Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Jun-17-04, 03:50

Plan: none atm. bfl mostly
Stats: 128/115/103 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
30 min cardio AM/ full body workout = circuit training3-5 times (very light 20-25reps)
hi all this thread has been very helpful, thanks.

got one basic question, is that okay if i dont do fbwo=circuit training=supersets but do 4-split instead? e.g. ubwo (mon, thurs), lbwo (tues, fri) e.g. at 3 x 12 or 4 x 10 challenging weights?

does fbwo supersets have special purpose (deplete glycogen so far that i know of) and hence must be included?? or can i just simply substitute fbwo with other weigh training workout on fri (i suppose that would deplete glycogen too? or not?).

thanks a lot.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 14:08

Plan: Body Opus
Stats: 225/205/190 Male 6"
BF:
Progress:
Default I disagree with the workout, Dan

Which of the CKD gurus says to circuit train your entire body 3 days a week?

Dan Duchaine, who wrote Body Opus, says train your body by heavy lifting on Monday and Tuesday, optional cardio Wed/Thur, then deplete Friday.

So does Lyle McDonald:

http://www.thinkmuscle.com/articles...ogenic-diet.htm

I think if you blast your whole body on Monday or Monday/Tuesday then train those muscles again on Wednesday, you're not giving them enough time to rest/grow. This is counterproductive.

Wouldn't you agree?
  #78   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 14:16

BF:
Progress:
Default follow up - Lyle McDonald

If you don't want to weed through all the technical gobbledygook re HGH, insulin, etc. in the above link I posted about Lyle McDonald, here is his suggested CKD routine:

The CKD Workout Routine
With the above estimations for sets and reps having been made, we can develop a sample workout routine. The format for the CKD week is:

Day Workout type Diet

Sunday: 30'+ of low intensity cardio in Ketogenic
morning to establish ketosis
Monday: Tension weight training workout Ketogenic
Tuesday: Tension weight training workout Ketogenic
Wed/Thu: cardio optional for fat loss Ketogenic
Fri: Full body workout Ketogenic prior to workout
Begin carb-load after workout
Saturday: No workout Carb load

#79   ^
Old Mon, Jun-21-04, 16:51

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%

In the early posts in the CKD 101 thread, it was a response as to what workout scheme a member at that time used to get her results (Fern2340) ... She used a program I created, and got phenomenal results ... So, I posted the scheme. Your results may vary.

However, further in the thread .. there are several posts that show different workout schemes.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...42&postcount=37

or, from Mr. X's CKD post ...

Day:

1- 30 min cardio morning(empty stomach)/workout: Chest, Upper-Back, shoulders, arms, traps, abs

2- 30 min cardio morning/ workout: Legs, (includes, calfs, hams,quads), lower-back

3- 45 min cardio morning OR 1 hour cardio during the day

4- SAME AS DAY 3

5- 30-45 min cardio AM no workout

6- 30 min cardio AM/ full body workout = circuit training 3-5 times (very light 20-25reps)

7- before carb-up…early in AM do a full body circuit workout 3-5 times (very light 20-25reps), then IMMEDIATELY begin CARB-UP.

The CKD101 thread is just a "sticky post" for people to read all of the basics and useful info when they are interested in trying a CKD.
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Jun-22-04, 12:13

BF:
Progress:
Default Excellent

Thanks for the clarification, Dan. It's an extremely useful thread overall.

BTW, your best pic is Waikiki. Your chest looks nice and full there. Maybe that's a post carb-up pic?

Keep up the good work. Great forum!
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-04, 16:39

Plan: modified
Stats: 166/164/145 Female 5'9"
BF:flabby/to/firm
Progress: 10%

OMG, this diet is amazing. I'm still kinda confused but I've thoroughly read the first page. I'm going to finish reading it when I get a chance and then I'm sure I'll be filled with questions.

What a great thread!
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-04, 00:45

Plan: less than 20 grams
Stats: 145/129.5/110 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 44%

my first year of low-carbing was weekdays on, weekends off.
Although I lost 14 lbs, going back into ketosis every weds/ thurs was draining, so now I stay on low-carb all the time, except for about 2x a year
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Oct-12-04, 04:00
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Do you think just because you did this that you were doing a CKD? There is much more involved in CKD than merely "doing Atkins" during the week and cheating on weekends.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 23:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/172/175 Male 5'6"
BF:23.5
Progress: 175%
Default Oh My God This Is The Holy Grail!!!

I am soooooo lucky I stumbled on this. I had almost figured this out on my own but now i have all the science to back my theory. i am immediately trying this. I GET TO EAT HAMBURGER HELPER AGAIN!!! HELLO RED LOBSTER!!! WOOHOO!

Trainer dan please email me! I have some very good questions on this stuff and optimization theories as well, you are a GOD!

talk to me!
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 07:47

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default ok

Need an email address for you Champ.

Or you can e-mail me. Trainerdan71 at hotmail.com.
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Jan-15-05, 07:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/172/175 Male 5'6"
BF:23.5
Progress: 175%
Default Finished my first ever carb load!

