Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-03, 21:26
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac???
Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Fascinated with the potassium/magnesium connection

I haven't been here in awhile.......I go off exploring from time to time, and then I slack off and when my pain gets bad enough.......I start looking for something REAL again. What I can say about this place is that it's the least offensive and expensive, yet most informative of all the online forums, and the low-carb diet is the only one that has ever made me feel appreciably different. But I digress--I am fascinated with peoples' remarks about the FM/CFS syndrome(s)....I've never gotten a firm label for mine, but the pain in my legs has me nearly immobilized, as I recently realized when I stopped taking the pain pills that controlled it. I intend to try potassium and magnesium, as I had never thought of this possibility....would like to hear more!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 11:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 142/130/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi Cimorene! I agree with you...this forum is very informative. The more we share, the more we will all get better.

Regarding magnesium, after lots of research, I started taking
magnesium & malic acid. It is sold already combined in capsules. In Canada, I buy a brand call Swiss Naturals, but I don't know what brands are available in USA. You will be able to find it at health food stores. Each capsule should contain 300 mg magnesium and 1200 mg malic acid.
I have been taking this product for at least 10 months now and I am convinced that it works. To start you take
3 capsules in the morning on an empty stomache, and 3 capsules at bedtime.
I now take 2 capsules in the morning, and 2 capsules at night, and that seems to work.
The biggest benefit for me was no more fatigue. I still have some flareups (see my post from Monday below), and always some pain(I am working on that one), but I no longer need to sleep for 12 hours at night, and nap during the day.
I learned about mag/malic in a book called "From Fatigued to Fantastic" written by a dcotor who specializes in CFS & Fibro.
He says you have to stay on the mag/malic for life.
Give it a try! It will take a couple of days (or weeks) to become effective, but I am sure you will notice a difference.
Good luck, Gail
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 16:32
Registered Member

Plan: Montignac???
Stats: 000/000/000
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default Malic Acid???

What's the malic acid connection? I did buy a Magnesium tonic today.....oh, damn, I just noticed it has ten grams of carbs per dose.....something called Floradix Magnesium, a tonic. I'll check out the book you mention. I just had the awful realization that I've been maintaining myself on pain pills, and when I stopped, realized just how much pain I'm in. I do hope this works!!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-26-03, 22:22

Stats: 287/260/220 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

paxil helps me very much with fibro and arthritis
since I started atkins and because I was tired all the time I cut downon the paxil and am hurting pretty bad, I AM TRYING TO FIND OUT WHAT i
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 09:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Hi Here is a link with some information on the malic acid/ mag connection. I haven't tried it yet but it does seem to make sense. Note the cautious endorsement by Dr Goldstein. I have also read a less than enthusiastic result in a double blind study. So it seems that this is not a miracle cure, but one more brick in the wall.

http://www.prohealthnetwork.com/lib...id/1423/T/Both/

Good Luck All!

Colin
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 16:32
Registered Member

Stats: 147/140/128 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 37%

This is sounding promising!
Now I'm wondering - for those of you trying this, have you noticed any effect on mood? Depression can be a very big issue with me and I am NOT going to live on anti-depressants for the rest of my life. Still - I Would like my kids to grow up believing that Mommy actually IS a nice person from time to time

~Tracy
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 17:59
Registered Member

Stats: 195/195/212 Male 6'0
BF:11%
Progress: 0%

While I don't have fibromyalgia, I do have chronic fatigue syndrome and I find that potassium and magnesium aspartate combination works pretty well.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 18:06

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

The importance of magensium is something the Eades discuss in their book, Protein Power Lifeplan, and frankly, it was something I'd forgoten about until I stumbled across an article last week about the mineral. The thing I found the most interesting was that in order for potassium to work you need to have adequate levels of magnesium. You might find it interesting:

The Magnesium Lottery

-N
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 21:22
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you - I'm going to check that out right away!
~Tracy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 18:49

Plan: Atkin's Modified
Stats: 184/176/150 Female 65"
BF:32%
Progress: 24%

Ditto about the CFS. I also have it and did start taking magnesium, potassium, and L-carnitine. Also NADH for about two straight months.

Now I take nothing except olive leaf extract to combat the flareup of EBV. So far so good.

I would highly recommend trying both supplements.

Almost CFS free....
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 04:16

Stats: 184/162/112 Female 5'5"
BF:31/26/19
Progress: 31%

I found pain killers made the pain in my legs infinitely worse. This seems to be quite common with ME/CFS sufferers, many of whom also have a fairly high level of chemical intolerance.

Magnesium (best taken in a calcium and boron mix to aid absorbtion) worked minor miracles... as did cutting coffee right down (preferably out) and sticking to Lavazza; the one brand which seemed to use a different freeze drying process as I was obviously allergic to the chemical otherwise used. Just before bed a warm/hot bath with two mugs of sea salt and one mug of bicarbonate of soda not only eased the pain immeasurably, it also helped me sleep.

I know some ME/CFS sufferers find hot baths make them feel ill... I only learnt the hard way that this seems to be due to the muscles relaxing and releasing a lot of toxins which otherwise remain trapped, so it was worth persevering.

I also found sticking religiously to the low carb way of eating has utterly transformed my condition... wouldn't recommend keeping wandering off it each time you feel a bit better.

Last edited by UrbanGypsy : Tue, Sep-09-03 at 04:18.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 09:01
Registered Member

BF:

Interesting - I didn't realize that others with these conditions had discomfort in a hot bath. There supposed to be so soothing right? I've also noticed that frequently (though not always and I haven't figured a pattern to it yet) painkillers may take a certain "edge" off, and leave me with a whole mess of other pains/aches that I hadn't even been aware of til then. Forums like this make me feel a bit more like maybe I'm not si crazy after all ; )

I'm beggining to work more magnesium into my daily regimen (to add to all the other supplements! ) Thanks for all the tips everyone!!

~Tracy
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-04-03, 20:01

Plan: Atkin's Modified
Stats: 184/176/150 Female 65"
BF:32%
Progress: 24%

I always have a cramping in my upper left back area and it will get worse. Then I take more magnesium/potassium and it will go away for awhile.

I have added the malic acid two days ago and the pain is almost gone now with no cramping. Also the muscular cramping in my legs is disappearing now also.

Wish I had know three years ago!!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 08:47

Stats: 238/238/150 Female 5-7
BF:
Progress:

Thanks to all of you. I am suffering from fibro. I started to supplement with magnesium about a month ago, the pain has disappeared. I also get very uncomfortable with hot baths but if it will help me relax and sleep.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Oct-06-03, 08:48

Stats: 238/238/150 Female 5-7
BF:
Progress:
Default Anniegiturgun Thanks

Thanks to all of you. I am suffering from fibro. I started to supplement with magnesium about a month ago, the pain has disappeared. I also get very uncomfortable with hot baths but if it will help me relax and sleep.