Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-28-04, 23:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/215/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default I just don't understand it

I just don't understand how the keto stick can be purple (the 80's) and the metallic taste in my mouth is way strong but I'm not losing any weight? I have to be in ketosis, right? Yesterday I goofed on my carbs, I ate about 45, but this is the first time. I'm going to try on a pair of "mini goal" shorts that I bought, but I really don't think I've lost inches.

I'm frustrated. If it would just move a pound or two. The woosh fairy doesn't need to rush. I'll be patient and wait for her.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 00:10

Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

How long has it been since you've lost weight? Sounds like ketosis to me.

Do you keep a log of your food at FitDay? What's a typical day's menu like? And yes, you could be losing inches not pounds.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 02:10

BF:

I just started my log at fitday a few days ago. I think 3. My fitday link is public. Yesterday is the first day I cheated and like I said, I didn't go really overboad. Not like I would have a month ago. I tried on the goal short and they don't fit any better. I'm gonna stick with it. I promised myself I would stick with it for 6 weeks. If no results by then I just don't think I'll be able to do it.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 06:09

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Haveyou been measuring your body?
Are you losing inches?
Also you can be in Ketosis and eat too many calories. How many calories are you eating a day?
Jag
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 06:12
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthrmayi2
I just started my log at fitday a few days ago. I think 3. My fitday link is public. Yesterday is the first day I cheated and like I said, I didn't go really overboad. Not like I would have a month ago. I tried on the goal short and they don't fit any better. I'm gonna stick with it. I promised myself I would stick with it for 6 weeks. If no results by then I just don't think I'll be able to do it.

You can do this. Don't you give up now. Your not gonna lose everyday or every week for that matter, you have to hang in there.

Get rid of those damn sticks you don't need to spend money on that. What for to feel the way you do now when you look at them and go, then why am I not losing.

Take measurements and hang in there. If you give up, you'll never know if you could have made it.

We are here for you. But you have to stick around in order to receive the support.

Don't make me come down there girl.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 06:16
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Being in ketosis dosn't necessarily mean you will lose weight. As Jag said you could be eating too many calories, maybe not - you won't lose weight every single day even if you are in ketosis and you can lose weight without being in ketosis. Also the sticks can turn purple showing a false ketosis if you have a lot of fat - it can be excreted in the urine which will turn the sticks purple as will drinking alcohol while eating few carbs. If everyone in ketosis lost weight - this board would be full of skinny skinny people.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 07:13

Stats: 265/222/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 45%

I looked at your FitDay menu. Everything looks pretty good except yesterday. Planter's Cheese Curls? Oops! Everyday is a new day though and a new opportunity.

I see alot of processed meats on there like sausages, slim jims, hot dogs. You might want to limit your serving of a sausage type item to once a day and try to eat whole meats like chicken breasts, steak, roast beef, etc. Also watch the deli meats - ask for the carb count. Some are processed with sugars. And it looks like you are only eating 1 cup of veggies a day. Remember 3 cups is minimum. You need the fiber and nutrients!!!

Good luck to you! The scale will move again - don't lose heart!

Vicki B.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 07:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

A lot of the foods you're eating are pretty high in salt. Foods high in salt will make you hold water and mask your fat loss. Try dropping them for a week and see what happens.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 07:26

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:

I'm convinced eating more veggies is not only good for you, it helps you lose.

Another thing to think about it that weight control is usually a rest-of-your-life type of issue. If crash diets worked none of us would be here, would we?

If you are feeling deprived, maybe you should eat more healthy things, start thinking long term, and not obsess about results. I know it's hard to do. But it's the only way you will be sitting here next year, enthusing about how well you've done.

Instead of sitting somewhere feeling terrible about the goals you've set and how you've missed them.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 15:39

BF:

Thanks for all your words of wisdom and support everyone. I'm sitting here thinking about what has been said and this is what I've decided.

First off, I should not have even had the cheese curls in the house for the kids. I need to keep temptations like that out of the house atleast for now. Plus, the kids can do without them. Second, I need to think of something else to keep me busy when I feel like emotional eatting. I was stressed out about not seeing any results so I cheated and all that did was set me back further. I need to drink more water. So, to make me do that I am not going to allow myself any other type of beverage till I've had my 8 glasses of water. I will limit the salty and processed foods to see if that works. I'm not eatting enough during the day so when I sit down to do my fitday at night I see that I've only eatten like 1000 calories and then I panic because I'm not eatting enough so I choose convenience foods which aren't always good choices. I need to eat a little more during the day so I'm not playing catch up at night.

Well, tomorrow is a new day and I'm going to wake up positive and focus. If those of you who check my fitday today could check back next week to see if I've done any better I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks buches
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 16:30
Honoured to be here

Plan: atkins
Stats: 302/263/210 Male 6' 1"
BF:
Progress: 42%

good on ya mate, you hang in there...

i'm a bit confused about the ketostix comment above tho, coz i thought that if you were deep purple then this meant you were doing the biz, maybe not, i don't have the experience to argue but mine are always deep purple, and altho i haven't cheated once, i'm not as strict as many on here, and still seem to be losing, either inches or pounds...

sorry, maybe i should explain my "not as strict" comment, what i mean is that i'm having things that many dont recommend, like sugar free mints and chewy containing polyols, the occasional "frankenfoods" (very seldom tho), and am not having my 3 cups of veggies a day (sorry, feel bad about this), altho i AM having a lot of my carbs in the veg i DO like (tomatoes, mushrooms, small amounts of onions etc..)

i think that you have to find a happy medium between sticking to this WOL and NOT restricting your life too much, for those of us who work all day (including stay at home mums) and have evening family / social commitments it can be so difficult to eat properly, but i think that it is possible to do this no matter what your circumstances, even if it means not doing it to the letter..

you can still bend the rules a little WITHOUT cheating (my opinion guys, dont hang me for this comment - please)

oh, on a positive note, i AM drinking my water

all the best, please dont anyone be offended by my comments, they are meant in the best possible way..

Tony
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 16:38

Stats: 227/227/175 Female 5'6"
BF:

I totally agree with adkpam and Karen. Up your veggies and stay away from the processed meat for a while to see if this makes a difference. As well, not for me, but others have posted that too much cheese for some causes slow wt loss.

Seems like you have taken the comments and thought things out yourself. Keep you calories around the 1600 mark, eat more during the day and one great a suggestion is to not eat after say 6 o'clock. I'm trying 8 o'clock.

good luck! keep on it!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 16:45
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Tony.. You do have one unfair advantage. Men tend to lose MUCH more easily than women, and can get away with a few more minor transgressions.

I agree about eating more veggies and watching the sodium. I LOVE Slim Jims and bacon, but they don't love me. (apologies to the men) They make me retain more water than the Hoover dam, especially close to that TOM.

<sigh>
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 17:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/gastric bypass
Stats: 278/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Ive never once used the Keto sticks. If you not cheating and using the plan you will go into Ketosis. You dont need to worry about it. Watch your salt, drink your water, and exercise. The scale will move if you are doing what the book says. If you dont have the book its priceless! I have read and reread mine. And keeping my hands busy keeps me from cheating. I crochet. Its hard to stuff your face with yarn and crochet hook in your hands. I dont allow myself coffee or tea or soda until all the water is in. I also "penalize" myself if I open the frig just bored and looking I have to drink a glass of water. If I dont exercise that day I have to drink 5 extra glasses. It helps! Good luck to you
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 17:37
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%

wooooooooo Hugabye you got STRATEGY