Trainer Dan I have written a ton of info and questions under the stalls area in tips. There is a forum there titled "the ultmiate efficient frontier" which is what i at the time was theorizing glycogen maintenance would effectively be. I have learned much since posting my first posts theree as youll see in my following posts in the forum. There are several questions later on unanswered tho.

I did a carb load on thursday. 550 grams carbs..god that was hard to do..i dont know how really big people can eat that much every day, god man I almost passed out so tired from all the eating. When I went ot the gym, tons more energy and 10-20% instant strength gain. Had to add plates to every excersize nearly. Was way more mentally into the workout and focused, more energy.muscles felt firmer, bigger..better pump, wow!

Today I did the low glycemic carbos 220 grams. My workout was still good, not wuite as noticeable in strength but again, more plates on nearly all excersizes (different body parts of course) I superset my whole workout, no rest between different and opposite body parts so I get a good cardio type routine going. (superset circuit basically, my favorite kind of workout, just go go go)

Since the day before the carb load I have gained 2.8 pounds 2.2 muscle, 0.6 fat. Was up another pound yesterday also and felt fat as heck after my gym trip but better today now.

I am looking way better in the mirror and its strange to see how much better but not see that reflected in my bodyfat %age on the scale, hasnt moved in almost 2 weeks but I look way different then 2 weeks ago. Strange. Also, since loading, my body water scale is all over the place, different reading every time i step on it, like it cant read me. Im just using averages now..
Q1. any explanation for the water reading being wierd now?

Q2. why 550 grams of carbs? why not 200 why not 1000? why 3 grams per pound? whats it based on?

Q3. why do I have to look for low sugar carbs? what makes sugary foods not as good for this?

Q4. How long do glycogen stores last for? Ive heard some of your buddies say 7-10 days till another replenishment is needed and ive read in several places you can use them all up in one single workout. If the latter is true, we will never be able to lose fat it seems as we will need to GR (glycogen replenishment) every couple days killing induction.

Q5. Will I still be able to gain muscle doing induction and CKD? or is this designed just for maintenance? It seems like it would be hard to gain muscle when your glycogen short a lot.

Q6. How much bodyfat should I be able to use if I dont cheat, have a high intensity program including cardio 5 days a week, eat right, supplement, etc over 12 weeks (3mos)

Q7. I need to lose 20 pounds of fat, but i need to be able to retain and ideally gain a lot of muscle at the same time, is there an optimal way to achieve this?

Q8. What do you know about apple pectin for weight loss accel and chromium picolinate as well?

Q9. What do you know about cortislim? cortislice?

Q10. What do you think about prohormone androstenedione?

Q11. When Im on induction, I have a calorie deficit thats huge. In fact I eat below my basal metabolic rate. BMR = 1780 I eat 1600. 180 grams protein, 25 carbs, rest fat. I burn average 400 cals a day at the gym. 4000 shortfall a week approx. Will eating below my basal rate put my body on starvation mode? Is this a bad thing to do? Am I eating too little? I dont understand how people do this then cause im eating max/day carbs and more protein then most eat, and tons of fats.

Q12. What makes your body eat muscle and not fat? How can we stop this from happeneing? This seems to happen to me every time I diet.

Well thats it for now, have more but i dont want to kill you with one session

Thanks Dan you rule buddy!
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 21:08

Plan: UD2
Stats: 195/180/175 Male 68 inches
BF:15%/8%/7.0%
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaDani
This is probably a dumb question, so I apologize in advance, but I'm not sure whether you're supposed to start with the Friday depletion workout and the carb up or be in ketosis when you start (say Sun or Mon). I think the Mon. workout would kick my butt without the extra carbs...? Anyway, tomorrow is Friday and I'm all fired up to workout till I drop and then carb up, so please let me know if this is the wrong way to start.

Thanks,
Dani

You definitely want to start on the Monday with the low carb week. Moreover, I'd recommend skipping the first weekend carbup and go right thru to the following week, then do your first carbup on the second weekend. After that, it's CKD business as usual.
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Jan-30-05, 03:09
Registered Member

Plan: Lean For Life
Stats: 151.4/140.4/125 Female 63 inches
BF:34%/25%/20%
Progress: 42%

Hi -thanks so much for your input!It's people like you who really help others!It was almost a book! I must add that you look fantastic!It's hard to believe you were once that kid with the sunglasses.Amazing.....Thanks for all the info!!
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Oct-06-05, 16:25

Plan: Neandergirl
Stats: 145/131/122 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:36/34/19
Progress: 61%

Trainer Dan
I have a question for you I hope you are still responding to this thread.

My husband is losing weight rapidly via the PSMF for two weeks then on to maintanence (which is still considered low carb) for one week. Following that he is participating in a climbing competion. Should be carb load to maximize his performance or will the carbs back fire on him and make him tired? GrooveJock has said he should stick low carb; I tend to agree. What do YOU think?????
  #90   ^
Old Mon, Nov-28-05, 15:23

Plan: south beach
Stats: 230/225/175 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Trainerdan,

I am trying to find out how to do the CKD correctly... what is your website? I would like to see the exact plan that you and Fern followed. Also how long can you stay on this diet?