Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-22, 10:03

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Why it’s time to cut bread and potatoes from your diet

Quote:
Why it’s time to cut bread and potatoes from your diet

Most people in their 30s are on way to developing Type 2 diabetes, but reducing carbohydrates could drastically lower the risk, says expert

Cutting carbohydrates such as bread and potatoes to just 10 per cent of your diet could stop people from developing Type 2 diabetes, an expert has advised.

Prof Joan Taylor, from De Montfort University, warned that most people were already on their way to developing diabetes by their 30s, but said simple changes in eating habits could stave off the deadly condition.

Current NHS guidance recommends that carbohydrates should make up just over a third of a balanced diet, but Prof Taylor said that was too high.

Speaking at the British Science Festival, she said that cutting food such as bread and potatoes could result in people losing weight - a good thing for reducing the risk of Type 2 diabetes and returning glucose levels to normal.

The professor of pharmaceutics said: “Bearing in mind that the NHS recommendation is about 35 per cent, if you can cut it down to 10 per cent then not only will you lose weight, which is a good thing for metabolic syndrome and Type 2, but your blood glucose comes down to normal.”

'Most people are at risk'
According to Diabetes UK, in 2021 some 4.1 million people were living with a diagnosis of any type of diabetes. An additional 850,000 had undiagnosed Type 2 diabetes.

Prof Taylor said many people in their 30s are beginning to put on weight and trigger metabolic syndrome, the medical term for a combination of diabetes, high blood pressure and obesity.

She added: “Most people are at risk. It's only the slim, athletic types that stay like that into their 30s and 40s that are not. That's an amazing thing, really.”

Diabetes UK reports that, if nothing changes, 5.5 million people in the UK will have diabetes by 2030.

The charity has estimated that one in three adults in the UK have pre-diabetes, which means their blood glucose levels are above normal but below the threshold for a diabetes diagnosis.

About 90 per cent of people with diabetes have Type 2, and around eight per cent have Type 1 diabetes. About two per cent have rarer types of diabetes.

National anti-obesity strategy under review
NHS England has suggested that the service spends around £10 billion a year on diabetes - around 10 per cent of its entire budget.

Research has shown that for some people, diet, physical activity and sustained weight loss can be effective in reducing the risk of Type 2 diabetes by about 50 per cent.

The Government is currently reviewing its anti-obesity strategy for England, which may include a ban on television advertising of junk food before 9pm and multi-buy deals.

A recent Cancer Research UK report estimated that if trends continue, by 2040 more than 21 million UK adults will be obese - a rise of more than six million on current figures.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-diabetes-risk/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-22, 12:49

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Bread? Potatoes?

I have teenagers......and yes, my endless push to low carb has little effect given the lure of convenience "foods" . Sadly I see farm too many wrappers piled on table next to their beds.

Then s started as they spent more time out in the work world.....and less at home or at school.

See the pattern??

Where access to food is limited, they are good whole foods. Now? It's what grabs thier attention.

I'd be happy if it was a baked potato or a roast beef sandwich.....the battle here is prepackaged junk .

I'm ready to ban this slow death food.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-22, 12:57

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Telling people that whole wheat is not healthy would be a start!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-22, 18:32

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Telling people that whole wheat is not healthy would be a start!
And they need to stop telling people that cereals like Froot Loops are "Heart Healthy"!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-22, 06:01

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
“Bearing in mind that the NHS recommendation is about 35 per cent, if you can cut it down to 10 per cent then not only will you lose weight, which is a good thing for metabolic syndrome and Type 2, but your blood glucose comes down to normal.”

And how many people are eating only 35% now? 10% seems ridiculously low to expect people to shoot for.

I've been losing weight - 60+ lbs so far - eating 35% carbs in the last 6 months.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-22, 06:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

All the conflicting information is deadly to those who don't understand how to research.

I like to joke that all I got out of my bachelors degree was my husband, since I never actually worked in the field of my major. But it did teach me critical analysis skills. How to read a paper, how to know when a paper is not doing the math right, and where to go if it's beyond my knowledge.