'm an LPN who was on the payroll.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Oct-22-06, 19:39
Registered Member

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 96%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mel*
Has anyone else ever given blood? I gave blood today and had a long discussion with the well meaning lady at the discharge area, as to why I didn't want a COOKIE. I agreed to have a few pretzels and some water, or they weren't going to let me leave. I know they don't want you to pass out, but isn't there something else we as low carbers could eat???
When I gave blood I had an Atkins bar I brought with me. Just bring something with you.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-06, 10:46

Stats: 185/158/145 Female 5' 5 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Eat and drink lots of water before you give next time. And bring water with you and drink that afterwards. I've been giving blood for more years than I can count, and recently when asked if I'd like something to drink, I asked for water.

Just pass on the juice and sweets if offered.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-06, 17:52

Plan: to take over de world
Stats: 184/153.8/153 Female 5'10"
BF:D
Progress: 97%

Last time I went, I was happily surprised to see my center offered little bags of almonds!!