Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 08:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/135/125 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Sushi Lovers?

How do I make sushi still a part of my life? What do you order?

Salmon and Tuna are my favorites - I've thought about ordering a spicy tuna and spicy salmon handroll just made with a lot of the spicy fish mixture and no rice...would that work? That creamy, spicy stuff is a mayo and spice mixture, right?

Thanks for your help.

I tried a sashimi salad last week and thought it was boring. It was a bed of greens with bite sized all kinds of fish and the dressing was a soy based bore. Blah.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 10:13

Plan: wholesome foods
Stats: 139/130/125 Female 5'7"
BF:?
Progress: 64%

I actually had sushi last night. Well, I order sashimi, but I actually love it since the rice did nothing for me but hide the yummy taste of the fresh fish. I always dip it in jap. mayo (spicy), chile sauce, lobster based cream sauce, spicy\bacon mustard sauce, or I take wasabi and mix it in my lite soy sauce...make my own concoction. I also order wrinkled green beens (chile sauce on side, chinese brocoli, or seaweed salad. We have yummy lobster dumplings that we order (my SO and I share). They don't close the top off so I can lift the stuffing right out of the dumpling if I wish. We get sauteed calamari too. We always order a bunch of small things and do our own thing with it. Most restaurants will make things how ever you request. So if you want the roll without the rice they should be able to accomodate you. I eat sushi at least twice a week
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 10:23

BF:

Thanks for your response! I really do like the fish on its own, but I didn't like the dressing i got when I ordered it on a salad and it was take-out, so I was SOL.

I think I'll go sit at the sushi bar over lunch sometime this week and ask them for ideas. A fat spicy tuna handroll without rice sounds delicious.

Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 12:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I like sashimi too. I mix wasabi in soy sauce and soak my sashimi in that. Very yum. I have heard that sushi bars have ways of making low-carb sushi, but I've never asked. You might just ask!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 23:45

Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:have no idea
Progress: 89%

I ABSOLUTELY ADORE SUSHI. I eat it once a week at least. Here is what I order:

1. Any kind of roll you like, but ask them to wrap it in cucumber instead of rice... at the restaurant I go to, they have one on the menu called "Naruto Maki.."

2. Order any kind of "hand roll" you like, but ask for it sans rice.

3. Sashimi is one of my favorites... try the hamachi- it has a really good, different distinctive flavor, almost butter-like.

4. Sea weed salad YUMMMMMMMM

5. Smoked squid salad

6. Yakatori chicken skewers (although these may have tereyaki (sp) which has some sugar in it)

7. Hawaiian Poki salad

I used to work in a sushi restaurant, so I tried all this and experimented a lot. Bon Appetite!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Nov-07-05, 23:56

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/175/158 Female 5'10"
BF:I am 5'10" tall
Progress: 57%

What is Sushi? is it raw fish? thx
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 12:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sushi is often raw fish, but it doesn't have to be raw. There are cooked sushi's too. Its usually wrapped in rice and held in place with a piece of seaweed paper stuff that is kind of crunchy.

Its excellent stuff.

Here's a question for the sushi experts. Do they add soy sauce to sushi? I know you dip it in, but I'm not eating wheat in any form and soy sauce has wheat in it. I have found some wheat free soy sauce, which I will use, but I'm not sure if they add soy to the rolls. Anyone know?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 13:35

BF:

Depends on if you order one of the more exotic rolls, but regular sushi is just fish, a touch of wasabi and then rice (if you weren't LC) and seawood and any other named ingredients (i.e. avocado, cucumber, etc.) Shouldn't be any soy sauce from the start.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Nov-08-05, 13:52

Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:have no idea
Progress: 89%

Nearly any kind of sushi that has sauce drizzled over it, contains soy sauce. All you have to do is tell them you're not eating soy sauce, and I'm sure they can leave it out.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-25-05, 08:01
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

One of my favorite dishes to order when I do Sushi is "Kanisu." It's a cold Japanese appetizer. It's a roll, and they roll it in THIN cucumber strips. It usually has shrimp and avocado and instead of soy sauce, they put seasoned rice vinegar on top, and sprinkle it with sesame seeds. I love it. It was a good find!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-05, 09:06

Plan: Atkins/M&E
Stats: 165/127.1/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 76%

Ah, sashimi! All the way!

Wanna hear how bad I am? K . . . yrs ago, my then-boss was going to do my yearly review/raise. He always took his underlings out for lunch or dinner at his exclusive member-only place for the review to go over all that stuff and then charge it to the company. He was in a hurry and told me to set something up, and to make sure I picked a place that was on his way home. Anything I wanted! Sssssssucka. Well, there was my favorite Japanese restaurant right on the way! I had all sorts of sushi/sashimi ordered before they even brought the menus out. He got the bill . . . I cost about $100+ . . . .maybe even $150. I managed to keep my job and still got the raise. But he swore he'd never let me pick a place ever again.

Shyeah, like it's my fault he didn't know I was a sashimi junky.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-04-05, 08:27

BF:

I'm getting hooked on tuna, yellowtail and fresh salmon sashimi and top it off with a riceless spicy tuna roll...mmmmmmmmm. Thank you guys for helping me see I can still have sushi! My husband was hoping this expense would go away....NOPE Ha!