Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#106   ^
Old Mon, Jun-30-03, 23:15

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%
Default Source Yogourt in Canada

Source yogourt in Canada is sweetened with Splenda and is delicious!!! It is fat free as well...but it seems the fat doesn't seem to affect it.

Thanks!
Natascha
Sponsored Links
  #107   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 12:31

Plan: Insulin Resistance Diet
Stats: 184/149/125 Female 5'0"
BF:
Progress: 59%

I absolutely love Brown Cow! It's the best yogurt I've ever had, especially with the cream top.

Ever since discovering these natural yogurts, I won't eat Dannon or other brands. They all have pectin and modified food starch. In my experience, they all have higher carbs than the yogurts that just have milk. Plus, I hate that gelatinous texture to them. I like my yogurt smooth and creamy, not jello-like jiggly.
  #108   ^
Old Mon, Aug-18-03, 19:54

Plan: Atkins / Isagenix/ IF
Stats: 282.5/210/160 Female 5'7
BF:71%/31.66%/20%
Progress: 59%

This thread has changed my WOL while on Atkins! Since reading it I have added yogurt back into my diet on a daily basis and ALL my cravings have gone away. I used to eat 2 cups a day for a chronic yeast problem and additional calcium. Now that I am back eating yogurt I am so happy

BTW I haven't tried the Brown Cow (is at my Whole Foods so will give it a try) but Trader Joes Whole Milk French Valley brand yogurt is cheap and great tasting. It also have 6 live cultures which is what makes it the best in my book!
  #109   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 06:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

I try to have my yogurt in 1/2 cup servings (sometimes two of them a day) to avoid any potential blood sugar increases. I make my own now... so I can control what goes into it - but previously I found StonyField Farms whole milk plain yogurt with cream on top - excellent.

I love yogurt cheese as well. YUMMY!
  #110   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 09:22
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
Trader Joes Whole Milk French Valley brand yogurt is cheap and great tasting.

The flavored ones usually have added sugar. Check the ingredient list carefully as well as the carb counts. I am learning to like Stoneyfield Farm Plain unsweetnened. It has 6 active cultures as well as something to help absorb calcium. It is also the lowest carb I've found at about 12-13 carb per cup (Don't have any on hand to check for sure)
  #111   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 10:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/182.5/145 Female 63 inches
BF:alot!
Progress: 50%
Default Sorry To Burst Your Bubble....

I too read about the amazing disappearing carbs in yogurt (in some of the previous articles listed) and I wondered if this were true?

So I wrote to the people at the Atkins center and asked them...see below:

---------------------------------------
"I have heard different opinions on whether or not yogurt is allowed on the Atkins diet, what kind is allowed and how to count the carbs (see http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html).

Some Atkins followers on several forums indicate that eating whole milk yogurt has definitely helped in their weight loss.

Just wondering what your opinion is on this...can we eat yogurt? Is it true about the "eating" of lactose so in fact carb counts are lower than indicated? Any suggestions on the best kind of yogurt to eat?"

And they replied:

Unfortunately, that is not true. The cultures break down lactose to glucose and galactose which allow those who are lactose intolerant to eat yogurt without discomfort. However, the full amount of sugar is still available. Yogurt along with most dairy products contain a relatively large amount of carbs. Cheese is used because the portion consumed is usually controlled. However, if one eats too much cheese they will exceed their carb levels.
Having said that about the carb count, we do not want to ignore the beneficial effect that the probiotics (beneficial bacteria) have on health. This can be obtained with a probiotic supplement . Our colon restoration formula is a good way to get these friendly bacteria without the carbs. If you really want to eat yogurt, you should select regular unflavored plain yogurt and control your portion size. You should include the carb count in your total daily intake and budget for it.

--------------------------------------
I too enjoy the Liberty Meditarenee brand once in a while (mixed with sf chocolate sauce), but I have been counting it as 4 grams per 1/2 cup serving...and I guess I will continue to do so (sigh....)..oh well.

Froufie
  #112   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 18:32
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb
Stats: 165/143/123 Female 159 cm
BF:29.2
Progress: 52%

Woohoo!!now i can have my unflavoured plain yoghurt!
  #113   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 19:16
Registered Member

Plan: low low carb
Stats: 142/146/148 Male 177
BF:?/?/22%
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froufie
I too read about the amazing disappearing carbs in yogurt (in some of the previous articles listed) and I wondered if this were true?

So I wrote to the people at the Atkins center and asked them...see below:

---------------------------------------
"I have heard different opinions on whether or not yogurt is allowed on the Atkins diet, what kind is allowed and how to count the carbs (see http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/yogurt.html).

Some Atkins followers on several forums indicate that eating whole milk yogurt has definitely helped in their weight loss.

Just wondering what your opinion is on this...can we eat yogurt? Is it true about the "eating" of lactose so in fact carb counts are lower than indicated? Any suggestions on the best kind of yogurt to eat?"

And they replied:

Unfortunately, that is not true. The cultures break down lactose to glucose and galactose which allow those who are lactose intolerant to eat yogurt without discomfort. However, the full amount of sugar is still available. Yogurt along with most dairy products contain a relatively large amount of carbs. Cheese is used because the portion consumed is usually controlled. However, if one eats too much cheese they will exceed their carb levels.
Having said that about the carb count, we do not want to ignore the beneficial effect that the probiotics (beneficial bacteria) have on health. This can be obtained with a probiotic supplement . Our colon restoration formula is a good way to get these friendly bacteria without the carbs. If you really want to eat yogurt, you should select regular unflavored plain yogurt and control your portion size. You should include the carb count in your total daily intake and budget for it.

--------------------------------------
I too enjoy the Liberty Meditarenee brand once in a while (mixed with sf chocolate sauce), but I have been counting it as 4 grams per 1/2 cup serving...and I guess I will continue to do so (sigh....)..oh well.

Froufie

It's so hard to separate the wheat from the chaff , even from the low carb experts. Anyway the the Atkins people are wrong on this one. The lactic bacteria only produce very small amounts of galactose and glucose. Depending on the strain of bacteria used most of the lactose (carb ) is consumed and a metabolite of that process is lactic acid which is what gives yoghurt it's sour taste. Some lactose is also converted to polysaccharides which are absorbed in the intestine, but not metabolized - like fructooligosaccharides (F.O.S.) so don't count as carbs. The Atkins people are still using the old data that measures carbohydrate levels by measuring the fibre , fat , protein and moisture, then assuming that what is left is carbohydrate. Get an independent lab to test some natural yoghurt - if you're in any doubt- for glucose and galactose. The lactic bacteria use up a lot of the carbohydrate energy of lactose in making lactic acid. It's a very efficient way of getting rid of metabolizable carbohydrate. Home made yoghurt is a much longer process than commercial yoghurt (time is money) and is usually has more lactic acid. The sourer it is, the less carbohydrate it contains. Really tart yoghurts have practically none.
Hope this helps
  #114   ^
Old Tue, Sep-07-04, 21:24
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

My favorite is Total Greek yogurt from Trader Joes. Very expensive. Next favorite is Trader Joe's brand of Greek Yogurt. Both are yummy.